Brick and Mortar vs Online

Blade Runner

B&M's are more expensive, but in many of them you can dip test pens. After some less than stellar on line purchases that I've had to return or send for adjustment, I'm beginning to look more fondly at B&M's. What's your opinion?

Regards,

Jeen

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stylo

• Blade Runner

• mr_inky

• tntaylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Done both.

Bought a VP & "F" nib unit from Pen Wright in Dallas. Great service, esp. when the nib unit didn't work. Buy my ink there too.

Pelikan 650 from Levengers. No problem w/ the pen or order. Did send it to Chartpack for a nib exchange to "F". Usual great service.

Optimists are always disapointed when things don't work out. Pesimists never are since they expected it. That's why pesimists are happier.

Can't beat online for accessibility (for those of us living just west of the middle of nowhere) and variety, but you do take your chances on quality and reliability.

Still, if there were a pen shop anywhere near where I live, it'd be my second home. Nothing compares to opening the door of a shop and maybe hearing a bell tinkle, announcing your arrival; physically rummaging and browsing; looking your salesperson in the eye as he/she tells you about an item; holding something in your hand and leaving the store with that very item; no shipping, no handling, no waiting for the mail - the sort of impulse buying that can yield immediate satisfaction.

Ahhhhh...

t!

Edited by tntaylor

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

B&M's are more expensive, but in many of them you can dip test pens. After some less than stellar on line purchases that I've had to return or send for adjustment, I'm beginning to look more fondly at B&M's. What's your opinion?

Dip testing will only let you know whether you like the feel of the pen. You are not testing the feed mechanism at all when you merely dip test. So you may still end up with problems. While a B&M return is in principle simpler, what really matters is the service level provided, whether it is an online shop or a B&M. B&M's can also easily give you a very hard time during a return.

But the B&M you will have access to in the Bay area are probably 20-40% more expensive than the reputable online sellers. That can quickly add up to a lot of money over many pen purchases.

The best thing to do is to attend a pen show. You can test many pens there, and even buy a few since some vendos sell them with deep discounts at pen shows. You can also make a list and then purchase them over the next year from online vendors. Good online vendors will make a serious effort to help you with problems. Remember also that a number of online vendors are actually also B&M places. Oscar Braun Pens comes to mind.

Guest Denis Richard
But the B&M you will have access to in the Bay area are probably 20-40% more expensive than the reputable online sellers. That can quickly add up to a lot of money over many pen purchases.

That's true, but Jeen is in Pennsylvania :D

I agree that it's hard to beat some of the on-line retailers, and Pam Braun is on the very top of the list pricewise. I have a sweet spot for Swisher too. Nothing against all the others, but these two are the ones I have happily done business with and I guess I just stick with them and don't even look anywhere else.

I also have been rather unlucky with the B&M stores around here. <_<

I guess it depends on the B&M store. Some (like Artlite in Atlanta) have prices that are comparable to online stores. The advantage is that you can examine the pen before deciding whether it's the right pen for you or not.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Hey Apollo,

Have you been to the Papermaking museum (Georgia tech) in Atlanta?

My interest in paper rivals my interest in pens.

Hi Jeen,

I do both. When I know what I want, it is easy, I order via the Internet (so far, 3 suppliers, Pam Braun, Swisher Pens, and Giardino Italiano, all highly recommended). This is also true when it concerns something I can´t get any other way. I always ask the vendor to try out the pen for me, to make sure it works properly. That´s no problem with any of the people mentioned.

I am lucky in so far that one of the 2 best Dutch pen stores is right in the centre of town where I live :D, so they know me by name :lol:. I just love going there every so often, check out what is new, and occasionally buy something. In the town where I work currently, there is an office supplies store with a reasonable collection of low to high end fountain pens, including Stipula :D. And whenever I travel, if I do have a little time to spare, I make sure that I know where the nearest fountain pen store is... :lol:

I agree with T on the experience: there is nothing that beats going into a shop, and get the feel of a pen, prior to purchasing it.

Of course, over here, they often do not only let you dip test a pen, but actually fill the pen properly. And that is also true for the pen you take out of the shop, unless you specifically ask otherwise. Warranty is great here too. You normally have two weeks to rethink, and bring the pen back, for a full refund, even if the pen is perfect.

When I got my Edson Saphire as a present, I was told to go and visit the shop, and exchange the nib if I wanted too. I actually tested > 40 nibs over a period of a few months, in the shop, and took several home, on the advice of the shopkeepers, before choosing the one I am still using.

Yes, B&M is a different experience, even though it is more expensive. :D

Warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

At the bricks and mortar store, I can see pens which are completely new to me. I can use magnification to inspect nibs before I buy. The nibs are usually medium, but I prefer fine and extra fine nibs. I can assess the size, colour and shape of the pens. Many of the pens which I have seen online, are not in the store.

On line, they sell fine and extra fine nibs, but I cannot inspect them. There is a much wider choice of pens, nibs, and inks. Buying is easy, in all weathers, using a credit card and a computer. It is difficult to know what size the pens are. They are usually photographed alone, and their dimensions are rarely recorded. Sometimes, a carrier creates a fictitious delivery, and a fictitious signature.

At the bricks and mortar store, I can see pens which are completely new to me. I can use magnification to inspect nibs before I buy. The nibs are usually medium, but I prefer fine and extra fine nibs. I can assess the size, colour and shape of the pens. Many of the pens which I have seen online, are not in the store.

On line, they sell fine and extra fine nibs, but I cannot inspect them. There is a much wider choice of pens, nibs, and inks. Buying is easy, in all weathers, using a credit card and a computer. It is difficult to know what size the pens are. They are usually photographed alone, and their dimensions are rarely recorded. Sometimes, a carrier creates a fictitious delivery, and a fictitious signature.

You have a good point in that most B&M stores do not carry the total line of any manufacturer so that you are limited in the pens that you can buy- unless they order them for you and agree to not make you pay for them if you don't like it, this would be the one case where a B&M would be better than the net. And with the usually limited amount of nibs on hand getting exactly what you want might even include a trip back to the manufacturer for a nib exchange something B&M stores may or may not do for you.

I don't live near any real B&M stores so I have learned to ask certain very specific questions of any seller before I purchase a pen. Add to that the large amount of research on-line I do about a pen ( and don't forget the second-hand pen market on line where I buy most of my pens!) And if I do get it and don't like it most times there is a reasonable return policy leaving me out the shipping costs. In the several years that I have been buying pens through the internet I have returned 5 pens. and some of them were for defects that even a detailed look with a loupe in a store would not have seen.

Kurt H