Anybody going to the Ohio Pen Show?

omasfan

Who is going to the Ohio Pen Show in Columbus, OH?

I'll definitely go, probably on Saturday. Anybody interested in the same areas that I am (Italians (esp. Omas), Pelikans, celluloids in general, Dupont, specialty nibs)... Let me know and get in touch.

The Ohio Pen Show has become pretty good with contemporary pens although its main focus is vintage.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• david i

• Elaine

• john.reiss

• RayMan

I've heard such good things about the Ohio Show!! I wish I could be there!!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hopefully it's a good show, it will be my first one. Although I read Richard's article on going to your first pen show, I don't think I will go with any specific pen in mind to purchase. I know I will regret it, but hey, it's only money right?

Cheers,

John

Who is going to the Ohio Pen Show in Columbus, OH?

I'll definitely go, probably on Saturday. Anybody interested in the same areas that I am (Italians (esp. Omas), Pelikans, celluloids in general, Dupont, specialty nibs)... Let me know and get in touch.

The Ohio Pen Show has become pretty good with contemporary pens although its main focus is vintage.

How close is the show to the campus? I have a possibilty of working on a button collection that's being restored.. if I could combine the 2 it would be worth the travel..

p2p

I'm going. My second pen show (got my feet wet at the Michigan Pen Show, and loved every minute).

Regards,

Ray

I'm going to miss it this year. :crybaby: I'm doing too much traveling around that time. Last year was my first for the Ohio show. It quickly became my favorite. Very well run. Lots and lots of vintage. The auction was fun. But poor me has to go to Japan and Thailand instead. ;)

Hi,

I will be there with some 300+ pens from (bleep) in tow.

Ohio is a spectacular show. Well run. Nice hotel. Vintage focus. Great Auction. Lots of down time with pen friends.

Highly recommend it.

Will be there Wed to Monday i imagine.

david

Yippeee, :roflmho:

I'm going. Its a make good trip since I missed the Dallas show (only 5 miles from the house!!!) due to family travel.

I'm looking forward to the repair seminars and watching Richard B & Ron Z work.

Oh yea, I'll probably buy a pen or six.

John

so many pens, so little time.......

Barbara and I will be there, arriving probably Thursday and setting up on Friday for all three show days.

I have my eye on a few pens in the auction list. (And my Nib Noise article for November 1 will be an explanation of auctions at pen shows.)

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I'll be there with a helper TBD... It might be Aaron, or Robyn this year, or maybe both at some point!

But, we plan on being there Friday thru Sunday, hopefully in the main room near Richard instead of out in the hall. Just look for the traffic light and the banner....

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I'm going to miss it this year. :crybaby: I'm doing too much traveling around that time. Last year was my first for the Ohio show. It quickly became my favorite. Very well run. Lots and lots of vintage. The auction was fun. But poor me has to go to Japan and Thailand instead. ;)

Elaine, Ohio won't be the same without you. And here i'd found the missing bag of ultra-baby pens. sigh.

d

It looks like I may be able to go there. I will have to ride the Greyhound in, as I will be recovering from surgery, but I am looking forward to my first pen show. (Luckily pens aren't too heavy!) I won't be selling, but I will be checking out what's there. I hope to pick up a couple of modern pens. I am not educated well enough yet to dive into the vintage market. I am assuming that I will be able to buy inks, paper, nibs and other accessories also? Will the Thursday auction be worth adding the extra day onto my trip? The bus schedule has me arriving in Columbus about One thirty or so in the morning, so I will have to take my time getting to the hotel, and just wait for the show to open up. (I also need to find out how far it is from the bus station to the hotel)

Would the show be a good place to bring an old pen or two that I am interested in having repaired? I wouldn't expect to get it back at the show, but do the repair people pick them up at shows and mail them back a few weeks later? I just dug out an old Parker 51, and I am interested in getting it rejuvinated.

Thanks'

Dave

Too young for Medicare, too old for women to care.

Elaine, Ohio won't be the same without you. And here i'd found the missing bag of ultra-baby pens. sigh.

d

:crybaby: :crybaby:

Would the show be a good place to bring an old pen or two that I am interested in having repaired? I wouldn't expect to get it back at the show, but do the repair people pick them up at shows and mail them back a few weeks later? I just dug out an old Parker 51, and I am interested in getting it rejuvinated.

Thanks'

Dave

Yes, both Richard and Ron bring pens back with them. Ron does repairs on site as well.

hi,

i won't be there either--unless i win the lottery!! :ltcapd: :crybaby:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

I hope to pick up a couple of modern pens. I am not educated well enough yet to dive into the vintage market. I am assuming that I will be able to buy inks, paper, nibs and other accessories also?

Would the show be a good place to bring an old pen or two that I am interested in having repaired? I wouldn't expect to get it back at the show, but do the repair people pick them up at shows and mail them back a few weeks later?

Dave: You're dedicated if you're going to ride the bus and arrive after midnight. In answer to some of your questions... Yes, you can buy all kinds of inks and paper, and some kinds of nibs. You will find lots of modern pens, and you will find plenty of people who will talk to you about their vintage pens, thereby increasing your education. As for repairs, many of the repair people will be happy to take them back to their home cities and then ship the pens back to you once they are repaired. The key thing to remember is that most business is done with people like you and me, not with impersonal corporations. You can strike whatever deal both parties are willing to agree to. Treat the sellers well, and they will treat you well.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Unfortunately, the Ohio Pen Show falls in November, which is one of the two busiest months of my year at the office (the other being October). I would love to go to this show, because I've always felt that the best time of year to visit the Midwest is right before Thanksgiving, after the harvest is over, but the cold and snow haven't yet arrived. It sounds like the show is about the same size as Philadelphia, which is about the size show that most appeals to me. Wish I could be there....

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I'm planning to be there - I've got two tables reserved, and the plan is to bring loads of pens, inks and papers for everyone to take off my hands at fantastic prices. I can't wait!

James

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

I'm planning to be there - I've got two tables reserved, and the plan is to bring loads of pens, inks and papers for everyone to take off my hands at fantastic prices. I can't wait!

James

Oh, just another reason to spend money there. I can't wait.

John