What is difference between Montblanc Meisterstuck LeGrand Fountain Pens - 149 and 146

johnpaulbuchuk

In the 20/30s Montblanc started to use this classification for its pens :

1X:range

2X:filling system

3X:nib size

So:

1: Meisterstuck,

4: Piston Filler,

9: Nib Size.

Bye!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherwood Forester

• goodguy

• Flere-Imsaho

• jslallar

Also, is the 146 lacking an ink window?

The regular MB 146 LeGrand is a piston filler and has an ink window.

The regular MB 146 LeGrand Traveller is a cartridge filler with a cartridge sleeve and does not have an ink window.

Both have "2 tone" 14 K gold nib with platinum inlay.

The regular MB 149 Diplomat is a piston filler, has an ink window and a "3 tone" 18 K gold nib with platinum inlay.

However, be aware that if you buy the MB149 at a taxfree airport shop or on ebay you risk

the pen having a "2 tone" 14 K gold nib with platinum inlay. So always be sure to check what

nib is offered if you buy a MB 149 not directly from Montblanc.

As far as I heard the 14K nib is better and springier than the 18K nib.

Respect to all

As far as I heard the 14K nib is better and springier than the 18K nib.

18K nibs are typically more flexible than 14K nibs. The reason is pure gold is very soft. When you alloy it with another metal it makes it harder. 18K gold has 75% gold and only 25% other metals while 14K has only 58% gold and 42% other metals in the alloy. Of course you can pay a nib expert to grind down any nib to make it more flexible, but a higher purity of gold will start out a bit softer.

I would second the suggestions to give your grandfather a "trip to the pen store" for him to pick out whatever pen he likes. Pens are very personal things both in the way they feel and write, and the way they look. If you make this a special outing for him you will make the pen a more memorable keepsake because it will include the experience of going with you, and it will make him much happier in that he will have picked out the ideal pen that fits his own hand, writing style, and personality. It may be that he picks out a Montblanc, but it may also be that he picks out another brand and style where he can get more quality for the money. No matter what he chooses he will be a very happy grandfather, I'm sure.

Take a look at the vintage super flex nibs - I know of none that are 18k, only come across 14k. 18k is softer - yes, more flexible - no. Many other factors determine a nib's flex - I believe 18k nibs do not have as good a flex properties as 14k nibs, 18K is more likely to fail under flex.

Of course I am certainly no expert on these matters but these are my observations and a wee bit of engineering knowledge.

The two tone 149 nibs in 14k are not a lesser nib at all; I personally prefer them for both the 14k properties and the aesthetics.

Edited by jaytaylor

Sorry to contredict your claim "Kimo" but the MASTER himself Richard Binder said what makes a flexible nib isnt the material rather then the design.

Most flex nibs are made of 14K gold and not 18K.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Out of all the fp's I've used or tried Omas, Pelikan, Viscontti, the MB 146 Platinum trim is my favorite. It fits perfect in my hand and it writes perfect everytime. I use it everyday everywhere. I have an extra fine nib on it though. I plan on getting at least two more. This writing instrument is so sweet!!!

Gurus,

I am planning to buy a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck LeGrand Fountain Pen as a gift to my grandfather. He loves them. I was shopping on Amazon and I found that there are two avaliable options a Meisterstuck LeGrand Fountain Pen 149 which is about $120 USD more than Meisterstuck LeGrand Fountain Pen 146. The only difference that my novice eye could find was the numbers 146 and 149. Please help me choose.

Thanks,

John

As with the Pelikans the number refers to the size of the pen. The 149 is very big, the 146 is just big. I would highly advise nipping into a shop that sells Mont Blancs and picking the actual things up first, some people like oversized pens whilst others cannot use them, and it's a lot of money to spend without finding whoch type of person you are.

--------------------------EDIT-----------------------------------------------

SORRY

Didn't realise the new board software hadn't different styles for displaying threads and though that this post hadn't been answered. The contents of this post have already been discussed far more eloquently above.

--------------------------EDIT-----------------------------------------------

Edited by Shabubu

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon... "

Terry Pratchett

I own both the 146 and the 149. Both are nice pens, but the 149 is much nicer. The difference is in the nib. Not only does it look more attractive, but it writes better on the page.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

• 4 years later...

Hello All!

