Top Posters In This Topic

• s_t_e_v_e

• alpha1

• hari317

• shrujaya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Add my name to the list!

Incidentally - I wrote to them to request a catalog some time back (late October) but have not gotten a response yet.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Hi!

Here are a few Indian ebonite hand made pens. All eyedroppers. The brown one has a hooded nib. The green one is of the size of a Pelikan M800 or maybe a M1000.

The first pic has a waterman Hemisphere for size reference.

http://i23.tinypic.com/i282o0.jpg

http://i23.tinypic.com/mkevy0.jpg

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve !

Thanks for rekindling my interest in Ratnam pens. After reading about the rich history of Ratnam Pens, I have been wanting to own some of these, but did not actually get around to ordering.

After reading your post, I decided to delay no longer. I spoke to Mr. Ramanamurthy yesterday and today have sent my order for the following:

No. 302 Big size - 1

No. 32 Medium size - 1

No. 21 Medium size - 1

(all with Steel nibs. I can't afford the Gold nibs yet!)

My pens should be with me in about a week's time.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi!

Here are a few Indian ebonite hand made pens. All eyedroppers. The brown one has a hooded nib. The green one is of the size of a Pelikan M800 or maybe a M1000.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve !

Thanks for rekindling my interest in Ratnam pens. After reading about the rich history of Ratnam Pens, I have been wanting to own some of these, but did not actually get around to ordering.

After reading your post, I decided to delay no longer. I spoke to Mr. Ramanamurthy yesterday and today have sent my order for the following:

No. 302 Big size - 1

No. 32 Medium size - 1

No. 21 Medium size - 1

Hi...I joined FPN recently and I have quite a few fountain pens. Of late, I have been collecting Indian fountain pens and am now a proud owner of Ratnam 14 ct Gold Nib fountain pen. It cost quite a bit by Indian standards. I also have two steel nib Ratnam Pens. My next item on the list is the Brahmam Fountain Pen. These are manufactured in Vijayawada, in Andhra Pradesh, India. I saw them at Deccan Pen Stores in Hyderabad. They look solid. The workmanship is very good. I have also been trying to get Guider Fountain Pens, also manufactured in Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh. Though they have a website, there hasn't been a satisfactory response. I don't know whether members know of this brand of ebonite pens called 'Advocate'. I have a 6 inches Black coloured FP of the Advocate brand...you can injure somebody...it is that big...almost like a baton...it writes well though...

Regards

Jayasrinivasa Rao

Hyderabad

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

Hi!

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve !

No. 302 Big size - 1

No. 32 Medium size - 1

No. 21 Medium size - 1

Hi...I joined FPN recently and I have quite a few fountain pens. Of late, I have been collecting Indian fountain pens and am now a proud owner of Ratnam 14 ct Gold Nib fountain pen. It cost quite a bit by Indian standards. I also have two steel nib Ratnam Pens. My next item on the list is the Brahmam Fountain Pen. These are manufactured in Vijayawada, in Andhra Pradesh, India. I saw them at Deccan Pen Stores in Hyderabad. They look solid. The workmanship is very good. I have also been trying to get Guider Fountain Pens, also manufactured in Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh. Though they have a website, there hasn't been a satisfactory response. I don't know whether members know of this brand of ebonite pens called 'Advocate'. I have a 6 inches Black coloured FP of the Advocate brand...you can injure somebody...it is that big...almost like a baton...it writes well though...

Regards

Jayasrinivasa Rao

Hyderabad

I also have to add that Mr Ramanamurthy, prop of Ratnam Pens, also inscribes your name on the Gold nib (only), though this facility is available only for bigger size pens, like No. 302 and Supreme...usually 4-5 letters only, but if it is a No. 42 pen with a encircling nib, then you can have your full name inscribed. I had JAYA inscribed on the nib of the No. 302 Pen I purchased. It feels good to have a personalised pen. I will try and upload the pictures of Ratnam Pens...

Ratnam_FPs.doc

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

Regards

Jayasrinivasa Rao

Hyderabad

Hi Jayasrinivasa,

I have always maintained that Hyderabad is the Mecca for Indian ebonite FPs. The advocate model is manufactured by deccan pen stores themselves in Hyderabad. They have recently intoduced a steel capped variant of their advocate, try that out as well, the green mottled version is gorgeous...

