87 replies to this topic

#81 mitto

mitto

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 15:12

That is interesting. I know that the RB-1 and FP-1 (the forrunner of the Vector) was produced in Janesville. Early production problems were some of the reasons for Janesville's demise. It is just possible that some were made in France before production moved to the Far East. I wonder if anyone has any pictures?
The RB-1 and FP-1 had a slightly different two piece clip.

Never saw a two piece clip on Vectors. Could you please explain. Have more than a dozen Vectors but none of two piece clip. Clips of these two different designs but none of tow pieces.

Edited by mitto, 27 November 2014 - 15:17.

#82 Spikey Mike

Spikey Mike

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2014 - 16:57

On the early RB1 and FP1 versions the clip is made from 2 pieces ... namely a spring steel piece with the arrow mounted onto that. In 1986 the pens were slightly redesigned into what we now know as the vector with a one piece clip a longer section and a correspondingly longer cap. If you look at them side on the second piece is more obvious on the early pens. If you look at a Parker Vector Clip side on you will see the tip of the arrow is nice and rounded and touches (or nearly touches) the plastic. On the early ones the point of the arrow is sharper without the rounded back and sits well clear of the plastic cap, but further up just past the start of the feathers you will find a bump on the that touches the plastic. Parker had many complaints about the sharper older clips going straight through clothes when you clipped your pen on.

Like this (although the bottom one is from a Parker Arrow the clip is the same style). You can clearly see the 2 pieces in the bottom clip.

rbvectorclip.jpg

Edited by Spikey Mike, 27 November 2014 - 17:16.

pen01.jpg pen02.jpg

#83 mitto

mitto

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,189 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:32

So you have to see beneath the clip to just know whether the clip was of tow pieces. Oh well , you can also note the tip of the arrow as to whether it was rounded or sharper. Never noticed this difference until I read Matlock's post above. Would however , now see all my Vectors for the difference in their clips. Thanks you anyway.    

#84 mitto

mitto

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,189 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:13

All Vectors up to 2010 were made in the UK. They are now made in India and China.

Do you mean no Vectors were made in the US ? I have quite a few that say " Made in USA ". As for French made Vectors , I dont have any information though.

#85 Matlock

Matlock

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:59

Do you mean no Vectors were made in the US ? I have quite a few that say " Made in USA ". As for French made Vectors , I dont have any information though.

I answered this on post 79 in reply to inkstainedruth. She too has seen Vectors marked "Made in USA". Interestingly you replied to that post regarding the two piece clips on RB-1 & FP-1.

Further to the clip issue, the whole Vector range, including RB-1 & FP-1, were designed at Newhaven. Janesville insisted that they should use the Arrow clip but as this clip was known to tear pockets to pieces Newhaven stood their ground and the one piece clip was used on all Vectors. Janesville were not best pleased and this was the beginning of the end (along with other issues). Whilst Newhaven saw a 70% increase in profits, Janesville's profits collapsed leading to the take over of the Parker empire by the Newhaven management. Then followed one of the most profitable periods in Parker's history until greed took over and the Newhaven management sold out to Gillette. The rest is history and we have seen the end of a great pen company in all but name.

Peter

#86 mitto

mitto

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,189 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 14:24

I answered this on post 79 in reply to inkstainedruth. She too has seen Vectors marked "Made in USA". Interestingly you replied to that post regarding the two piece clips on RB-1 & FP-1.
Further to the clip issue, the whole Vector range, including RB-1 & FP-1, were designed at Newhaven. Janesville insisted that they should use the Arrow clip but as this clip was known to tear pockets to pieces Newhaven stood their ground and the one piece clip was used on all Vectors. Janesville were not best pleased and this was the beginning of the end (along with other issues). Whilst Newhaven saw a 70% increase in profits, Janesville's profits collapsed leading to the take over of the Parker empire by the Newhaven management. Then followed one of the most profitable periods in Parker's history until greed took over and the Newhaven management sold out to Gillette. The rest is history and we have seen the end of a great pen company in all but name.

Does that mean that the single piece clip " Made in USA" Vectors are fake? I am still confused. Also , Inkstainedruth says the US made Vectors' clips were black but my USA made Vectors clips aren't black. Rather , the one I have with black clip ( RB ) is "Made in UK". Here :

#87 Matlock

Matlock

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2014 - 14:53

Does that mean that the single piece clip " Made in USA" Vectors are fake? I am still confused. Also , Inkstainedruth says the US made Vectors' clips were black but my USA made Vectors clips aren't black. Rather , the one I have with black clip ( RB ) is "Made in UK". Here :

It is becoming clear that the Vector story is not as cut and dried as was thought. I am sure that your pen is not a fake but I don't think anyone has carried out a full study of the Vector and more varieties will show as time goes on.

Perhaps someone closer to the operations at Janesville will come up with a more accurate picture?

Peter

#88 mitto

mitto

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,189 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 15:22

That is it. Thank you Matlock dear.

[Sponsored Content]