I am obviously very very late (years!) coming in on this topic but I have only just found it. I had also been wondering about the difference between the 146 and 149 models because I too prefer a larger pen. The answers and particularly the pictures supplied have been most informative and helpful.

Thanks to all who sent in their answers, observations and opinions.

PS : I am intrigued by your flag, GOODGUY. It is obviously not the good old Maple Leaf of Canada which I would have expected to see. So which is it? I am a Brit and thought I knew all the flags which include our own red, white and blue Union symbol but I am beaten this time! I am curious about the other symbol, too, in red, white and green(?)

Best regards

To err is human. To errrrrrrr is confusion.

fpn_1376577066__new_signature.jpg

PS : I am intrigued by your flag, GOODGUY. It is obviously not the good old Maple Leaf of Canada which I would have expected to see. So which is it? I am a Brit and thought I knew all the flags which include our own red, white and blue Union symbol but I am beaten this time! I am curious about the other symbol, too, in red, white and green(?)

Best regards

The Provence of Ontario.

Thanks, JAR.

I feel such a fool...even more so as it was not even a Canadian who came up with the answer. I guess I should have gone for the geography option at school instead of some other subject but I do recognise the Lone Star State! Probably history would have come in useful, too. That's what you get for choosing sciences. My choices didn't help me to become another Einstein, either.

On the subject of flags, although I use the British flag, I am thinking of changing it to the English one to distinguish me from my Scottish, Irish and Welsh brethren. Most of our Counties have their own flag and here in Nottinghamshire there was a recent poll to design and choose one for this County. Not surprisingly most designs included Robin Hood, our most famous character from history, and he features in the centre of the new flag.

I think it will be a long time before FPN offers that as an option, though!

Anyway, sorry for wandering off the subject of our beloved pens.

Best wishes to all.

Thanks, JAR.

I feel such a fool...even more so as it was not even a Canadian who came up with the answer. I guess I should have gone for the geography option at school instead of some other subject but I do recognise the Lone Star State! Probably history would have come in useful, too. That's what you get for choosing sciences. My choices didn't help me to become another Einstein, either.

On the subject of flags, although I use the British flag, I am thinking of changing it to the English one to distinguish me from my Scottish, Irish and Welsh brethren. Most of our Counties have their own flag and here in Nottinghamshire there was a recent poll to design and choose one for this County. Not surprisingly most designs included Robin Hood, our most famous character from history, and he features in the centre of the new flag.

I think it will be a long time before FPN offers that as an option, though!

Anyway, sorry for wandering off the subject of our beloved pens.

Best wishes to all.

post-28018-0-29273800-1324057434.png

You should look to see what size pen your grandfather uses.

I'm from his era, and grew up with standard sized like the now M400 or the old Esterbrook DJ, and medium large pens like the P-51.

I found the P-149 to be an Over Sized pen....lighter than expected but something I'd have to grow into.

The 146 was more a usable size, even though it is a Large pen the @ size of a Pelikan 800.

There are smaller models.

I like the suggestion if you have a pen shop near by that you take him there and let him pick... Call up in advance so they can trot the pens out with out the price in his face, so he picks what he likes and not what might save you money.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks again, JAR

As Clint Eastwood could have said at the end of 'Dirty Harry'..."You made my day".

Like your poetry, too!

Back to those MB's and until I actually get to test them both, my choice based on looks and size would be the 149.

If Santa isn't listening I guess I'll have to start saving hard from now on.

Thanks again, JAR

As Clint Eastwood could have said at the end of 'Dirty Harry'..."You made my day".

Like your poetry, too!

Back to those MB's and until I actually get to test them both, my choice based on looks and size would be the 149.

If Santa isn't listening I guess I'll have to start saving hard from now on.

You should really fondle both. When I do carry one of my Montblancs I find that the 146s get far more pocket time than my 149s.

buying both pens is the best thing that make will you appreciate both as well as collect both ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

For some reasons, I usually end up choosing 149 over 146. My first fountain pen was a 146. But, I ended up having three 149s and another one is on the way. I find the 149 is a great writer. Since the 146 is slimmmer than 149, I often take my 146 to my work. Both of them are great pens. But, the price different for 149 and 146 is not that much given the starting price for both pen is not cheap.

