The Server switch has been completed

Admin

I too couldn't get on this morning, but now it's not a problem.

Many thanks to our hard working gang! Job well done!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Ink Stained Wretch

• Col

• q182645

Nice job and thank you. :thumbup: If it wasn't for your hard work, I would have a lot of time to devote to other things, rather than checking FPN every hour! :headsmack:

Couldn't get on this morning but working great now. Thanks to all involved for your hard work.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks admins for a great job.

Just a note . . . the 'Stay Logged On Forever' option is no longer available, not sure if that's intentional.

"Thus Ar-Pharazôn, King of the Land of the Star, grew to the mightiest tyrant

that had yet been in the world since the reign of Morgoth . . ."

— J.R.R. Tolkien, Akallabêth —

I just noticed that my Avatar has reset itself to my old Avatar instead of what I was using yesterday!?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Well done, people. Absolutely painless for me here in the UK. Does everyone agree that it seems about ten times more snappy now?

There is something admins might want to note though, regarding topic notifications. From my mail server logs:

00000002 00000000 27/10/2007 08:00:19 Sent ODMR to smtp.mailkeep.net. Response: 250 ok switching to client mode

00000001 00000000 27/10/2007 08:00:19 IP Whitelist: Matched 216.46.27.155

+ 00000002 smtp.mailkeep.net (216.46.27.155) [27/10/2007 08:00]

00000001 00000002 27/10/2007 08:00:20 HELO smtp.mailkeep.net ---> 250 smtp.midair.net

00000001 00000002 27/10/2007 08:00:20 IP Whitelist: Matched 216.46.27.155

00008000 00000002 27/10/2007 08:00:23 Abuse: Could not verify return path host fpnhost.fountainpennetwork.com

00000001 00000002 27/10/2007 08:00:23 MAIL FROM:<nobody@fpnhost.fountainpennetwork.com> ---> 554 cannot verify return path

00000001 00000002 27/10/2007 08:00:23 RSET ---> 554 cannot verify return path

00000001 00000002 27/10/2007 08:00:23 RSET ---> 250 clearing sender and recipient list, go ahead

00000001 00000002 27/10/2007 08:00:23 QUIT ---> 221 have a nice day (SMTP Closing)

00000001 00000002 27/10/2007 08:00:23 SMTP Client Disconnected (216.46.27.155): No RCPT TO

As you might see, this was received via my backup mail server. I'm waiting to receive a notification message directly, and if the problem persists I'll let you know.

---

Edit: Ah, just received one even as I posted the above reply:

00001000 00000000 27/10/2007 13:41:35 SMTP: (Accept) Receiving connection from 69.65.103.214

+ 0000000C fpnhost.fountainpennetwork.com (69.65.103.214) [27/10/2007 13:41]

00000001 0000000C 27/10/2007 13:41:36 EHLO fpnhost.fountainpennetwork.com ---> 250 smtp.midair.net

00008000 0000000C 27/10/2007 13:41:40 Abuse: Could not verify return path host fpnhost.fountainpennetwork.com

00000001 0000000C 27/10/2007 13:41:40 MAIL FROM:<nobody@fpnhost.fountainpennetwork.com> ---> 554 cannot verify return path

00000001 0000000C 27/10/2007 13:41:40 QUIT ---> 221 have a nice day (SMTP Closing)

00000001 0000000C 27/10/2007 13:41:40 SMTP Client Disconnected (69.65.103.214): No RCPT TO

So it does persist.

Yes, thanks Col, I just noticed that too.

Looks like we may have forgotten to configure the mail server properly.

Looking into that right now, just that it may take a day or two before it's fixed, as we are going from a hosted account on a VPS server to a full-blown VPS server.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I just noticed that my Avatar has reset itself to my old Avatar instead of what I was using yesterday!?

Sorry for that. This may have been caused by the final update we did to make sure everything worked ok, as there appeared to be some picture files missing. Please add it again, if you don't mind too much.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Thanks admins for a great job.

Just a note . . . the 'Stay Logged On Forever' option is no longer available, not sure if that's intentional.

I'll see if I can find it.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Huzzah!

I was trying to post a reply this morning when I suddenly couldn't get it to preview. And then I remembered that this work was going on. Luckily my computer didn't do its crash routine while I left the message sitting there in a browser window waiting for FPN to come back.

Thanks for all of the hard work!

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Thank you, Thank you! All systems seems to be working just fine now. :thumbup:

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

I am not certain of the reason for the server switch; however, I still have difficulty connecting fairly frequently, sometimes for an hour or more. I try 3 different browsers, (Safari for Windows, my standard, if no joy, Firefox, if no joy, Internet Exploder) to eliminate browser issues as a cause.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Hip Hip Huzzah! GRRRRRRRRRR!!! (That's three cheers and a growler for the admin team).

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Hip! Hip! Hurray!

Thanks for all the work. I always hated working nights and weekends. :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :yikes:

Time flies like an arrow;

Fruit flies like a banana.

---- Groucho Marx

Dear esteemed members!

We are happy to announce that the work has now been completed. Phew!

If there are any problems, as usual, just let us know.

Our thanks must go to Roy and Cam for their invaluable efforts on this. Three cheers, please!

The FPN Admin Team.

Looks like you did a great job. Thanks!

I am not certain of the reason for the server switch; however, I still have difficulty connecting fairly frequently, sometimes for an hour or more. I try 3 different browsers, (Safari for Windows, my standard, if no joy, Firefox, if no joy, Internet Exploder) to eliminate browser issues as a cause.

Donnie

It must be your aura................... :ltcapd:

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Yes, thanks Col, I just noticed that too. Looks like we may have forgotten to configure the mail server properly.

Looking into that right now, just that it may take a day or two before it's fixed, as we are going from a hosted account on a VPS server to a full-blown VPS server.

Understood - thanks for that.

My own mail server is configured to check to see if the domain specified in the FROM: statement has a valid MX or A record in the DNS - fpnhost.fountainpennetwork.com appears to have neither at present. These checks are more or less essential these days, to help to prevent DOS attacks or SPAM. However, I've simply excepted your host domain to allow the messages through, so no hurry with the fix as far as I'm concerned.

Col

The viewing number of the topics doesn't change. :blink:

Everything else worked just great for me. :thumbup:

Edit: The problem was solved.

Everything is great.

Edited by q182645
bunny01.gif Currently use: Pelikan M200 Blue Marble, Fine Nib.

Dear FPN Admin Team,

Thanks for all your hard work. I missed most of the dust up do to being out, but I think the new server is just swell.

Regards,

Wade

Sending with regards (my 73s)

Wade

KG4KAH

On two occasions since the switch over to the new server I've been unable to connect to FPN during the wee hours of the night/morning.

These have both occurred when I'd already been on FPN for a while. On both occasions I was trying to preview a message when I suddenly couldn't connect anymore. The most recent time when this happened was at about 12:50 AM (ET) this morning.

Any advice? I see it's happening to someone else too. Are we all experiencing these non-connections at the same time?

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell