what is MB's "precious resin"?

leonardo

That said, lots of thing get called "Plexiglass", just because it's a name people have heard.

Is it definitely a thermoplastic? Does it react to solvents at all?

A few posts back someone referred to melting part of one with acetone, so from that I gather "yes." I haven't actually verified this, not owning any Montblanc pens, much less any I want to experiment on.

If someone wants to donate a pen, I'll provide the acetone or other solvents, time, pictures, and report... :-)

A handwritten blog (mostly)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InkWell

• mr T.

• jar

• torstar

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok folks, this is a serious question. Why should I buy a MB pen? Do you have a favorite pen that is not a MB? I am a newbie here, as you probably can tell. :)

Ok folks, this is a serious question. Why should I buy a MB pen? Do you have a favorite pen that is not a MB? I am a newbie here, as you probably can tell. :)

Other than MB pens I also like S.T Dupont, it has almost glass smooth nib. Japanese pens are also nice the Sailor 1911 full size is my favorite.

For Italian pens OMAS is nice but I only have the older model not the newest ones.

good luck on your searching

Andy

Why should I buy a MB pen?

Because you like it and you are willing to pay money for it.

They don't make bad writing instruments, really. But I - personally - don't like plastic pens. They just feel wrong in my hand. The only plastics I have owned for a longer time are a Pelikan and a Pilot Petit. Otherwise I'm in for metal or wood. There are plenty out there.

Greetings,

Michael

Welcome home. :W2FPN: Pull up a stump and set a spell.

You should buy a Montblanc pen if that is what you happen to like.

I have many, many pens that I like as well as I like my Montblancs, some I like even more than any of my Montblancs.

Montblanc should definitely be considered among the Top Tier manufacturers today along with Yard-o-Led, Aurora, Montegrappa, ST Dupont, Ferrari da Varese, Cartier, Dunhill, Nakaya, and several others.

The best idea is to fondle as many different pens as you can and find what YOU like best.

An old, resurrected thread and a good question.

My answer is that because it remains, price withstanding, one of the best fountain pens you can purchase on the market. A benchmark with a long legacy. The ergonomics and design of the MB 146 and 149 are superb and timeless. The nibs, hand adjusted and ground ... write flawlessly (there are a few lemons, but these are few) - the EF with a lovely controlled flow and feedback with a little line variation and the bold a nice, stubbish characteristic. The MB 149 oversized nib and pen, once you are accustomed to a larger girth fits naturally and effortlessly into daily writing.

A MB Meisterstuck isn't without it's faults - occasionally stiff pistons, brittle (compared to other) pens, a little prone to cracking, especially with accidental abuse and doesn't post well.

My Danitrio Densho, ST Dupont and Sailor naginata-togi nibs are all superb and I rate them just as highly.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Are the recent models (precious resin) more brittle than the vintage models (non precious resin)???

A Thing of Beauty is Joy Forever...."Ode on a Grecian Urn" by John Keats

Are the recent models (precious resin) more brittle than the vintage models (non precious resin)???

Older models were made from celluloid and hard rubber and will likely be more brittle today than the modern pens simply through aging.

Older models were made from celluloid and hard rubber and will likely be more brittle today than the modern pens simply through aging.

but they are, of course, far more tactile materials than the modern injection moulded PMMA pens.

politician and idiot are synonymous terms - Mark Twain

One of my favorite pens is a Montblanc -- well, more than one, but the one in rotation is a 100-Year Historical.

My other favorite pens include Nakaya (urushi over hardrubber, handcrafted in Japan) and vintage Sheaffer (also my modern Sheaffer Connaisseur). One of my favorite EF nibs is on a Sailor 1911.

Many, many pens to entice a newbie!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Why buy a MB?

Because they are the best.

Next question.

There is no need to refer to "plastic" in a derogatory way. There are over 30 different classes, which include the acrylics, PMMA/Perspex, which is the group I think MB resin probably belongs to. The properties of these resins make them suitable for items as trusted as airplane windows and surgically implanted intra-ocular lenses, so MB pens are in good company.

