Fountain Pen Memory

youngpenlove

Hi,

I just joined the board and here is a brief introduction. Fountain pens were my favorite kind of pens when I was in college. I remember my Sheaffer Targa black with gold trim given to me by my dad during my Sophomore year. I used for two years and gave it to a friend who seemed to liked fountain pens more than I did.

That was almost twenty years ago and life has taken me to many continents and years of work in different offices. I used ballpoint pens but never liked them. A few years ago I switched to rollerball pens and liked the smooth ink flow.

Couple months ago I saw a picture of a Sheaffer Targa and all the sweet memory came right back. I missed my fountain pen. Many hours looking and shopping on the web later, I've got two Waterman Carenes, one medium and one fine nib. Then, a Pelikan M800 medium and a Montblanc 146 medium. I am using all of them with different colors (MB black, black/blue, and blue; Waterman Florida blue, green and red; Pelikan black). I am having a good time with them and will post my experience when I get more consistency out of my writing. I use the pens to write in both English and Chinese and I have noticed some interesting differences among the pens I have. That is fun too.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• Roger

• youngpenlove

• grasshopper

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi YPL (youngpenlove) and welcome to FPN! :D

Well, you certainly came back to fountain pens in style!

Two Waterman Carenes, a Pelikan M800 and a MB 146---nice choices all! :)

Hope you enjoy perusing the various forums here. Looking forward to seeing some writing samples/pen pictures.

Greetings YPL,

I think Maja has come up with an appropriate "handle" for you given the absence of a real name.

Yes, you came back to FPs with a vengence! :) Good reliable marques that would be easy to sell if your interest wanes again.

When your time permits, I would enjoy it if you would post a very critical review of the MB 146 versus the Pelikan M800. They're much the same and I think of them as equals, thus logical choices for anyone looking to purchase that class of pen.

Enjoy the FPN Board. :D

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Welcome aboard! As others have already said, when you decided to come back to FPs, you did it in style! No messing around with you. I too would be interested in a very analytical comparision of the MB with the M800. Wouldn't mind seeing a review of the Carene either. Regardless of whether you get to the reviews or not, glad to have you here. Enjoy!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Guest Denis Richard

Welcome YPL !

It's a bit like falling in love again with your highschool sweetheart, huh ? :lol:

Enjoy the site !

Denis.

Edited by Denis Richard

Thank you all for the replies! Maja has picked a great name for me. YPL is fine. I am otherwise known as Mike.

I really like the pens I have got so far but I have to really slow down on my FP acquisition before my wife write off all my Christmas and birthday presents for the next few years.

I will try the reviews in a few days. I am hesitant a little bit because I am still learning the right language for writing the reviews. Trust me, I am spending as many hours as possible reading this forum so I can catch up.

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

YPL

I will try the reviews in a few days. I am hesitant a little bit because I am still learning the right language for writing the reviews. Trust me, I am spending as many hours as possible reading this forum so I can catch up.

Oh gees, Mike. Don't make work out of the reviews. Do them if and when it suits you and because you want to do them. I hope we didn't apply too much pressure. Enjoy the board and don't feel obligated to do reviews.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Oh gees, Mike. Don't make work out of the reviews. Do them if and when it suits you and because you want to do them. I hope we didn't apply too much pressure. Enjoy the board and don't feel obligated to do reviews.

I agree with Roger! It's a very non-critical site here, Mike. We just love collecting, using and reading about pens, inks, paper, etc. It's just nice to hear someone describe their experiences with a pen (for example) that some of us have never seen in person. If you can get that across in your review, then that's all you need to do :)

Hello there youngpenlove/YPL/otherwise known as Mike! :lol:

Welcome to the Nuthouse! :bunny1:

Unless you have strong discipline, you'll regret you ever found this place! ;) All we ever do here is entice each other with modern and vintage pens, so don't blame us if your wife doesn't allow you to visit FPN anymore, let alone writing off your presents! :lol: (Actually, I'm sure some of us here already have methods to overcome this issue :ph34r: )

It's a bit like falling in love again with your highschool sweetheart, huh ? :lol:

Denis took the words right out of my mouth (or is it "off my fingers" in netspeak??)

See you around the boards, Mike.

G.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...