First Esterbrook and I hate it

tonyespo

I learned a while ago not to print out anything regarding Estie's, I just go to Brian's web site. If a new nib number is found in someone's basement in Nebraska, Brian has a radar system in place to update his website. Quite amazing I might add. If memory serves, the CIA tried to use it to find UFO's but Brian held fast in his belief that Estie's will one day bring the world together. :ltcapd:

Thanks for the laugh, but I have to ask... How did you find out about my radar system? :D

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonyespo

• Brian Anderson

• john.reiss

• J English Smith

Too bad man. I'm really partial to Parkers as well but both of my Esties (Which I just got) are wonderful. They both have 2556 nibs and I really like they way they write. You hardly have to use any pressure and you get a nice line. Although I'm sure some of the others here have already given you loads of advice. They did the same for me and it was very helpful and I recived a lot of help. They are a great group of people.

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

I got my new nib from Brian today. My 9668 is here. I installed it, gave the pen a quick shake downward and presto, it writes smooth and wet. I'll give it a couple of pages of journaling tonight and see how it stands up.

Thanks to Brian for the super fast delivery. I have a few more Esties on the way. :thumbup:

I got my new nib from Brian today. My 9668 is here. I installed it, gave the pen a quick shake downward and presto, it writes smooth and wet. I'll give it a couple of pages of journaling tonight and see how it stands up.

Thanks to Brian for the super fast delivery. I have a few more Esties on the way. :thumbup:

Glad you like it. I was a bit nervous suggesting a 9556 to you since they can be hit or miss as far as wet is concerned, so thus the 9668 recommendation.

Use in good health, and enjoy your first esterbrook!

Best-

Brian

I learned a while ago not to print out anything regarding Estie's, I just go to Brian's web site. If a new nib number is found in someone's basement in Nebraska, Brian has a radar system in place to update his website. Quite amazing I might add. If memory serves, the CIA tried to use it to find UFO's but Brian held fast in his belief that Estie's will one day bring the world together. :ltcapd:

Thanks for the laugh, but I have to ask... How did you find out about my radar system? :D

Brian

Common knowledge among those in the know..... :ltcapd:

John

Tony,

Glad to hear it. Be careful with the Esties though. One day you will wake up surrounded with them.

John

Brian

Brian,

When I lived in Nebraska, I was jamming that radar signal on a regular basis. I never knew where it was coming from but it was there and ominous. I moved West and the signal doesn't make it past the Rockies. I'm going to need to setup a booster station in my brother's basement (Lincoln). That should wipe out the mid-west leaving the easy pickings to the rest of us!

(Ha Ha)

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I wrote a couple of pages tonight in my Journal. I'm using a 6x10 Apica notebook at this time. I like what I see with this pen and nib combination. I am using Noodlers Blue ink. The writing is smooth and wet, but this nib has NO flex that I can tell. That's not a bad thing, but I would like to be able to make a little line variation. At this time I honestly can't say that the Esterbrook will replace any of my Parkers. My 51's and Duofolds write just as well and have more heft to them. I see the Estie as a good daily carry pen for taking notes and signing my name. I don't really see it as a pen to do serious writing. I have a few more Esties on the way and maybe a different Nib combination will change my mind.

What nib should I get that gives the most flex? Can these nibs be custom ground into stubs and Italics?

I want to say again that this Estie forum rocks. Without a doubt the members here are very helpful and friendly. The Parker guys are sort of snobs.

The Parker is a great pen, but I'm a jeans kind of guy. I can sell one of my Parkers and buy a half dozen Esties. That is very appealing to me.

Thanks everyone,

Tony Esposito

Esties will not become my everyday carry either...

But, I love them for desk pens (I have too many desk sets now).

I also have a cool 8xxx series nib that I got from DocNib that will find it's way into daily use for sure.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Can these nibs be custom ground into stubs and Italics?