So, some respect is in order :thumbup:

Montblanc is not being transparent about the material they are using in their pens. It means that they are trying to hide something from the public. Hiding things from the public may not be a bad thing because they might be using a secret process which other manufactures might imitate or that they are using something very common and added the word "precious" so it could seem special.

Either way they are trying to hide something from someone.

Edited by Oranges and Apples

Learning a new addictive hobby - cheaper than fly fishing or cycling!

thanx,

leo

DOUBT IT. lticaptd.gif

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Why buy an MB?

I don't know.

I got this 'ugly' standard sized 1 1/2 tier MB 234 1/2 Deluxe (52-55 only) KOB. I didn't want it. It was part of a four pen live auction lot.

I found out what it was, I knew of course it was an MB but not what or when until taught by the fine folks here. Gradually the back balance, the girth and the fantastic vintage semi-flex KOB nib made this my number one pen.

Slowly I got to really like the pre-war 139 model based pen that was made for folks who did not like the 'modern' look of the 146-9. Now I like it's shape much more than a 146-9.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/SAM_0410.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/234-5.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/234-1.jpg

A regular 234 1/2 or second tier pen.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/ByMf2hQmkKGrHqFhUEw5Drw8KBMQD5tSFg_12.jpg

There was a sale at my B&M and the wife says do you want an MB?

OK, I let her twist my arm.....took her for ever to get out the house, I was standing there at the door waiting for ever.

As I walked over to look at the MB's this pen took my attention.

Now that I look at it, some of those writer LE's have 1930's 139 design influence...I can see my love for the form of the .....it's a large pen. Well it's nib is not as good as the MB 234 1/2 Deluxe KOB. It's not as good as the Geha 725 my number three pen and number one non-oblique nib.

It is though my #12 nib a nice springy nib, my better assortment of semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' beats it hollow.

Virginia Wolf. on sale for €450 this years worth of pens....won't be able to buy a pen again until next Easter.

Pictures with permission of pentime.com. He takes a better picture than me.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_0619-1.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_0625-1.jpg

Got a pretty nib too. Close up bling, not across the room bling.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/IMG_0641-1.jpg

This one I bought because it was pretty and the nib was pretty and adequate. It could not bust into my top ten.

Most modern nibs lack what I want in a nib as is. I did try the Aurora Verdi that was semi-flex....a very beautiful pen, but I had lots of nibs that good....it was a real dither.

Nope, the 146-149 still don't interest me much....could be I have too many black pens. :headsmack:

A couple of the MB Writer's editions are what I want, others no way.

I like some of those Conway Stuarts, Duponts and so on.... My wallet thinks Scrooge was a spendthrift.

My first MB was vintage with a great nib and I was very lucky. My second MB was vintage and I was not happy, it is a nail, a MB 320. My third MB is a beautiful pen and has an adequate springy nib.

I could afford to buy a lesser nib with a pretty pen.

Almost all modern nibs are lesser than the pre'66 nibs, so that will be my problem with all modern pens.

Why buy an MB? For me it was because I like it.

There are a lot of pretty pens made by top tier pen companies.

Take your time, and have fun dithering.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Montblanc is not being transparent about the material they are using in their pens. It means that they are trying to hide something from the public. Hiding things from the public may not be a bad thing because they might be using a secret process which other manufactures might imitate or that they are using something very common and added the word "precious" so it could seem special.

Either way they are trying to hide something from someone.

Having been educated in Marketing, with all due respect, I seriously doubt this line of reasoning.

Actually, from a marketing stand point the ease of breaking in a $500 to $1,000 pen makes a lot of sense.

YMMV

there were different resins used, they changed the mixture of the resin in the 1985-1986 to make it more shiny but on the other hand, it is more brittle. I had a 1986 mb 149 for a short period that I exchanged for 1972 one more to my tastes. I fell on a wooden floor and didn't even break, so the new resin isn't taht bad as some people might think. Sure if you will smash it on the ground, you will break it but this is not the goal of a fountain pen. No pen is unbreakable. Treat your pens like your watches with love and respect and they will last you generations.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time