I have a Guider gold nibbed pen. it is a good pen too. You may contact Mr. G.L. Rao of Guider on 0-9390163779, he is a bit slow with emails.

How is the writing performance of your Ratnam model 302?

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Regards

Jayasrinivasa Rao

Hyderabad

Hi Jayasrinivasa,

I have always maintained that Hyderabad is the Mecca for Indian ebonite FPs. The advocate model is manufactured by deccan pen stores themselves in Hyderabad. They have recently intoduced a steel capped variant of their advocate, try that out as well, the green mottled version is gorgeous...

I have a Guider gold nibbed pen. it is a good pen too. You may contact Mr. G.L. Rao of Guider on 0-9390163779, he is a bit slow with emails.

How is the writing performance of your Ratnam model 302?

Regards,

Hari

Dear Hari,

Though I don't write with it very much, but whenever I use it I feel good. The writing is very smooth. I also purchased a No. 32 Steel Nib along with this; haven't started writing with that. I saw the Brahmam Ebonite Gold Nib pens at Deccan...too tempting I must say...but costlier than Ratnam. Coming to Guider...I wrote a letter to them as well as a couple of emails...no response to the letter....thanks for the number. How is the performance of Guider gold nib pen? how much did it cost? I think there is some competition related issues with these pen manufacturers...I am not sure though...this guess is purely based on general banter I had with Deccan pen people...they seem to be promoting Brahmam...and so were not too enthusiastic talking about Ratnam or Guider...anyway...that hardly matters...I would like to know more about Brahmam Pens...any clues...

Along with this, I also recently bought a Waterman Hemisphere GT medium tipped FP...and a Reynolds fountain pen...looks like ebonite, but doesnt seem to be one...Next one is a Lamy... ha ha ha...it is never ending...but I am diligently looking for Indian made ebonite F pens...pl send me info as and when you come across them...by the way...Hari, where do you stay? close to Hyderbad...? Regards,

Jai

I have tried only the steel nibbed Ratnamson pens models 302, 32, 21 and 15. Of all the pens 302 is my favorite. 32 and 15 is better for people who prefer smaller pens of the size of the parker sonnet.

In fact there are three Ebonite Pen manufacturers in RajahMundry namely Ratnam, Ratnamson (whose catalog is posted in this topic by Steve) and Guider and understandably they are competitors.

The original Ratnam pen company founded by MV Ratnam in 1930s is now split among his sons into the Ratnam Pen company and Ratnamson pen. Brahmam is the traditional goldsmith surname in AP and the vijayawada factory is headed by the son in law of Sri MV Ratnam (Source: Owner Deccan pen stores-Green lands Branch). Bramham is exclusively sold through Deccan pen stores only.

The Guider gold nibbed pen is good, I have the model with a no.5 sized nib and it cost me 1800/-. Guider is the only manufacturer who still has some 1950s celluloid stock left over, He also makes a 7inch pen called the Raja model Jumbo.

Deccan pen stores manufacture their own line of pens namely the "Advocate" and the "Deccan". On my last visit to Hyderabad I picked up some of their excellent "slip cap" ebonite FPs with STYB nibs. They also manufacture giant ED MB look-alikes in ebonite having a brushed finish like the Lamy 2K.

Another Ebonite pen company from Hyderabad now closed in the "MISAK" which is the reverse of KASIM, the name of the proprietor. You can still find some old stock at the "Gupta pen stores" on RP road, Sec'Bad.

There are some manufacturers of Ebonite pens in Madras(Chennai) too... in fact AFAIK all the ebonite raw stock also is manufactured in Madras.

I will send the Ratnam Pen Company catalog for information if anyone is interested. pls PM me the email address.

All the best to you in your quest for Indian ebonites...

Regards,

Hari

Mumbai.

