Waterman Exception...drool

npt3

Has anyone seen these (not yet in the states)? What a great looking pen. But it appears that they may have discontinued the Edson. Am I wrong on this one?

Nick

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Cullen

• lanatir

• djahughes

• npt3

• 2 weeks later...

Hows it feel in the hand/nib quality?

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

woodwindmaster, the nib is very smooth but has just enough bite onto paper. it's stiff imho but is a very confident writer. it feels a lot different from my omas or dupont.

the grip? wonderful.. i wish there were more rectangular pens. very ergonomic and feels natural.

Regards

Kelvin

My Blog

Hi Nick,

Has anyone seen these (not yet in the states)?  What a great looking pen.  But it appears that they may have discontinued the Edson.  Am I wrong on this one?

Nick

Over here in the NL the Exception doesn't appear to be selling very well, unlike the pen it replaced, the Liaison. The Liaison was discontinued, and is very hard to find already.

Rumours of the Edson to be discontinued come up every so often, and they were actually going to stop production early last year. However, so many people and dealers (I guess they are people too :lol:) complained, that they decided to continue production, at least for this year. It actually still appears in the dealer catalogue for next year, too. So I guess, it will be with us for a little time to come.

The Edson LE (the silver one) did sell out completely, as far as I know, and of course, production was limited to 4000 pieces. Prices are rising for the ones on offer already, I noticed.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

The Exception has arrived in the States!!! :D Wow, the Black Night and Day is beautiful!

Off of FPH.com

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/waterman_images/NADGLDFP.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Exception Nib

Does the nib feel like the nib on the Phileas or L'Etalon? Both of those nibs are very very smooth. Thanks,jc

I tried one when I returned my MB 146 (after in broke for the third time!) but felt it was too top heavy when posted and I always post my caps.

Wrote very nicely and the way the body opened to reveal the convertor was beautiful - like a mini bayonet screw from a camera.

It must be me but I always feel cheated by an expensive pen being cartridge/convertor; I feel I'm getting more for my money somehow with a piston filler.

What do you feel are the benefits of a c/c pen?

I ask partly because I'm buying a Dunhill Sidecar that is C/C

Thanks

David Hughes

I am not sure why I delight so much in using piston fillers, but I am recently appreciating the c/c pens because they are usually so easy to clean out.

Someone reported in a post recently that excessive flushing might simply add to piston wear and so if I am using one of the saturated colors I use a c/c pen to avoid having to flush repeatedly and overwork the piston.

But honestly, usually I don't worry about the pen's life beyond what I figure my life is likely to be. :)

This new waterman is tempting. jc

I'm with you John. I don't mind c/c fillers, because they are so easy to clean and replace and because they are reliable. I've never had one fail. My favorite filling mechanism is the aerometric on the P51 for speed, but c/c is a close second. I like piston fillers because the piston is more of an integral component, but repairing one is more problematic.

Regards,

Jeen

I tried one when I returned my MB 146 (after in broke for the third time!) but felt it was too top heavy when posted and I always post my caps.

Wrote very nicely and the way the body opened to reveal the convertor was beautiful - like a mini bayonet screw from a camera.

It must be me but I always feel cheated by an expensive pen being cartridge/convertor; I feel I'm getting more for my money somehow with a piston filler.

Thanks

I never post my fountain pens - it seems insulting to the pen to do this! I only ever post rollerballs and ballpoints which have caps.

There are many advantages to the CC system, but the main one is convenience, because you can use either the converter or a disposable cartridge. Piston fillers belong to a long gone romantic age and are not practical for the hectic modern life. If you travel with your pen you don't want to have to take an ink bottle with you!

Thanks

I never post my fountain pens - it seems insulting to the pen to do this! I only ever post rollerballs and ballpoints which have caps.

There are many advantages to the CC system, but the main one is convenience, because you can use either the converter or a disposable cartridge. Piston fillers belong to a long gone romantic age and are not practical for the hectic modern life. If you travel with your pen you don't want to have to take an ink bottle with you!

Why wouldn't you post pens caps?

Surely most pens other than VERY large pens are designed to be posted. Certainly my Pelikan 805 is not comfortable unless posted; although my Lamy Al-Star is top havy when posted but too short again when not so it doesn't get used much.

David Hughes

This is a personal taste thing. Some pens I post, sometimes. But most often, I write with the cap in my other hand or on the desk. I believe this is more common among European FP users, but couldn't point you to a definitive study or anything!

Ray