They are! By Whom? Are wood pens w/o the end cap possible?

ribbit

Hi. Title says it all. Is it possible to make a wood pen that looks like, say, a Sailor 1911 or regular MBs? My new baby daughter has a tree name, and I'd kill to have a 1911esque pen made out of that wood. Thanks!

Edited to add:

If you can make such a pen, or know of someone who can, please contact me either on the thread or via PM.

Edited by ribbit

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruaidhri

• OldGriz

• ribbit

• Eagle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First off, I do not make pens. However, that being said, I have seen ebonite pens made by pen turners, and they have a blind cap rather than an end cap of dissimilar material, so, if you have your heart set on having a wooden 1911 style pen, it seems to me that a blind cap could be made of said wood, and attached to the end of the pen barrel in the same manner in which it is done for the ebonite pens. For that matter, it could probably be turned and smoothed without having a blind cap. I was thinking blind cap so the pen could have a gold or silver colored washer between blind cap and pen barrel, just like the 1911.

Penturners, please let me know if I am incorrect, and why. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Relatively simple, making one that posts and looks good is usually the problem.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art". -- Leonardo da Vinci

Actually the posting can be taken care of with a bit of careful measurement.

Just my 2c :)

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Measuring isn't the problem.

I can make any cap fit the tail end to post.

For me it is the components needed to make a good seal when it is capped."Kit" suppliers do not offer a decent "snap cap" set of components.

Using a threaded coupler making the end that won't be marred by the threads when posted is the problem.

I have wanted to play around with the guts of manufactured pen and put custom bindles on it but have not run across a likely candidate.

The world has enough plastic pens I don't wish to add to the problem.I would rather work in a medium that allows me to be more creative, wood.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art". -- Leonardo da Vinci

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Measuring isn't the problem.

I can make any cap fit the tail end to post.

For me it is the components needed to make a good seal when it is capped."Kit" suppliers do not offer a decent "snap cap" set of components.

Using a threaded coupler making the end that won't be marred by the threads when posted is the problem.

I have wanted to play around with the guts of manufactured pen and put custom bindles on it but have not run across a likely candidate.

The world has enough plastic pens I don't wish to add to the problem.I would rather work in a medium that allows me to be more creative, wood.

One of the kit suppliers (Craft Supplies IIRC) make one with a slip clutch not unlike that found on the "51". Can be used easily to make a cap that posts very well.

Cheers,

Ruaidhrí

One of the kit suppliers (Craft Supplies IIRC) make one with a slip clutch not unlike that found on the "51". Can be used easily to make a cap that posts very well.

Cheers,

Ruaidhrí

Could you post some pictures of this kit.... sounds interesting...

Tom,

Here's a (not very good) pic of the kit.

Craft Supplies, either IB702 or IB703 (one is the RB).

The clutch is obvious on the bottom.

You can dump the brass tubing and use the rest if you cut the threads yourself in whatever material you're using.

Cheers,

Ruaidhrí

post-432-1191938723_thumb.jpg

Tom,

Here's a (not very good) pic of the kit.

Craft Supplies, either IB702 or IB703 (one is the RB).

The clutch is obvious on the bottom.

You can dump the brass tubing and use the rest if you cut the threads yourself in whatever material you're using.

Cheers,

Ruaidhrí

Unfortunately, that is not a slip on like the 51... that is a snap cap. You can tell by the white plastic piece and the threaded end of the top of the cap.... the white plastic is adjusted to meet the body part and snap securely in place... I think the clutch is basically just to guide the section in place..

Hi again. I'm so happy to see that this is possible (and the ability to post isn't a great concern to me). Now to find someone to make it. Hmm, a matching letter opener would be nice as well.

Unfortunately, that is not a slip on like the 51... that is a snap cap. You can tell by the white plastic piece and the threaded end of the top of the cap.... the white plastic is adjusted to meet the body part and snap securely in place... I think the clutch is basically just to guide the section in place..

Tom,

What I was referring to was the fact that the clutch allows the pen to post quite nicely, with a little bit of grip; provided of course the tapers are reasonably matched.

Cheers,

R

Tom,

What I was referring to was the fact that the clutch allows the pen to post quite nicely, with a little bit of grip; provided of course the tapers are reasonably matched.

Cheers,

R

This seems a moot discussion, as Craft Supplies (at least in the US) no longer carries this part number.

Larry Korn

Virginia Beach, VA

"An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert Heinlein, "The roads Must Roll"

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I've made and sold a number of pens this way. Here's one that was in the Aug/Sep issue of Stylus. I usually shape wood ones so there isn't any question that the cap is not meant to be posted. The reason is that the threads in the cap will rapidly destroy the finish, whether lacquer or CA. If a synthetic is used it can shaped so the cap will post but over a long period of time, the threads might still dull the gloss of the material but not like wood.

Insert Image

post-2746-1192234772_thumb.jpg

Edited by GerryR

Gerry Rhoades

Montana Pens

www.montanapens.com