Should I get the MB 149 Diplomat?

Centurion

Well, maybe I should have created a poll, but I think listing reasons for or against the Diplomat would be more useful.

Not completely sure why I want the 149. I am sure some of it has to do with the fact it is a MB, and the 149 is the flagship pen in their collection. Bad or good, MB is a prominent name in FP. So part of it is the fact I am succumbing to their marketing, so much so that if I get one, I am strongly leaning toward getting one from an authorized dealer with all the papers and box.

Let me start the list. Some reasons against getting the MB 149 is that it's overpriced relative to the materials used. It cost $575, and while I have heard rumors that the resin formula has been changed so that it won't shatter as easily as before when dropped, it is disconcerting to worry about the FP falling on the floor and breaking apart. The warranty on the pen is only two years, while others it is for a lifetime.

Some reasons on getting the 149. It fits well with my hand, very comfortable and the nib is big and good. I only used it for a few seconds and in that short period of time I would say it's definitely above average, perhaps not the best I used. It's a MB, so instantly recognizable. It's a classical look because it been around for so long, not necessarily because the design is particularly beautiful. It's a piston fill only, so I can use Noodler's ink in it. I received a MB ballpoint as a gift and the boutique is willing to let me return the gift for store credit so the FP will actually cost me 575 - 260 = $315 The gift wasn't personal, so no worries or awkwardness there. Actually, the gift is a gift from another gift, IOW, my MB ballpoint is actually someone's else gift, but since everybody knows I like and appreciate pens, it was given to me to do as I please. :P

Any feedback, input, or comments would be helpful to me. As of right now, I am leaning towards getting a M and using it as my everyday FP. I tried but still feel squeamish taking out my 991 out of my house and using it. For whatever reasons, I feel safer using a 149 at work and outside of my house. I may even get it engraved, although not sure with what message. I could be boring and just put my name on it. :-)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Centurion

• Bryan

• Garageboy

• southpaw

If you want a big piston pen, have you thought any about Pelikan's offerings? I haven't used either a Montblanc or a Pelikan (yet), but I'd suggest checking them both out.

However, since you can get a $260 credit for turning in something that probably doesn't write much better than most other ballpoints, you can probably get more Montblanc for your money. Go for it if you have the $315 and the desire for a 149.

Good post Centurion, it gets me thinking why I would want a 149. I've been thinking about it for a while myself, but unfortunately, I don't have a trade in. :(

I think for me, I'd want a 149 because it does represent something that has been around for a long time. It's big, and if I was going to own one MB, I wouldn't want something regular sized (The 146 just doesn't cut it, but the burgundy 146 is quite lovely). Frankly, I don't care if anyone at the office notices the brand pen I use or not. Most people think I'm nuts anyway, so flashing a snowflake around wouldn't impress anyone.

I like the piston idea and the inkview window (the 149 does have one right? I'm tired and need to sleep)

What I don't like? Black, black, black. Yeah, it's classic, but it'd be cool if there was maybe one or even two more colors. Heck with the M1000 you still get black or green stripes. I also don't like the supposed disposability of the darn things. If they've changed the formula that's a step in the right direction, but I'm most inclined to get something older, pre-precious resin, which, if memory serves me right was around the 80's.

With the trade, you've got a beautiful situation, get it. Heck, if you don't like it, you could always sell it and get at least your investment back.

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I like 'em. You've got credit for a good portion of the pen, so if the 149 is what you like at this particular shop then go for it.

My favorite pen (this week) is a 20 (or so) year old 149 that came from Ebay and filled with Noodler's Nightshade. Depite the yuppie stigma, it's a nice pen and nearly everyone will recognize it for an nice (expensive) pen (good, bad, or otherwise). I sometimes wonder how much of my opinion comes from MB's successful marketing, but that's really a rhetorical question since I can't answer it.

As for negatives, you have the MB stigma, the short warranty, some bad reviews of the plastic and the customer service and ?? And the 149 can be a bit fat for a shirt pocket. :o

Of course, my next purchase will be a Pelikan M800 or M1000...

Guest Denis Richard

I personaly would like a 149 because I'm pretty sure it's a darn good pen and it is a classic. As much as their marketing is annoying, MontBlanc was a major maker of quality fountain pens way before they started to hire yuppies to promote their stuff :D (actually, I'm somewaht guessing that this started when they where bought by the luxury group they now belong to... anyone ?)

Hi Centurion

I'd say get it. Don't worry about the quality. Although the old celluloid MBs are especially prized, nobody I've heard speaking from knowledge has had problems with the material or build quality of the modern 149. AFAIK, the fragile (or rather brittle) MBs were the modern 144 and the basic ballpoint, largely because the material was too thin. It's probable that in order to get that distinctive hand-feel of the modern MB plastic it has to be a bit brittle, but the 146 and 149 are thick enough (I had a 146 roll off my kitchen table onto a tiled floor :o and it broke the feed and bent the nib, but the barrel was fine). The other MB problem I've seen is trouble with the feed on the 144 series -- a friend has indulged herself with a number of classy variants based on the 144, and has had problems with the feed not feeding adequately on a couple of them. But the 149 has an unblemished reputation.

I would, in fact, get myself a 149 if I had a big enough hand, but I don't. If it feels right to you, do it.

As for the yuppie factor (which is real), you can always say, when someone goes "Gawp! that's a Montblanc," "Yes, a pretty good pen, though I'm looking forward to getting a Pelikan/Aurora/Omas/ST Dupont."

