Hello from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

Blade Runner

Hey Jim, I might take you up on your offer, but only if you let me buy you a round (unlike our Morse!). I'd say London is my favorite city. It has everything i love in abundance: landscapes of the Golden age, baroque music, museums and rain.

Hi J. Appleseed, Good to know another (former) Pennsylvanian. Do you say

worter for water? :lol: That accent is pretty strong, but I'm glad for regional variety. Where are you now?

Regards,

Jeen

Edited by jeen

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• JimStrutton

• Maja

• Carrie

No - I don't say "worter" or "wooter" either. My dad was from southern Ohio, my mom from Connecticutt, so I had a few different influences on my accent. I do run my words together a bit though and slur the syllables a bit when I am tired. And I have that east-coast "Yea-uh" thing too.

Now settled in Seattle for 12 years now, after 4 years in Oberlin Ohio and 2 1/2 in San Francisco. Haven't been to Philly in a long time.

J. Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Hey Jim,  I might take you up on your offer, but only if you let me buy you a round  (unlike our Morse!).    I'd say London is my favorite city.  It has everything i love in abundance: landscapes of the Golden age,  baroque music, museums and rain.

The London tour it is then and a few pints of the foaming London Pride from Fullers Brewery would be suitable, Morse would approve!

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Hi Jeen, welcome to the forum. I've got to say a quick hello in any topic where Morse is getting a mention - you've got a fan of both the books and the series here. I do miss indulging in a bit of Colin Dexter spotting. Jim, I know there's been talk about a Lewis spin-off of the series, is it definite that it's going ahead this time?

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for your message.

I've enjoyed a number of Dexter's Inspector Morse novels. I use to buy them at the Mysterious bookshop in Manhattan.

If I ever make it back to the UK, please join Jim and me for a FPN-Morse reunion.

I'm buy'in the first round or three.

Do you have a Conway Stewart? If so, I'd love to hear about. I'm a pretty poor Anglophile not to own one yet, but I'm a little confused which one is right for me from internet pics, and there is no one nearby who stocks them. Which modern models is (are) generally considered the most desirable? I'm comfortable using a Pel 800 size pen, so I guess the Churchill is too big.

Cheers,

Jeen

I'll have to leave it to someone else to comment on the modern Conway Stewarts, all of mine are of a 1950s vintage. I certainly like the CS pens I have. As for the modern, I just have to enjoy reading the reviews that have been posted of them on here, they're a bit too expensive for me....maybe one day in the dim and distant future I'll manage to become the proud owner of one - or at least I can dream that might happen.

Hi Carrie & Jeen,

As far as I am aware, the new series with Lewis is in production. In fact there was a camera crew in Oxford a month or two back which may have been them as they tend to film in the Colleges out of term time.

I will keep you both posted if I hear or see any more, but I won't be in Oxford City for a few months now as my contract work takes me elsewhere, in fact in Crewe Carrie, so your part of the World.

Regards,

Jim

Obi Won WD40

So much to reply to here...

Jeen, you'll find that vintage Conway Stewarts are a little smaller (and a lot cheaper) than the big ones that predominate now. Just a couple of weeks ago, I managed to get a non-working black 85L (one of their largest pens) for just £20. After a 20 minute service it was as good as the day they made it.

Morse is a long time favourite of mine. I took "The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn" on my honeymoon, would you believe? There are some wonderful English novellists writing similar fiction, as I'm sure you know. Any Morse lover should try Ian Rankin, John Harvey and Mark Billingham, for instance.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Hmm, great choice for your honeymoon. I brought a bio of Bruce Chatwin on mine.

Thanks for the author recommendations. I'd probably have to order them from the UK or wait unitl my next visit, but I'll check US Amazon.

Thanks Jim. I'm excited to hear of a spin off from Morse! Will it be called Inspector Lewis?

The actor, K. Wheatley (sp?) is really good. The only other time I''ve seen him over here was in the English Patient.

As for a modern CS, I'll have to listen in on the CS forum some time or find a store that sells them to find the right one. They are awfully expensive though, so I'd probably get a used one.

Regards,

Jeen

Hey Jeen! Let me add my welcome to my favorite home-away-from-home-while-at-home (if that makes any sense)! You and I exchanged a snail or two a while back - probably closer to a year ago! It is nice to see you around here; glad you found us :)

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Hi M,

Thank you for your message!

I'm very glad to have stumbled onto it.

I'll see you around the board, and if you're snailing, you're welcome to send me more!

Regards,

Jeen

Did the actor really die or the character?

Sad to say Jeen that not only did Morse die in the series, but John Thaw died about 18 months ago from Cancer, so there will be no more Morse.

Sadly Leo McKern has also died so no more Rumpole either.

Jeremy Brett has had his own battles with his mental health rather like Holmes in some ways, funny how life imitates art sometimes.

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, Jeremy Brett died too, in 1995, at age 61. His Holmes is without equal. I was just rereading some of the Conan Doyle tales this summer, and the voice of Holmes in my head was, inevitably, Brett's. Wish he were still with us today. :(

Welcome aboard, Jeen. Loved your intro! :)

Viseguy

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, Jeremy Brett died too, in 1995, at age 61. His Holmes is without equal. I was just rereading some of the Conan Doyle tales this summer, and the voice of Holmes in my head was, inevitably, Brett's. Wish he were still with us today. :(

Got a bit confused about Jeremy Brett, as they had repeated the Sherlock Homes series a while back and now you jog my memory I seem to remember that he died too. We will never see their like again I fear.

Jeen,

Re the new series, I believe it is to be called just 'Lewis', but we will have to wait and see and for sure Kevin Wheatley is an actor who can carry off the series. Strange in real life it was Kevin that likes beer whilst John Thaw had no real taste for it.

Regards,

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Hello and (a late) welcome Jeen,

I'm probably wrong, but from the picture, it looks like your beautiful daughter might have some Caucasian blood in her. We have a lil princess too (16 months now) and I can't seem to have enough of her.

An Anglophile, eh? Well, I'm certainly very fond of England too, London especially, having practically grown up there. I call it my second home, even though I don't have an actual home there. :D

See ya around the boards, Jeen.

G.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

Hi G,

Thanks for your message and congratulations on your new daughter.

Daughters are delightful aren't they? I hear they grow up fast.

Sophie is now expertly hollering NO! with an English accent.

Just you wait. :lol:

You're right Sophia's mother is American of European ancenstry.

Where are you now?

Regards,

Jeen

Hi Jeen and welcome to the FPN!

Make sure when your daughter goes to school that she has a few student fountain pens to use. Nothing like getting her started on the right path in life.

I am sure you will love it here! :D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Thanks for the welcome Ron,

I have already found this forum interesting and supportive.

Sophie is already reaching for my pens every chance she gets. :o

It must be genetic. :lol:

Regards,

Jeen