Nakaya Urushi - Cigar Piccolo (Custom)

Phthalo

It may sound goofy, but I get a feeling of serenity (with Japanese shamisen playing softly in my mind) just looking at the images of your pen. -_-

In the spirit of Mark Twain, Thomas Beecham and Tom Waites:

紳士は三味線が弾けるのに弾かない人です。

Serenity, hm?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3455/3269079606_209225a0b2_m.jpg

Edited by troglokev

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phthalo

• sam

• rubyeyespenlover

• Leigh R

This is one of the best reviews I ever read!

This is one of the best pen I ever seen.

You are a great person.

Thank you for sharing!

post-24335-1241092646.jpg

69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted

http://www.pennamagazine.com

I feel so good when I read your reviews!

Could I be your friend?

This review is absolutely smart and fool of love!

I'd like to thank you for the time you spent for us.

Thank you very much!!!

A.

Edited by MYU
removed entire quoting of posting

69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted

Thank you for all the kind words, I'm very glad my reviews are so well received! :)

I think we are always stressed by bad writers who only want to bla bla bla and do it only to show their Ego without loving what they write and photograph.

I hope you could be a model for all people and also for me why not?

There is not only a way to write, reviews take photos and so on but for me you choosed the best and clearer.

Thank you again.

Edited by rubyeyespenlover

There is no question that two or three reviewers on this forum write absolutely incredible reviews. For this reason alone I'm estatic that some of these reveiws are held out as examples of all that a pen review can be. But, I'm also reminded of a college professor who gave a lecture in class one day asking how many people had actually gone back and read their notes in the study and review process. As a grad. assistant I was amazed at how many students never really studied their classroom notes. So, maybe we should remind everyone to read and study the best to see how it is done. Then more and more of us can write better reviews. I know I have said this before on this forum, but I think it is worth repeating. Almost everything I have learned about fountain pens and fp collecting has come from this forum. I'm still learning and hopefully I will feel confident enough in the near future to write some about my collection. Maybe that way I will learn to have as much fun sharing some information as putting together an extensive collection of fps that inspire me to open up a journal book almost every day and maybe even leave a little money in the bank.

AMP

Thank you! I am an extremely detail-oriented person, and it's so nice to see that appreciated!

Some people on this forum do indeed have the power to put a lot of incredibly useful information out there for the rest of us. We should all aspire to raise the bar and ensure our reviews are as good as we can make them. :)

A database (which is essentially what our forum is), is only as good as the data within it.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Thank you for all your compliments! I really am enjoying this gorgeous pen! :cloud9:

In regard to the colour changing, this will happen quicker than compared to the Kuro-Tamenuri finish. The Kuro-Tamenuri finish has natural black Urushi laid over a red base, while the Heki-Tame finish has natural brown Urushi lacquer laid over the base colour - this brown Urushi will clear much faster than the black. Nakaya have indicated a few months or so for this.

Gary: The red-brown colour is mostly correct, though overly warm. See the first image for the most accurate color. The color actually went in a direction that is nothing like the mock-up I sent you...

Jim: Thank you very, very much! Yoko did actually explain [gekkai] [jyu] for pronunciation, but I had no idea that there was such lovely context behind the word Laurel. :D

Dean: I have an extremely light hand when writing, so YMMV... The legibility of my normal writing with the Super Extra Fine is not affected at all, and even when I speed up and naturally apply a little more pressure, then I only see the most subtle thickening in my down strokes. When I do want some intentional variation (in my initial for example), then I can create a line around 5x the thickness of the normal SEF line by exercising some pressure. I will try to make a writing sample... :)

Laura,

I've just ordered a Nakaya heki-tamenuri Ascending Dragon which could come in at Classic Fountain Pens anytime. I prefer an extremely fine line and currently own a heki Piccolo with a fine nib altered by John Mottishaw in the assumption that I like a fine medium-minus ink flow. I've since bougtht a Sailor brown mosaic from them with a stock EF nib, but I'm not liking the variation in ink flow I seem to be getting with it - unlike any of my previous Sailor 21K EF pens....

