A Tale of Two Pels

Guest Denis Richard

I just got mine today (M400 honey), and all I can say is: HOLY COW, I love this pen!!!

It's beautiful, the medium nib puts down a smooth, wet line, and has a nice hint of flex, and did I mention it's beautiful?

I've been lusting after this pen for a while. Now I can't put it down.

I am ridiculously pleased. biggrin.gif

Edited by wackyjacky1

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sonnet

• Stylo

• Roger

• amin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Denis,

Wow....What a review....!!!

To start with, I was startled by the quality and composiotion of the piuctures.

Being a newcomer to the FPN, I didn,t have the benefit of your review when I bought my M400 White Tortoise, few weeks ago. I tell you, when I received my pen I was impressed but perhaps as I still have in my memory a green & black Pel I owned some 30+ years ago, I could not appreciate the esthetics and beuty of the White Tortoise.

Reading your review was as discovering how lucky I am to be the owner of such beutiful masterpiece.

I will pursue my M600 green and black while counting my blessing for having the M400 white tortroise as well as a couple of 120's.

Keep regalling us,penlovers, your elegant reviews accompanied of those outstanding pictures

pensiful

Oh dear. I thought that I'd overcome the desperate desire to own a white M400, but the revival of this thread (with its gorgeous pictures) has catapulted me right back to square one. Now, where's that credit card...

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

It is so nice to see my beloved tortoise/white 400 here. I fell in love with the look of it, and have found over the months that it is among my best writers. When I try to compare my three favorites, the 400 and reconditioned Vac and "51," I think each one is better than the last. Then I pick up the first one and start over. I can't decide, but the Pelikan 400 is definitely in that class. And my favorite pen, because my honey got it for me for Valentines.

Thanks for the great review and thread.

Steve

• 4 months later...

I've had my Pelikan M400 Tortoise for just over a year. I use it regularly in my rotation of fountain pens, always filling it with Pelikan Blue Black. No complaints and lots of praise from those that tend to pay attention to these sorts of things.

But... does anyone else have a problem with the white section beginning to discolor? The section is getting a distinct "blue" hue, despite careful wiping after each fill. I've also managed to get ink into the screw part of the section on numerous occassions -- its annoying to have to soak it to get the ink out. Any ideas or hints on filling methods so that I can avoid these troubles?

• 3 months later...

I just got one of the White Tortoise pens for Christmas. It was a total surprise from a guy I started dating. He felt it was very Beverly Hills 1960s and unlike all my black and silver pens. I've wanted an M400 for a while and even though I don't go for flashy pens, this one is a beauty. And the nib makes me drool. It joins my LAMY 2000, my VP, my Waterman Kulture and Pilot Knight as one of my favorite writers.