Cross Takes Chances

Blade Runner

I posted this comment on Pentrace, so please excuse the repetition. But with the debut of the Cross Apogee I wanted to commend Cross on both their general high quality and because they are willing to try different designs. Look at their higher end pens - Century II, Townsend, Verve, and now Apogee not to mention their less expensive models - all quite different. I really like their willingness to come up with something new periodically unlike some manufacturers who produce essentially the same pen (albeit good pen) year after year with different colors.

Personally I would not buy another pen if the only difference was color, but then I'm not a collector.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• contravox

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I think they're heading in the right and exciting direction.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, but I only have one general complaint. I think it is a bit disappointing that Cross seems to only put out pens done in all metal. Rotring (with the exception of the oddball Core) did the same thing, and I am actually getting tired of all-metal construction. I would like to see Cross dabble in plastics more and come up with a colorful, yet durable pen. The Parker 51 was probably the best-selling fountain pen of all time, due somewhat in part to it being light-weight and easy to carry around in the shirt pocket (but back then, all pens were lighter and easier to carry). I think a lot of fountain pen consumers suffer from the "if it's plastic, it won't hold up as well" syndrome.

I dunno, just something to throw out there.

-Robert

"I have very simple tastes, I am always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde

Hi Robert,

Good point you make. I prefer heavier pens, so I guess I hadn't thought about it.

BTW in reference to my concern about metal trim at the section corroding over time, the Cross rep told me they use stainless steel, so corrosion should not be a prob.

Off topic - have you ever visited Georgia Tech's Museum of Papermaking?

Regards,

Jeen

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files