Dear Hari,

Though I don't write with it very much, but whenever I use it I feel good. The writing is very smooth. I also purchased a No. 32 Steel Nib along with this; haven't started writing with that. I saw the Brahmam Ebonite Gold Nib pens at Deccan...too tempting I must say...but costlier than Ratnam. Coming to Guider...I wrote a letter to them as well as a couple of emails...no response to the letter....thanks for the number. How is the performance of Guider gold nib pen? how much did it cost? I think there is some competition related issues with these pen manufacturers...I am not sure though...this guess is purely based on general banter I had with Deccan pen people...they seem to be promoting Brahmam...and so were not too enthusiastic talking about Ratnam or Guider...anyway...that hardly matters...I would like to know more about Brahmam Pens...any clues...

Along with this, I also recently bought a Waterman Hemisphere GT medium tipped FP...and a Reynolds fountain pen...looks like ebonite, but doesnt seem to be one...Next one is a Lamy... ha ha ha...it is never ending...but I am diligently looking for Indian made ebonite F pens...pl send me info as and when you come across them...by the way...Hari, where do you stay? close to Hyderbad...? Regards,

Jai

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have tried only the steel nibbed Ratnamson pens models 302, 32, 21 and 15. Of all the pens 302 is my favorite. 32 and 15 is better for people who prefer smaller pens of the size of the parker sonnet.

In fact there are three Ebonite Pen manufacturers in RajahMundry namely Ratnam, Ratnamson (whose catalog is posted in this topic by Steve) and Guider and understandably they are competitors.

The original Ratnam pen company founded by MV Ratnam in 1930s is now split among his sons into the Ratnam Pen company and Ratnamson pen. Brahmam is the traditional goldsmith surname in AP and the vijayawada factory is headed by the son in law of Sri MV Ratnam (Source: Owner Deccan pen stores-Green lands Branch). Bramham is exclusively sold through Deccan pen stores only.

The Guider gold nibbed pen is good, I have the model with a no.5 sized nib and it cost me 1800/-. Guider is the only manufacturer who still has some 1950s celluloid stock left over, He also makes a 7inch pen called the Raja model Jumbo.

Deccan pen stores manufacture their own line of pens namely the "Advocate" and the "Deccan". On my last visit to Hyderabad I picked up some of their excellent "slip cap" ebonite FPs with STYB nibs. They also manufacture giant ED MB look-alikes in ebonite having a brushed finish like the Lamy 2K.

Another Ebonite pen company from Hyderabad now closed in the "MISAK" which is the reverse of KASIM, the name of the proprietor. You can still find some old stock at the "Gupta pen stores" on RP road, Sec'Bad.

There are some manufacturers of Ebonite pens in Madras(Chennai) too... in fact AFAIK all the ebonite raw stock also is manufactured in Madras.

I will send the Ratnam Pen Company catalog for information if anyone is interested. pls PM me the email address.

Regards,

Hari

Mumbai.

Dear Hari,

Jai

Thanks Hari, thats a great deal of info...I will check out on the models that you wrote and also check out MISAK at Gupta Pen Stores...I hope they have them...At Deccan pen Stores, Abids, the other day, they showed me a celluloid Brahmam gold nib pen...Rs.4500/- ...are they that expensive? they didnt have any steel nib Brahmam then...said stocks were over...anyway...will keep looking out for ebonite pens...thanks...

Jai

Hmm... has anyone managed to obtain a supply to ship to the States and elsewhere? I'm getting more and more interested as time passes... :cloud9:

- zer0render

(Ink Trading - My List)

Hmm... has anyone managed to obtain a supply to ship to the States and elsewhere? I'm getting more and more interested as time passes... :cloud9:

Count me in too. Has anyone determined if they ship / mail to the U.S? I've bought plenty of stuff on eBay from folks in Asia (electronic components) so I know that shipping is not that big of a deal.

Has anyone determined if they ship / mail to the U.S?

I have asked Ratnamson and they are currently unable to ship outside India.

I do not know how good the international insured parcel system is or of the insured courier charges...

If anyone is keen on getting the pen; pls send me a PM, I am ready to buy one pen on your behalf from Ratnamson and send it across. I will be able to do this only for the first person who sends me the PM.

Regards,

Hari,

Mumbai

PS: I have already recd the PM. Thank you.

Edited by hari317

Regards,

Hari

Mumbai.