Get one new, or a nice used example? Your decision. I think the money would be about the same, whether you go used, or get new with the trade-in.

Best

Michael

who advises against inverted snobbery

Hi there Centurion,

You already know how I feel about you getting the 149, go for it! With the trade in value of the ballpoint, it's one heck of a deal!

Don't worry too much about the 2 year warranty, I didn't buy my 149 from an authorized dealer and 4 years after the pen was made, the piston snaped. I was expecting to have a costly repair done by MB, however, when the pen arrived back home, I looked at the invoice and under the costs, it simply said, "Good Will". MB service centers are great!

Bryan

Edited by Bryan
http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Thanks everybody for the reponses. I went to try out various nibs sizes and it looks like the M is the best for everyday writing. The B didn't feel any smoother, which would be the only reason for me to get the B. Leaving the boutique I was I feeling a confused because the sales associate showed me a MB pencil for $275 which was quite nice, and suddenly I am thinking, hey I don't have a fancy pencil. Now that I am home and reading your posts I am back on the FP. :-) Yeah, it seems one of my reasons to get the 149 is because it's a MB. Darn their marketing is good. :blush:

I am thinking of bringing my magnifying glass to select a "good" one. What should I be looking for under the magnifying glass? Tines are together, anything else. Sounds a bit nerdy to be using a magnifying glass to select my pen . . .

How wide was the line the medium nib produced?

I have a 149 with a fine and it is wider than most fine nibs. So is the medium really a fat medium?

thanks, jc

If you want a big piston pen, have you thought any about Pelikan's offerings? I haven't used either a Montblanc or a Pelikan (yet), but I'd suggest checking them both out.

However, since you can get a $260 credit for turning in something that probably doesn't write much better than most other ballpoints, you can probably get more Montblanc for your money. Go for it if you have the $315 and the desire for a 149.

Hi Jeff, yes thought about the M1000, but under my situation the Pelikan would cost more, so focusing on the MB.

Get the pen. You know you're going to anyway. Get it today - you could wake up dead tomorrow or catch the diabetes and lose a limb or something (could happen). March yourself down there and don't return without your 149! Someone else may be looking at it -- or worse, touching it -- right now! Who knows where those hands have been?!

I've only had my 149 for about a week and a half and lemme tell ya: Knowing firsthand how this critter feelswritescompares is infinitely better than wondering. I'd readseenheard so much praisehorrorrants over the years that I finally had to take the plunge. So now I know... wet it, wipe it, good night.

There's nothing regrettable about being able to check another item off my "things-I'd-like-to-know" list.

How do I like my 149 you ask? We can compare notes after you've "made an honest pen" out of yours. So GO GET YOUR DAMN PEN! NOW!

Well my friends.

I have my 149 for 20 years now and it went through wierd little problems like failing joint above the ink window. I needed to send it back to reseal (glue it back) twice. They changed the feed for me at one time without asking me (perhaps the modern one is better) and I had to replace the piston 3 years ago.

Do I like it? Yes.

Would I still buy it if I had known about the problems? Yes.

Would I part with it? No

There is something magic about the pen.

And penlovers love it despite the problems.

So go for it, I would say.

Background info: A year ago I would have never thought of spending more than $200 for a FP, but I got the 991 recently so I broke that mental barrier. I just never thought I would spend that much for a FP and no reason why $200 was the borderline. I suppose that's the job of marketers to break down that mental barrier, as Starbuck has done with coffee. Ten years ago, who would have thought they would spend $5 on a cup of coffee? So more than ten years ago I admired the Hemmingway. I liked how it looked. Instantly recognizable as a MB, but definitely more spiffy looking than the traditional Meisterstuck. I could only admire because I couldn't "justify" spending $400 for a well-designed orange resin FP. It was well balance too, but I have no idea how it wrote since the MB boutique would never let a customer dip it. I don't know what a Hemmingway goes for now, but pretty sure it's more than $500. Can anybody verify that? So $400 ten years isn't that much after all?!?!?

I am thinking of bringing my magnifying glass to select a "good" one. What should I be looking for under the magnifying glass? Tines are together, anything else. Sounds a bit nerdy to be using a magnifying glass to select my pen . . .

Magnifying glass = nerdy. Loupe = eccentric. :D

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I am thinking of bringing my magnifying glass to select a "good" one.  What should I be looking for under the magnifying glass?  Tines are together, anything else.  Sounds a bit nerdy to be using a magnifying glass to select my pen . . .

Magnifying glass = nerdy. Loupe = eccentric. :D

Heh, heh. Cool.

Life should be so simple.

Gerry

Hi,

I've had one for 11 years, and it has always been inked. Zero problems, maginficent pen.

The only criticism is that the cap does not post securely, so be careful.

Regards,

Jeen

I wish they made one in Platnium trim instead

I like the Platinum too, thus my ballpoint is Platinum. In a way, it's nice that the 149 only comes with one trim, sort no non-sense just a FP.

Hi,

I've had one for 11 years, and it has always been inked. Zero problems, maginficent pen.

The only criticism is that the cap does not post securely, so be careful.

Regards,

Jeen

Hmmm, yes they could be a problem with posting the cap. Have you written with a 146 size nib? If yes, what are the differences between the 149 nib versus the 146?

I don't know what a Hemmingway goes for now, but pretty sure it's more than $500. Can anybody verify that? So $400 ten years isn't that much after all?!?!?

Yep, if new/never used, you could easily get $2,000+ for this same pen now.

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg