MB Starwalker Skipping

kubalai

Hi all,

Just purchased the Black resin Starwalker. Whilst it looks good, feels good. The nib is a real disappointment. I have to turn the nib around and draw a few strokes to get the ink flowing & then when I start to write in the correct fashion it still skips consistently. If left for a few seconds the nib stops working.

Judging by the various views about MB it seems to be the luck of the draw. The fact that the nibs are hand crafted & undergo stringent checking as per the MB website, I wonder how this poor quality nib was missed.

Regards

Edited by kubalai

Sincerest Regards

Kubalai

“We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RayMan

• MikeW

• RLTodd

• kenny

Top Posters In This Topic

Most if not all new pens I've purchased have needed several rounds of flushing and use before they began to flow consistently. Continued skipping after several rounds of flushing and use is simply unacceptable in a new pen, however, especially a MB.

As far as slow starting is concerned, the ink could be the culprit. I've noticed that some inks are slower starters than others. I do have a few pens (Waterman Kultur and Sheaffer Fashion), however, which become slow starters after more than a day of non-use no matter what ink I use.

Regards,

Ray

I had this very same problem with my Starwalker when I started using it. As a cartridge only pen, you need to pinch the cartridge to get enough ink into the feed and get the flow going. You might need to do it a few times as well as you might need to flush once or twice. Trust me, it will work fine after a few iterations of these actions. If not, take it back to a Montblanc dealer.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

I had this very same problem with my Starwalker when I started using it. As a cartridge only pen, you need to pinch the cartridge to get enough ink into the feed and get the flow going. You might need to do it a few times as well as you might need to flush once or twice. Trust me, it will work fine after a few iterations of these actions. If not, take it back to a Montblanc dealer.

Good point. I should have asked if this was a cartridge pen. I've found that I have more difficulty getting a pen started when it's loaded with a cartridge. When you load from a bottle, you're priming or wetting the entire ink channel at the same time you're filling the pen. Not so when you pop a new cartridge into a pen, especially a new pen. Mike's suggestion makes sense.

Regards,

Ray

Even though it is a cartridge pen can't you stick a converter on the back for flushing?

I would had a drop of liquid dish soap to a cup of water and flush with that as the combination frequently solves flow problems.

YMMV

Hi all,

Just purchased the Black resin Starwalker. Whilst it looks good, feels good. The nib is a real disappointment. I have to turn the nib around and draw a few strokes to get the ink flowing & then when I start to write in the correct fashion it still skips consistently. If left for a few seconds the nib stops working.

Judging by the various views about MB it seems to be the luck of the draw. The fact that the nibs are hand crafted & undergo stringent checking as per the MB website, I wonder how this poor quality nib was missed.

Regards

Hi,

Actually, skipping seems to be a fairly common problem (that is if your MB has problems--not all MB pens have problems)

I have fixed up quite a few models ailed with this.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I'd take it back to MontBlanc and have them send it in for service. It should write properly right out of the box. It probably just needs a bit of nib smoothing.