The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Brief Overview: The Sailor "Charmer"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:57

A few months ago I spotted an interesting modern Sailor short-long fountain pen on a Japanese website, but as the model name was unclear, I didn't look into it further - until recently. I sent the lovely Taki a little picture of the pen, and with her generous and kind assistance I found out all the details, and also that I was able to buy the pen from the Ujuku Shop!

The pen is the Sailor Charmer (pronounced sha-ru-mey), a relatively inexpensive little steel-nibbed pen, seemingly aimed at the female buyer. Here is the Charmer with a 1970's Pilot Elite:

With the cap off, you can see that it is not technically a short-long, because the decorative, wide center band is not part of the cap. (This means the Charmer isn't quite as long as a traditional short-long pen when posted.) When capped the Charmer is 120mm (4.7") long, and when posted it is 135mm (5.3") long. The posted length is about 10mm shorter when compared to similar vintage Sailor / Pilot / Platinum pens.

The steel nib is an "F-4" Fine, and is very firm. The nib is also very smooth, and the flow is a little generous - like most modern Sailor nibs. The Charmer section is a little chunkier than its predecessors, so it's quite comfortable to hold. The Charmer takes a standard Sailor cartridge or piston-converter.

Because I have about a dozen original Japanese short pens, I just had to get a look at Sailor's modern version and add it to my collection. The Charmer is a nice little pen - nothing really special - but it's well made with a nice lacquered aluminium body, and it feels good in the hand.

A real cutie!

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection 

Sponsored Content

#2 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 14:24

Nice! Do they make one for us big manly men?smile.gif

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#3 adair

adair

Adair

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 14:59

Very nice. I have a sleek black Pilot short-long pen---NOS, I believe. Unfortunately, the nib is ultra-fine, too much so for me. I think that the Pilots only came with fine nibs. Do the Sailor versions come in different nib sizes or also only fine? I like that they take piston-fill converters. The Pilot pen is aerometric, another aspect of it that I dislike.

#4 jmkeuning

jmkeuning

Stick a fork in me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 19:54

QUOTE(rroossinck @ Oct 24 2007, 09:24 AM) View Post
Nice! Do they make one for us big manly men?smile.gif

I think they do, but it's not the charmer.

It's the harmer.
Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

#5 Nikolaos

Nikolaos

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:07

Nice review Laura! The Sailor "Charmer" is for sure a charming pen! I really like the Elite you have there...nice happyberet.gif
Nikolaos

Sponsored Content

|