Aurora Blue

Blade Runner

I recommend it.

You should know the blue has some violet (others call it purple) resembling the color of Pelikan royal blue, but I find it better flowing that Pel royal blue

It is nicely saturated similar to waterman Florida blue in this regard, but flows better than florida blue imo. I'd say waterman blue black and quink washable blue flow at least as well as the aurora blue, but aurora blue is more saturated than quink.

In summary, a nice saturated blue with a violet/purple element that is very good flowing.

Downside: $10.50 for 45 ml at local paradise pen store (waterman's is $8.00 for 50ml).

Jeen

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• Betty

• wimg

• southpaw

I'm writing with Aurora Blue today!

Very nice ink - one of my favourites. Nicely saturated and excellent lubrication (if that is the right word).

The purple hint adds a Regal feel I think.

David Hughes

I also like Aurora when I'm in the mood for a purply blue. HOWEVER, I think PR's Black Magic Blue is an even better balance.

So, when I want a true blue: Omas Roma 2000

A blue with a little hint of turquoise: Penman Sapphire

A "regal" blue with a hint of violet: Black Magic Blue

I've really gone through all the blues. Until BMB came along, Aurora was the purple contender. Now it doesn't make the cut.

Now I'm looking for a good turquoise (that doesn't look like a variation on a theme). Searching for Caran d'Ache and Jansen...

Edited by eric.zamir

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...

Hi Eric,

If you're looking for a good turquoise, other than Noodler's versiosn of this colour, you may want to try Waterman South Seas Blue, which has nice shading characteristics, and Visconti turquoise (don't know what it is called, though, no description on the box). The latter is extremely bright, and stands out. It almost hurts the eyes... :D

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Thanks, Wim:

I actually have a giant bottle of Visconti Ultramarine (Turquoise) sitting in front of me as I write. I find it to be identical to Waterman South Seas. It even smells the same! It probably is Waterman South Seas. I don't think Visconti actually make their own ink.

It's true that those two are among the darker and more intense turquoises I have seen (haven't seen the Noodler version).

I guess I was looking for a new twist in Turquoise. Michael Richter suggested Caran d'Ache Turquoise, which looks to me like a relative of PR Blue Suede.

I have a feeling I'm going to use the Visconti up (no one wanted to buy it on any of the forums), as well as Blue Suede. I might experiment with some mixing...

While I have your attention, have you ever tried Visconti Lapis Blue? I don't feel like plunking down 12 euro to find out what it looks like.

Ciao, Wim!

PS: Are you near Dordrecht/Pen Hotel? I plan to come up and visit one of these days...

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...

Hi Eric,

We're hijacking this thread a little now :D. Hope Jeen doesn't mind too much...

Regarding Visconti Ultramarine: I have the small bottle, and it looks even brighter to me than WM SSB, although that may be imagination. I'll check it out one of these weeks, as in, actually write with it :lol:.

Regarding your visit to the Penhotel, Drdrecht:

Looking from Ravenna, Italy, I am very close to Dordrecht. Looking from Maastricht, where I live, however, it is a very long way to go, about 2 1/2 hours drive, provided there is no traffic jam.

Of course, there is a very nice pen shop in Maastricht as well, be it a little expensive.

I've never been to Penhotel, so I can't really comment on them. If you are going to Dordrecht, it is probably worthwhile visiting PW Akkerman in The Hague as well, about 45 minutes from Dordrecht I would think. Still need to visit the place, too.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Personally, I like Lamy Turquoise. It has great shading. It's the bottom one on the attached scan.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Personally, I like Lamy Turquoise.  It has great shading.  It's the bottom one on the attached scan.

Just curious, cause the image shows the shading pretty well, is that a photograph or a scan?

Could you immerse half of that paper in water overnight and let's see how they do? The Noodler's Aquamarine and Gulfstream should handle it, nicely. The others, I don't know.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Roger

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Don't overlook Noodlers Navajo Turquoise or Turquoise. The Navajo Turquoise has the hue of the light bluish turquoise found in Navajo jewelry; the Turquoise hs the greenish cast of other types of turquoise.

George

Pelikan Convert and User

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add a sample of Aurora blue and some other favorites for comparison.

I apologize for the poor photos. I've only my desk lamp.

1. Aurora blue - has a touch of violoet

2. Florida blue

3. Quink washable blue - lightest and least saturated

4. Mont Blanc blue - doesn't it look blue black to you?

5. Waterman blue black

6. Aurora black

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_3040.jpg

The lines were written with different pens and nib sizes so the conditions aren't exactly controlled, but hopefully you can get some idea of their differences.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_3039.jpg

Slightly highter magnification

Regards,

Jeen

Thanks for the scans!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Jeen, your scans show something very interesting. Your inks show different degrees of what I guess we call feathering. With Aurora black for instance, letter edges are very sharply defined, but not so with the Florida and Aurora blues. Of course, it could be, and it probably is, just the pens? I suspect the wetter the pen, the higher the likelihood of feathering on whatever paper you are using.

ooohhh...Florida Blue looks very pretty. What brand is that?

If I have Private Reserve's 2005 DC Supershow, do I need Florida Blue?

And have you tried PR's Tarzanite? That's a very pretty carbon-copy purple color. I love blues with a purple tinge to it.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

If I already have PR Tarzanite, do I need Aurora Blue? I'm still trying to look for a pretty blue. I have 2004 DC Supershow and I don't really like the color. The color didn't come out as vibrant and blue as the review here :( It looks a bit dull.

And is Florida Blue also similar to DC Supershow? I am considering purchasing both the Aurora Blue and FLorida Blue.

Edited by moppie2005

If I already have PR Tarzanite, do I need Aurora Blue? I'm still trying to look for a pretty blue. I have 2004 DC Supershow and I don't really like the color. The color didn't come out as vibrant and blue as the review here :( It looks a bit dull.

And is Florida Blue also similar to DC Supershow? I am considering purchasing both the Aurora Blue and FLorida Blue.

dunno about florida blue.

okay folks - really, is Tanzanite blue? I guess if you write a line with it right up against a true purple it will look blue-er.

Aurora is not as purple as tanzanite. But if you're happy with only one purplish blue (if that's how you view Tanzanite) then i'd say skip on the Aurora. Tho IMneverHO, Tanzanite is a blueish purple. :)

Gosh, i'd never have thought of DC blue as flat. But the again, i don't think Tanzanite is blue. :blink: :blink:

I vaguely recall Florida Blue as being just your basic blue. Darker than DC Blue. but I won't swear to it.

though I often swear.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Hi,

I wouldn't call Florida a vibrant blue, so i don't think it's what you are after.

Regards,

Jeen

I consider Tarzanite a purple, a very pretty carbon copies purple. I LOVE it! Today, I went out and purchased the Aurora Blue and Omas Green. I love green, and this green looked like the kind of green I liked. Not sure how it is on paper, but will review it.