Sailor Professional Gear Slim Mini (Sailor Sapporo Mini)

Taki

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GeMiNi22

• KCat

• Taki

• Belan

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so I didn't get a blue one ..... yet.... but I had to add some comments and pictures to this. Including comparison photos with a Pelikan M250.

This pen really does strike you as tiny when you flip open the box.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/rapt_up/sailor_sap_mini.jpg

When I opened my Pelikan 250 I thought, "oh that's kinda small" when I opened the Sailor, my response was "wow that really is SMALL!" Its tiny, but so cute.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/rapt_up/sailorcappedt_v_m250.jpg

The grids are 4 to the inch in the photos.

Uncapped the pen is absurdly small looking, and while it is possible to write with it, its not really comfortable for me. I find the M250 feels just a hair small, and as you can see its longer (although slightly narrower) than the Mini.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/rapt_up/sailorunpost_v_m250.jpg

But posted the pen is a full size pen and easily held and written with. Actually noticeably larger than the Pelikan M250 (un posted). I typically don't post my pens, but this one really requires it and with the threads for the cap makes it a positive experience. The posting threads on my pen are indexed so the clip is either in line with the nib or 180 degrees out. This if not a fluke (and its unlikely to be so) shows exceptional attention to detail in the manufacture. Once posted the pen is more comfortable for me than the Pelikan.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/rapt_up/Sailorpost_v_m250.jpg

Here you can clearly see the size difference with the Mini (posted) being both longer and wider than the Pelikan.

I didn't clean or flush the pen before inking it with one of the cartridges provided. After a couple squeezes to prime the feed it wrote immediately and flawlessly. So far this pen has been my easiest starter, including used pens. The nib is smooth with a slight sense of feedback. I really like the feel so far. More extended writing will provide further insight in this area. My nib is an M but writes considerably finer than my Pelikan medium. Closer to the fine (0.3mm) tip on the Platinum Preppy. It may seem wider with some inks and papers because the nib is quite a bit better in flow than the Platinum. The writing in the background is done with the Sailor Jentle blue-black and a cheap pad the bleeds terribly, but is all I had on hand at the time. I find even with my Pelikan that I can outstrip the flow but doing fast underlines or swoops. Not so with the Sailor, as fast as I an draw a line it'll lay it down.

My assessment is that so far I REALLY like this pen and unless there are surprises I expect to buy more, in different colours and nibs.

I think this pen (or perhaps the similarly sized Pilot Prera) may be ideal gift pens.

Edited by Rapt

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

OK so I didn't get a blue one ..... yet.... but I had to add some comments and pictures to this. Including comparison photos with a Pelikan M250.

This pen really does strike you as tiny when you flip open the box.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/rapt_up/sailor_sap_mini.jpg

THAT IS SO CUTE! *Faints.*

Opens one eye, manages to say, "I likes."

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 1 year later...

how does the morita colour compare to the pilot prera light blue? Is the sailor more "turquoisy"?

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

• 1 year later...

My apologies for reviving a 2 year old thread - was anyone able to successfully order the Morita coloured Sailor mini from North America? My email to Morita has gone unanswered, presumably because it's english, and I'm unable to submit an order on Ujuku's website =(

• 1 year later...

Please would someone clarify a point on this series of pens?

What is the barrel end cap made of? I'm concerned that an exposed plastic screw thread could get worn or damaged over time, making it impossible to post the cap. I've searched online but can find an answer anywhere, hence this query.

Sorry if I've used incorrect terminology but I'm a newbie to the world of fountain pens.

Hoping someone can help.

Ian

Well, it's pretty tough stuff...I think the threads on the end of the barrel will likely outlast you. I've had one for several months now, and it looks pretty much new. The plastic used is the same stuff they use for the cap & section. If you are worried about that, I'd be more worried about your cap falling off the pen altogether.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...