Sailor Professional Gear Slim Mini (Sailor Sapporo Mini)

Taki

I ... need ... this pen.

Now, how the heck do I buy it?!

angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night --Ginsberg

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. --Buddha

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently Carrying:

Dani Trio Fellowship (F), TWSBI Diamond 530 (XF), Visconti Opera Granite (B), Sailor Sapporo (F)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GeMiNi22

• KCat

• Taki

• Belan

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonia, that would be "kawaii"...vowels in Japanese are very similar to Spanish. I'm working on another review ;)

Pronounced "kah-wah-ee" :)

a = ah

i = e (as in "ear")

u = eww (think teenage girl)

e = ay (as in "way")

o = oh

Thanks!

Taki is right, pronunciation is very similar to Spanish as opposed to English. I can almost perfectly pronounce Japanese...if I only knew how to read it!! ;)

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Thanks!

Taki is right, pronunciation is very similar to Spanish as opposed to English. I can almost perfectly pronounce Japanese...if I only knew how to read it!! ;)

What'll throw you for a loop would be words like "desu" ... it's pronounced "des", the u is almost completely silent.

As far as reading it ... it's difficult because there are 4 writing styles.

1) Romanji - western characters spelling out the words

2) Hiragana - phonetic character set (46 main characters, then you have specials that comprise sounds like "Kyo" in Kyoto, and accented characters for sounds like "Po") used for native words, but you don't know the kanji.

2) Katakana - phonetic character set (same phonetic mapping as Hiragana, but different characters), used for foreign words like "computer".

4) Kanji - A symbol, or compound symbols which has a complex meaning. Mostly imported from China between 8th and 13th centuries & evolved from there. Kanji have two types of meaning, on and kun. Basically, the Chinese sound of the word, and the Japanese "meaning" of the word. It can get very confusing, especially when dealing with names of people when introduced via speech or romanji.

There are language proficiency levels that you can test for (4 tests total, I think you have to learn about 2000 kanji for the final test) that give you focus while trying to learn the language. I think the failure rate for the first test for overseas takers is above 70%. Notice I said "failure". And you only have to know about 100 kanji for that test :)

I'm able to read some of the page that Taki pointed to, but not enough to actually conduct a transaction ... certainly not when I don't have a readily available payment method I know will work. I wonder if something like a certified check would work ... hmmm. Or I could always try to FedEx cash with a picture of the item I want ;)

angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night --Ginsberg

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. --Buddha

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently Carrying:

Dani Trio Fellowship (F), TWSBI Diamond 530 (XF), Visconti Opera Granite (B), Sailor Sapporo (F)

I just found out that there's something called "International Postal Money Order" ... maybe the merchant accepts that!

Currently Carrying:

Tak, that is AWESOME. Pity I hadn't seen this review until now.

(Thank God Kara hasn't seen it...yet.)

I want to see this one next time we get together.

Maybe we need to set up a central IA fountain pen get together sometime over the holidays. I'll check my calendar and see if I can't get something together.

Thanks, Ryan! I know you are busy travelling but let me know when you and Kara have time!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for a great review! I saw your avatar, Taki, and had to find out what pen that was.

I am in love with this beautiful pen--I think my Sheaffer tuckaways need a Japanese friend!

Has anyone else had any luck in finding this color or getting one in the US? I saw a few other colors on nibs.com, but not this one. I can't seem to find any way to communicate with the vendors through the Japanese website in Taki's first post, either.

• 4 weeks later...

I am eyeing one Sailor Sapporo currently and just saw this special light blue version of it. A must-have for girl instead of the black-rhodium combination.

I sent an email to the vendor Morita (pen@morita.ne.jp) not sure if she'll reply.

At least the light-blue Pro Gear / Sapporo is still in stock according to the website.

Does MF means medium-fine? I was trying to figure out if I'd get the F or M nib. If MF means medium-fine, then I suppose it'd be just perfect. :roflmho:

I am eyeing one Sailor Sapporo currently and just saw this special light blue version of it. A must-have for girl instead of the black-rhodium combination.

I sent an email to the vendor Morita (pen@morita.ne.jp) not sure if she'll reply.

At least the light-blue Pro Gear / Sapporo is still in stock according to the website.

Does MF means medium-fine? I was trying to figure out if I'd get the F or M nib. If MF means medium-fine, then I suppose it'd be just perfect. :roflmho:

Update us when you hear back from them. It is a lovely color. I eventually bought the black/rhodium as well because a girl just can't have too many of these pens. Well, I can't. :) I do wish they'd allow distribution of some color other than black in the US. Especially with mini pens like this that are so comfy in smallish hands.

The only problem with falling in love with these pens is that now I wish I had some vintage Japanese minis as well. They really appeal to the girly part of me that I generally try to suppress. :)

OTOH, I guess it's a good thing they don't sell more colors here - my pen budget is $0.00 for a while.

oh but I'd love to see the bright 1911 colors on these pens. And maybe a pastel pink. and an ivory. and oooooh - lavender.