Dear Hari,

Jai

Thanks Hari, thats a great deal of info...I will check out on the models that you wrote and also check out MISAK at Gupta Pen Stores...I hope they have them...At Deccan pen Stores, Abids, the other day, they showed me a celluloid Brahmam gold nib pen...Rs.4500/- ...are they that expensive? they didnt have any steel nib Brahmam then...said stocks were over...anyway...will keep looking out for ebonite pens...thanks...

Jai

Hi Hari...I spoke to Lakshmana Rao of Guider, and placed order for a celluloid and an ebonite pen...will probably reach on 1st. Thanks for giving me the number. I went around R P Road day before yesterday, but couldnt locate Gupta Pen Stores...in case you remember, could you please give me some landmark...I also went inside Deccan Pen stores, Sec'bad branch, and found some Brahmam ebonite, ordinary nibs...I asked for the slip cap ebonite FPs with STYB nibs...they didnt have any...I also asked whether they knew anything about Gupta Pen Stores, and they said it closed long ago...meanwhile, I rechecked my 3 ratnam pens and found that two of them had 'ratnamson' on the cap clip...and the other had 'ratnam' on the clip, and one of them, the gold nib one, had 'ratnam and son' on the nib, ...so, I am not sure whether they are two different entities working in harmony...

Jai

Hi Jai,

Congratulations on your Guider! If possible give us all a detailed review when you receive the pens.

Walking down from the Deccan pen stores towards Rezimental Bazaar; Gupta pen stores comes on the right hand side of the road, after approximately 200mts. It was open in 2005, very sad that old pen shops are closing down.

The Ratnam Ballpen Works (Ratnamson) was also called as "K.V. Ratnam and Sons" as can be seen in the plaque below Gandhiji's letter to M. V. Ratnam.

AFAIK, the fountain pen unit of the original company and the brand name RATNAM went to one brother and the ballpen unit went to the other brother. The ball pen unit owned by Mr. KV Ramanamurthy now known as "Ratnam Ballpen Works" manufactures Fountain pens under the brand name RATNAMSON.

Mr. Sreeramachandramurthy owns the RATNAM pen factory making only fountain pens. Pls send me a PM if you are interested in his contact details/catalog.

You may alternatively enquire in the Abids branch for the metal slip cap ebonites with "D" marked on Cap, maybe they still have some stock. I had bought them from the RP rd branch.

Last time I visited the RP Rd branch in october this year, the only steel nibbed Brahmams avlbl were the WingSung nibbed ones and one single green colored Brahmam "leader" with open nib, what is the stock situation now?

Regards,

Hari

Hi Hari...I spoke to Lakshmana Rao of Guider, and placed order for a celluloid and an ebonite pen...will probably reach on 1st. Thanks for giving me the number. I went around R P Road day before yesterday, but couldnt locate Gupta Pen Stores...in case you remember, could you please give me some landmark...I also went inside Deccan Pen stores, Sec'bad branch, and found some Brahmam ebonite, ordinary nibs...I asked for the slip cap ebonite FPs with STYB nibs...they didnt have any...I also asked whether they knew anything about Gupta Pen Stores, and they said it closed long ago...meanwhile, I rechecked my 3 ratnam pens and found that two of them had 'ratnamson' on the cap clip...and the other had 'ratnam' on the clip, and one of them, the gold nib one, had 'ratnam and son' on the nib, ...so, I am not sure whether they are two different entities working in harmony...

Jai

Hi all,

I am now the proud owner of 3 Ratnamsons ebonite pens:

1) No. 302 BIG - mottled Green-Black

2) No. 32 MEDIUM - BLACK

3) No. 21 MEDIUM - Mottled Brown-Black with hooded nib

All three are with steel nibs.

Before ordering, I spoke to Dr. Ramanamurthy - he was politeness personified and answered all my questions patiently. He promised to despatch my pens within a week of receiving my order and was true to his word.

It took me 2 days of drooling over the pens and 2 more days deciding what colour of ink to use in which pen before I decided to try out the No. 32 Medium Black first. The other two are still resting in their small cardboard cases (after the tiring journey from Rajamundhry to Bangalore!) and I intend to start them off this weekend.

Maybe I'll get around to reviewing the 32 soon.

Thanks very much on the info regarding Ratnam, Ratnamsons, Guider and Brahmam pens. These are on my list of "to-acquire-soon" pens!

Best regards,

Shiv