What is difference between Montblanc Meisterstuck LeGrand Fountain Pens - 149 and 146

johnpaulbuchuk

Gurus,

I am planning to buy a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck LeGrand Fountain Pen as a gift to my grandfather. He loves them. I was shopping on Amazon and I found that there are two avaliable options a Meisterstuck LeGrand Fountain Pen 149 which is about $120 USD more than Meisterstuck LeGrand Fountain Pen 146. The only difference that my novice eye could find was the numbers 146 and 149. Please help me choose.

Thanks,

John

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherwood Forester

• goodguy

• Flere-Imsaho

• jar

The 149 is bigger and fatter than the 146.

The 3rd digit of the number is about the size.

My advise would be to go for the 149 for your grandfather.

smilehttp://home.kpn.nl/geele160/pinno.gifand enjoy the moment

For the MB's, ignoring the limited editions, the 149 is the flagship model, however unless you definately want a MB there are many other fine fountain pens out there...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

The MB149 is in my view really a fantastic pen. Forget the marketing hype of MB, and forget the MB bashing.

Take your favourite stack of paper with you, just go into a real MB store, sit down at the table and test drive the 149 in the different nib sizes. Take your time and write. Then you will leave the store with the 149.

(Here in Amsterdam and Düsseldorf you can sit and test the MB149 in the MB store.)

http://www.montblanc.com/media/background/B11000__bg.jpg

Edited by Hans Geelen

The 146 is a nice pen - and cheaper than the 149. The main advantage of the 149 is that it is a little bigger and it has a bigger nib. If you really wish to get your grandpa a nice pen, go for the 146 Solitaire - unfortunately it will cost you even more (much more, actually) than the 149!

Personally I thought the 149 was too big for a pen (at least too big for me). It would be fun to write with for a short period of time, but after a couple minutes it would feel burdensome. I left the boutique with the 146; its large size feels a little more natural. Find out if your grandfather has any hand problems. How large are the pens he usually writes with? Either way, it will make for a nice addition to his collection. Watch the nib size, though. MBs run wide. I usually write with a fine point and I had to buy an extra-fine.

Edited by PenTieRun

Mont Blanc pens :cloud9:

One of my favorite subjects to talk about and my favorite pen.

My MB 149 is my favorite pen.Holding the pen in my hands is making me smile.

The pen is the most classic pen ever made !!!

Go for the 149.

The 146 is a fantastic pen too,it doesnt look much smaller in the pictures but once you hold it you see how small it is in comparison to the 149.

Altogether both pens are fantastic pens.I own them both and enjoy them :bunny01: .

post-2027-1193279444_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

The 149's nib looks more pleasing to the eye, in my opinion. Gotta love that two-tone. Also, is the 146 lacking an ink window? If it is, the 149 seems like a much more functional pen. Of course, there is that issue, that Ray mentioned, of less comfort with a fatter pen.

My vote is on the 149.

Edited by blak000

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

Ahh... well, that changes things a bit. I suppose it just comes down to what the OP's grandfather prefers in pen size. I think I change my mind to the 146... I've always liked smaller, lightweight pens over their fatter brethren.

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

The 'Le Grand' (146) has one advantage over the 149: it is available as a cartridge filler, if preferred. The cartridge version of the 146 is the 147 Traveller. The 149 is certainly an impressive pen, but it's basically a desk pen, while the 146/147 is more versatile - as well as cheaper. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference.

My advice would be to give him a Gift Certificate from a Pen shop and go with him and let him right with different MB's and choose for himself.

For me fountain pens are very personal and I spend ages (most of the time) testing them before I buy. Often the ones i have bought in a hurry I have ended up not using or taking back.

As i fractured my thumb in a mountain bike accident size and weight are very important otherwise I suffer from lots of pain when i write.

You have been given some good answers, and the photos comparing the 146 and 149 sizes are good. I usually like to compare by analogy. If you are familar with Pelikans, the 149 is about the size of the Pel M-1000 and the 146 is about the size of the M-800. The MB's are a little smaller, but they seem smaller than they are because of their streamlined bullet shape.

I like MB's and Pels because both are dead on reliable, always starting up when the nib touches paper even after sitting unused for days at a time. Depending on my mood, I alternate between the larger and smaller pens, though I tend to like the larger ones more.

I like the idea of giving granddad a gift certificate and going with him to a shop to try out the pens. Otherwise, just ask him what he would prefer for a size.

Good luck.

I would give him the certificate and go with him as well. You can't tell by hand size as I've got small hands, yet prefer big pens because they're easier for me to use for long periods of time. A fountain pen is a personal item and really needs to be test driven by the future owner.

I think you're a darling for caring enough to give such a fantastic present. :wub:

Also, is the 146 lacking an ink window?

The regular MB 146 LeGrand is a piston filler and has an ink window.

The regular MB 146 LeGrand Traveller is a cartridge filler with a cartridge sleeve and does not have an ink window.

Both have "2 tone" 14 K gold nib with platinum inlay.

The regular MB 149 Diplomat is a piston filler, has an ink window and a "3 tone" 18 K gold nib with platinum inlay.

However, be aware that if you buy the MB149 at a taxfree airport shop or on ebay you risk

the pen having a "2 tone" 14 K gold nib with platinum inlay. So always be sure to check what

nib is offered if you buy a MB 149 not directly from Montblanc.