KCat - hurriedly stuffing that girly-girl kitty back into her cage.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I do wish they'd allow distribution of some color other than black in the US. Especially with mini pens like this that are so comfy in smallish hands.

You probably don't want to see this page, then, do you? :thumbup:

OHHH MAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!

You are cruel! I want the yellow. And the dark blue. And the red.

edit: Really, now I'm just thinking about how I can justify the yellow one. I can't. I wanted the 1911M yellow for a long time but came away from it because it was too big for me anyway.

Are these going to be standard here? I guess I should ask the sellers, eh? If so then I can feel a little more secure in the fact that I simply can't buy any pens right now.

I agree with the good folk at nibs.com - these are some of the best nibs made!

(whimper)

Edited by KCat

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I do wish they'd allow distribution of some color other than black in the US. Especially with mini pens like this that are so comfy in smallish hands.

OHHH MAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!

The dark blue has a purplish-cast to it in 'real life'--it's really very lovely, especially with the silver trim!

Edited by chibimie

The dark blue has a purplish-cast to it in 'real life'--it's really very lovely, especially with the silver trim!

Gee, thanks. That helps a lot. :rolleyes:

KCat

My email to Morita has not been responded yet. I guess they don't really read English emails?

Anyway, I got my contact in Japan to order the pen for me and I am also organising a group buy from Morita for Australia as I live in Sydney. Up till now, Nikko from Melbourne joined me and I'll wait till tomorrow to see if any one else is interested.

I've let the contact to check with Morita today to see if the pens & the nib sizes are in stock.

Hopefully things sort out smoothly. :bunny01:

Update us when you hear back from them. It is a lovely color. I eventually bought the black/rhodium as well because a girl just can't have too many of these pens. Well, I can't. :) I do wish they'd allow distribution of some color other than black in the US. Especially with mini pens like this that are so comfy in smallish hands.

The only problem with falling in love with these pens is that now I wish I had some vintage Japanese minis as well. They really appeal to the girly part of me that I generally try to suppress. :)

OTOH, I guess it's a good thing they don't sell more colors here - my pen budget is $0.00 for a while.

oh but I'd love to see the bright 1911 colors on these pens. And maybe a pastel pink. and an ivory. and oooooh - lavender.

KCat - hurriedly stuffing that girly-girl kitty back into her cage.

To me, personally I think the shape of Sapporo Mini is kinda weird with such a long cap and not proportionable short body (at least when capped, when posted it looks normal). Pro Gear is too fat for me to use so Sapporo just looks perfect.

The Morita Original Sapporo does have MF nib, which works for me who canot decide between F and M.

I wouldn't want them to make more color options for Sapporo if I can get hold of the Morita one. :headsmack:

OHHH MAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!

edit: Really, now I'm just thinking about how I can justify the yellow one. I can't. I wanted the 1911M yellow for a long time but came away from it because it was too big for me anyway.

Are these going to be standard here? I guess I should ask the sellers, eh? If so then I can feel a little more secure in the fact that I simply can't buy any pens right now.

I agree with the good folk at nibs.com - these are some of the best nibs made!

(whimper)

Agree with one of the reviewers that Sapporo Mini somehow does look like a little fountain pen escaped from the Frankenstein lab. :blush:

still kinda cute!

You know, it doesn't look that "weird" when you post the cap. I usually don't post cap with regular length pens but I do with this since this pen is meant to be used posted.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0091.jpg

In Japan I heard a store called ACT Creater Box has at least a few original colors, including orange with gold trim :crybaby:

You know, it doesn't look that "weird" when you post the cap. I usually don't post cap with regular length pens but I do with this since this pen is meant to be used posted.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0091.jpg

In Japan I heard a store called ACT Creater Box has at least a few original colors, including orange with gold trim :crybaby:

Yeah, when posted it looks nicer. And the light blue color really suits the small sized pen like Sapporo Mini.

Wow, more news, they even make orange color Sapporo Mini....sadly enough we don't even have a chance to have a look at it.

I googled "ACT Creater Box" nothing came up. :unsure:

Yep - the Ujuku site is looking good!

Here is my Pro Gear collection so far... the Morita is coming soon... :)

I took the Yellow Mini to work earlier this week, and a sort-of-interested-in-pens colleague noticed it right away, and christened it the Bumblebee. ;)

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/photos/sailor/ProGears-01.jpg

Big thanks go to chibimie, who helped me acquire the Bumblebee. :D

Edited by Phthalo

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

• 3 weeks later...

The little pen would make a great pocket pen and with the thread on posting makes it practical for those of us who like a pen a bit bigger when writing...

Hmmmmm.....

That dark blue is sweet....

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit: