Pen & Ink sketch pen

burmeseboyz

Has anyone else tried the Pen & Ink sketch pen. I just found one in the university bookstore today and it's pretty good. $16 for a smooth nib with converter. The pen is mediocre, but it's a good deal. I've also noticed that they have moleskine like notebooks under the same brand. What's the history behind this company? Does anyone else know?

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paulyf

• burmeseboyz

• nimrod

• OPG4711

• 2 years later...

I was actually going to do a review of them because they're actually a pretty good value - especially if you're just starting out or want to try some pens that you won't worry about losing. A perfect example would be using Noodler's Bay State Blue in them. You don't really have to care if it stains the converter.

I use them so I have several colors inked at any given time. Eventually I'll have a few Pelikans and a MB or 2. But they're not bad for what you get.

- OPG4711

I have one. I tried the Ink & Sketch Ink in it as well. I am now using Noodlers Black in it (big difference) I like it and I dont like it.

For writing I don't like it. its dry even with the noodlers. But it is a fine writer 0.3 mm based on the Richard bender line width pdf.

But I use a Moleskin pocket notebook to take short notes and such. I like it in the moleskin. But again Im only taking notes.

This pen will give different line widths by changing the pen pressure which indicates it is designed for art first.

I do some light sketching. I am following the DVD series How to draw the human from memory. The title is "The structure of Man" by Riven Pheonix.

He uses a ball point pen and I could not figure which one it was. He is able to draw the finest lightest lines and then switch to a thick broad line in the same stroke.

The Ink and Sketch pen can perform in the same manner. So for drawing I say it is a winner.

In mew to the forum and find that my Fountain pen lust is building steam. I think I may post a review as I get more time under my belt.

P.F.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the instructions and inserted a supplied ink cart into the pen. 1 minute later, the entire cartridge had flowed into the cap.

Like most things made in China, you're playing roulette as far as quality goes. If you get one that doesn't pee ink all over the place, then maybe the nib is worth getting.

I followed the instructions and inserted a supplied ink cart into the pen. 1 minute later, the entire cartridge had flowed into the cap.

Like most things made in China, you're playing roulette as far as quality goes. If you get one that doesn't pee ink all over the place, then maybe the nib is worth getting.

That sounds as though your cartridge had a crack in it.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

• 1 year later...

Very, very late to the thread. Just purchased a Pen & Ink Sketch fountain pen, fine nib from Amazon. I was surprised how well it wrote for such an inexpensive pen. I'm using a cartridge that came with the pen. What I find interesting is that the nib is a little flexible. Without much pressure, the width of the line broadens. I've recently become interested in Flex nibs. I have a Noodler's Flex Nib on order and will be interested to see if it is more flexible than this pen.

• 2 years later...

:ltcapd:

• 6 years later...

I was going over my old pens today and pulled out my "pen & ink sketch" with a fine nib. The cap has become sticky with age (~5 -8 years). Has anyone else had this happen. I don't think anything is on it. It doesn't come off with water or Windex. Has this happened to anyone else?

This is one of my favorite pens. I do some of my best drawings with it. On the other hand, I don't like it much for writing.

The nib is mildly flexible. line variation is definitely possible.

The pens usually require some work. Tines too tight or wide. Some of these have needed constant priming which I suspect is from a faulty converter. They usually write dry though, when properly adjusted and I limit myself to Aurora Black or a similar fast flowing ink.

All in all, I really like these for the price and performance.

Don't have one of the pens, but I bought a bottle of their Non Shellac Fountain Pen Ink a few years ago in the University of Pittsburgh bookstore. I was running it in a Rotring Artpen with an EF nib, and using it for drawing. Not the perfect black, but it worked well enough in that pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."