Two questions:

Have you tried the Sailor EEF (or whatever its name is)? Isn't that the one that comes with a tool to get paper, etc., out from between the tines? I'm interested because I think I'm going ever more fine with my desired line.

However, my plan was to request a stock EF for my Dragon....now I'm wondering if I should ask them to put the nib you've got on your new pen on mine - seriously!!! I had been told that the SEF by Nakaya was scratchy.....but it doesn't sound like that when you talk about it. And maybe they were talking about the Sailor.

I love dealing with John and all the others at Classic Fountain Pens, but I'm not sure they're well tuned in to extra-fine writing, which would not be surprising, there aren't all that many of us out there.

I think now that I'm retired, I'm writing much slower and I really enjoy a sharp, elegant fine line. It's fun to actually experience making the letters and words.

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Fantastic Review, I particularly like the color and hue and the finishing is superb, thank you again and congrats on a fine choice :thumbup:

S

• 1 month later...

Do you use the Piccolo posted? Does the barrel and cap's "urushi" finish get scratched if you post it? I am interested in scratch resistance of the urushi finish compared to, say, MB's black resin.

How do you maintain the pen? I assume the urushi finish require some special care.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

No, I never post the cap of any of my urushi pens.

The pens are made larger and longer so you don't need to post the cap, but if you must, you should wait a few months after you receive the pen for the urushi to completely cure. In your lifetime, you would never damage the pen by posting the cap, but over time, you would may end up with a faint ring where the gloss of the lacquer has dulled from the cap. I sometimes see this with my vintage urushi pens.

Urushi pens don't require special care, just common sense and respectful handling. Don't put one in your pocket with your keys - but you shouldn't do that with a celluloid or sterling silver pen either. If you need to wash the pen, you can wash it in water like anything else. Urushi is extremely durable, it's not fragile - there is a reason it is used to coat everyday utensils, serving dishes etc.

If you drop the pen and crack/chip/bruise the finish, that's the only time you have a problem, because you have then broken the protective seal (so to speak).

Otherwise, don't even give it a second thought. I handle my OMAS celluloid pens with more care than my Nakaya lacquered pens... the Nakaya pens go to work with me, the celluloid pens never do.

Laura / Phthalo

No, I never post the cap of any of my urushi pens.

The pens are made larger and longer so you don't need to post the cap, but if you must, you should wait a few months after you receive the pen for the urushi to completely cure. In your lifetime, you would never damage the pen by posting the cap, but over time, you would may end up with a faint ring where the gloss of the lacquer has dulled from the cap. I sometimes see this with my vintage urushi pens.

http://www.nakaya.org/dimension2.jpg

Do you have smaller hands? The Piccolo line seems to be the shortest in their line up.

Otherwise, don't even give it a second thought. I handle my OMAS celluloid pens with more care than my Nakaya lacquered pens... the Nakaya pens go to work with me, the celluloid pens never do.

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting to know you are more comfortable using your Nakaya pen as a daily writer than OMAS. I thought the celluloid is as sturdy as the regular resin pen.

So, what is underneath the urushi finish? Is the base barrel made of wood or celluloid type of materials?

PS. I just read its base is "ebonite." Does anyone know the key advantages of using ebonite for a pen?

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

No, I just like small pens. It's a personal thing. I never post the cap on anything - the long pens are options for those who like larger pens. Personal choice is a good thing, don't you think? :)

Ebonite (hard rubber) has been used in pen manufacturing for decades. It is strong, economical, lightweight, and easy to work with.

Laura / Phthalo

Although you have the pen for some time now, I must say, beautiful!

But, would be interested how does it write Nakaya Firm Fine nib, so if you have time and good will, post at least a small writing sample.

Thank you and enjoy your nifty Nakayas!

adam11