Greetings from Milwaukee, WI

yumbo

Greetings from the (soon to be) Snowy North -

I've been spending a lot of time and $$$ on journaling stuff in the past few months. I bought some nifty Kokuyo notebooks (the writing paper is silky smooth), but using throwaway pens from my local Office Depot didn't seem right. So I've decided to take the plunge and buy a fountain pen.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good beginner's pen, under US$50? Until now I've preferred light rollerball pens with bold tips.

Sincerely,

Yumbo

Gustatus similis pullus!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yumbo

• Clive Merrick Morel

• EventHorizon

• PAKMAN

Welcome to Fountain Pen Network, Yumbo!

Sure glad you decided to join the great bunch of folks who hang-out here. :thumbup:

BTW -- Which Koyuko notebooks did you get?.. Do any of the ones below match what you bought?

Here's a decent, relatively inexpensive (around $35 at Office Depot) Pilot Knight fountain pen you might wish to consider... I've used them for years and have had nothing but the best of luck with them... Read an online review of them here.

Please enjoy the many resources avaliable to you at FPN -- and do post often!

Best Regards from Encinitas, California.

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

. Please do not send PMs...E-mail me: clivemmorel@earthlink.net

Staples usually caries the Waterman Phileas. With a medium nib this should fit your needs price wise and writing wise.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome to the FPN from Kentucky!!

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Hi, yumbo :) and welcome from Louisiana. Wish you'd send some cool weather down here where it's still hot and humid.

I second pacmanpony's suggestion for the Waterman Phileas. It was one of my first pens and I still use it a lot although I have more expensive pens. If your handwriting is really small you may find the Phileas medium nib to be too wide. It will probably be OK if your handwriting is average to large. Unfortunately nib sizes are not standard. A medium in one brand might be like a fine in another brand. A lot of the inexpensive pens only come in medium.

I don't have a Pilot Knight, but everybody who has them seems to like them. It may have a finer nib. How about it, Clive? Would you say the Pilot Knight nib is finer or about the same as the Waterman Phileas? I'm curious because I'm very tempted by the Pilot Knight every time I go in Office Depot -- as if I need another pen. :rolleyes:

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

The Pilot Knight is much finer than the Phileas Medium. I also found it smooth and reliable. The issue I had with the Knight is the step up from the section to the metal barrel. Unfortunately, you can't test that out in the office store do to the blister pack packaging. Another really cool option is the Lamy Safari/Vista. This is a big but insanely reliable pen. I know some disagree, but the new Levenger True Writer is also a champ. With shipping you'll exceed your limit by $10-$15 though.

Good Luck yumbo, and welcome aboard.

Hey Yumbo!!! Welcome from Ann Arbor, Michigan!!!!

Like others have said, the Waterman Phileas is a great pen, I had one and loved it. Traded it towards a more expensive pen,and now I regret it.

BTW, are you a Badger fan?

Welcome to Fountain Pen Network, Yumbo!

Sure glad you decided to join the great bunch of folks who hang-out here. :thumbup:

BTW -- Which Koyuko notebooks did you get?.. Do any of the ones below match what you bought?

Here's a decent, relatively inexpensive (around $35 at Office Depot) Pilot Knight fountain pen you might wish to consider... I've used them for years and have had nothing but the best of luck with them... Read an online review of them here.

Please enjoy the many resources avaliable to you at FPN -- and do post often!

Best Regards from Encinitas, California.

-Clive

Hi Clive and everyone else-

Tks for the welcome. I bought the notebooks in photo #4, from thedailyplanner.com.

I read in another thread about some other Japanese notebooks. I called Kinokuniya Seattle and they are shipping me some more.

-Yumbo

Gustatus similis pullus!

Hi All -

Thanks for the welcome. Yesterday I went out and bought a Waterman Phileas from Daly's Pen Shop in Milwaukee. I bought the black model with a medium nib. What a pleasure!

- Yumbo

Gustatus similis pullus!

Welcome. I recommend the Lamy Safari, though you may not like the "ergonomic" grip if you're a left-handed overwriter.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks. I've been poking around these forums. I've always been a bit of a pen freak and it is good to know that I'm not alone, but the amount of information here is overwhelming. It's like trying to take a drink out of a fire hose.

- Yumbo

Gustatus similis pullus!

Tks for the welcome. I bought the notebooks in photo #4, from thedailyplanner.com.

I read in another thread about some other Japanese notebooks. I called Kinokuniya Seattle and they are shipping me some more.

-Yumbo

Hello, Yumbo

That's one spiffy notebook!..Out of curiosity, does it lay perfectly flat when opened, like a Moleskine?.. Also, how fountain pen-friendly are its pages?

Take care.

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

. Please do not send PMs...E-mail me: clivemmorel@earthlink.net

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to FPN. Which pen did you finally settle on?

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Welcome to FPN. Which pen did you finally settle on?

Thanks. I bought a Waterman Phileas, medium point. I am now plotting my next purchase. Any suggestions? (Under $90 please)

Edited by yumbo

Gustatus similis pullus!

A Visconti Pericles. If you like the Phileas nib, wait 'til you feel the slide on one of these darlings. It was my next starter pen and first Italian after the Watermans and, oh boy! If you check out e-bay, you'll probably find one in the mid $80s. Good, quality pens that will match up to multi $100 pen nibs.

A Visconti Pericles. If you like the Phileas nib, wait 'til you feel the slide on one of these darlings. It was my next starter pen and first Italian after the Watermans and, oh boy! If you check out e-bay, you'll probably find one in the mid $80s. Good, quality pens that will match up to multi $100 pen nibs.

You're right ... I do like the smooth action of the Phileas nib, and I will check out the Visconti. Are there any other smooth writers under $90 that you'd recommend?

-Yumbo

Gustatus similis pullus!

-Yumbo

Hello, Yumbo

That's one spiffy notebook!..Out of curiosity, does it lay perfectly flat when opened, like a Moleskine?.. Also, how fountain pen-friendly are its pages?

Take care.

-Clive

Clive - the notebook is very flat when open. A little floppy for my taste. As for the ink on the paper ... I'm using my Phileas with medium nib, Parker Quink Blue-black, and there is absolutely no feathering. Close up, my scribblings look like a watercolor painting. Very nice.

Gustatus similis pullus!