Richard Binder and John Mottishaw provide nib grinding services, but you'll need to contact them to find out what can be done with the nibs you currently have. Richard Binder's website is:

http://www.richardspens.com/

John Mottishaw's website is:

http://www.nibs.com/

Regards,

Ray

I wrote a couple of pages tonight in my Journal. I'm using a 6x10 Apica notebook at this time. I like what I see with this pen and nib combination. I am using Noodlers Blue ink. The writing is smooth and wet, but this nib has NO flex that I can tell. That's not a bad thing, but I would like to be able to make a little line variation. At this time I honestly can't say that the Esterbrook will replace any of my Parkers. My 51's and Duofolds write just as well and have more heft to them. I see the Estie as a good daily carry pen for taking notes and signing my name. I don't really see it as a pen to do serious writing. I have a few more Esties on the way and maybe a different Nib combination will change my mind.

What nib should I get that gives the most flex? Can these nibs be custom ground into stubs and Italics?

I want to say again that this Estie forum rocks. Without a doubt the members here are very helpful and friendly. The Parker guys are sort of snobs.

The Parker is a great pen, but I'm a jeans kind of guy. I can sell one of my Parkers and buy a half dozen Esties. That is very appealing to me.

Thanks everyone,

Tony Esposito

Tony,

I'll answer your second question first: yes they can, but most stubs can be purchased as another nib. I bought a stub nib from Brian earlier in the summer ( a 2442 I think). They have a bunch of stubs and a few italics. If Brian can't get them (he does have the radar) I'm sure a quick trip to eBay will uncover them for you. Insofar as which nibs have the most flex, I defer to those with more knowledge on that subject than I.

Normally I carry around a gray Estie J loaded with PR Sonic Blue all the time. Great knock-around pen because I know I can find another to replace it on the cheap. I can't say that for some of the other pens that I have in my minuscule collection.

Cheers,

John

P.S. If you aren't going to the Ohio Pen Show, I will be there and could pick up some nibs for you if you wish. Just PM me the ones you want and the prices you are willing to spend.

Your best bet to Estie flex is a 9128, IMO. They aren't easy to come by and you might have to buy a whole pen to get the nib. I had a small group of them several months back and they were gone within 48 hours. They aren't anything close to a Waterman flex, however, and only in the hands of a master will they come to life. Somewhere I think Antonios has an image of what can be done with a 9128. I would say they have a bit of 'give' as opposed to flex, but that's just my opinion.

I suppose one could regrind an estie nib, but then you're talking to a purist here. How much is that going to cost you (time and money)? You could spend that kind of time and money looking for a real Estie stub (2284 are among the best) or an italic (2312, 9312) and have the real thing for less money. If you're going to regrind anything it needs to be a 9xxx series as they are the only ones with any tipping material.

Best-

Brian

I'm a Parker guy too, but I am really enjoying rediscovering the Estie form factor. Very comfortable to write with and hold for long periods of time. As long as you are writing on good paper, the 9xxx nibs seem to work great...

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

As a decidedly non-purist and emphatically a user, I'd like to take this opportunity to decry the shortage of italic nibs for Esterbrooks.

While one can use Osmiroid nibs in them, they don't quite look right, and aren't quite long enough for my preference (though I do have two and use them).

I love my 9312, but it's a bit broader than I want to use on a regular basis, and there's a slight relief grind to the underside (at least on mine) which requires me to roll my pen hold a bit, which I always find requires some re-adjusting when switching to it).

x314 nibs are all relief nibs, so are ground to accommodate a rotated hold as opposed to create line variation.

Other nibs (esp. 2xxx) can be re-ground to italics, but then there's no tipping material, so they won't last as long (but I used a Platignum fine italic steel nib w/ no tipping for almost two decades --- the tip wore away to a 45 degree angle, but there was still plenty of use left in it when I set it aside on my desk as a backup pen), and in some instances the re-grinding makes the nib short enough that I find it too short to use comfortably.

The other option is Pelikan M200 nibs which when ground to an italic will fit inside (most?) Esterbrook caps --- that's something I've had on my list to investigate for a while now.

William