MB's 2 leather case is a perfect fit for 149s.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I must confess that until now I have never seen any Mont Blancs other than in photos on FPN or in pen-related magazines and catalogues, although that is enough to stir my longings. If that unfamiliarity seems strange it is because my attention has always been focussed on something else (usually another brand of pen) in the very few shops I have been in which actually stock them. They really are not that common in my neck of the woods!

So at the risk of seeming foolish I want to ask what are the stripe-like features on the barrel below the screw threads? A series of viewing 'windows' to see the ink level? Or merely some kind of decorative item? I hope it does have a useful purpose otherwise it spoils the look of this brilliant writing instrument.

PS : Just as an aside, a passing thought, (one which has probably already been argued and discussed ad infinitum, but I am a newcomer to FPN so forgive me) and to throw a stone into the pond...I can never understand why anyone, no matter how much they revere their pen or pens, (unless the instrument is very old and frail...which most of us pen owners also become with the passing of the years) should choose not to ink them. Yes, I also love to sometimes get out my favourite pens simply to hold and admire them when I am not actually wanting to write but that pleasure is nothing compared to the pleasure and satisfaction of writing with them. They are essentially tools to perform a function, even if they are beautiful and artistic in the same way as a gorgeous car, watch, hunting knife, pair of shoes, et.c. Who would buy any of those items merely to keep in a garage, drawer or cupboard without using them? The only excuse (and frustration) is when you own and cherish more than one of any such item and it is therefore not possible to use all of them at the same time!

I shall now put on my tin hat and body armour before diving for cover. Be gentle with me!

I must confess that until now I have never seen any Mont Blancs other than in photos on FPN or in pen-related magazines and catalogues, although that is enough to stir my longings. If that unfamiliarity seems strange it is because my attention has always been focussed on something else (usually another brand of pen) in the very few shops I have been in which actually stock them. They really are not that common in my neck of the woods!

So at the risk of seeming foolish I want to ask what are the stripe-like features on the barrel below the screw threads? A series of viewing 'windows' to see the ink level? Or merely some kind of decorative item? I hope it does have a useful purpose otherwise it spoils the look of this brilliant writing instrument.

PS : Just as an aside, a passing thought, (one which has probably already been argued and discussed ad infinitum, but I am a newcomer to FPN so forgive me) and to throw a stone into the pond...I can never understand why anyone, no matter how much they revere their pen or pens, (unless the instrument is very old and frail...which most of us pen owners also become with the passing of the years) should choose not to ink them. Yes, I also love to sometimes get out my favourite pens simply to hold and admire them when I am not actually wanting to write but that pleasure is nothing compared to the pleasure and satisfaction of writing with them. They are essentially tools to perform a function, even if they are beautiful and artistic in the same way as a gorgeous car, watch, hunting knife, pair of shoes, et.c. Who would buy any of those items merely to keep in a garage, drawer or cupboard without using them? The only excuse (and frustration) is when you own and cherish more than one of any such item and it is therefore not possible to use all of them at the same time!

I shall now put on my tin hat and body armour before diving for cover. Be gentle with me!

Dear epistotle italicus

firstly, yes you are right it's an ink viewing window, with alternating black and transparent lines. Both 149s and modern 146s have them.

many here have more pens than they could ever use and have several of the same kind with differences like colours / finishes, nib sizes etc. i feel like you do and mwrote in another thread that "buying a pen and not use it is like buying a car and not driving it", but somehere have so many pens that they can buy and keep thier pens in original unused condition to admire them, and not be worse of because they have more of the same to enjoy and satisfy their taste.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

QUOTE(blak000 @ Oct 25 2007, 10:31 AM) 402212[/snapback]Also, is the 146 lacking an ink window?

The regular MB 146 LeGrand is a piston filler and has an ink window.

The regular MB 146 LeGrand Traveller is a cartridge filler with a cartridge sleeve and does not have an ink window.

Both have "2 tone" 14 K gold nib with platinum inlay.

The regular MB 149 Diplomat is a piston filler, has an ink window and a "3 tone" 18 K gold nib with platinum inlay.

However, be aware that if you buy the MB149 at a taxfree airport shop or on ebay you risk

the pen having a "2 tone" 14 K gold nib with platinum inlay. So always be sure to check what

nib is offered if you buy a MB 149 not directly from Montblanc.

149 is just '149'. Not Diplomat.

MB started calling them Diplomats, but then lost a law suit to Diplomat company, a fairly old gernan pen maker in their own right, and dropped the name.

Edited by jslallar

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid