The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook Cutaway

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ZeissIkon

ZeissIkon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 22:49

As I recall it, an SJ is exactly what you describe: almost identical diameter to a J, just shorter (while the LJ is the same length as the SJ, but skinnier). And with the barrel the same diameter, I don't know why an SJ wouldn't have a sac support, same as a J.
Does not always write loving messages.
Does not always foot up columns correctly.
Does not always sign big checks.

Sponsored Content

#22 Enai

Enai

Boo!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 00:48

As I recall it, an SJ is exactly what you describe: almost identical diameter to a J, just shorter (while the LJ is the same length as the SJ, but skinnier). And with the barrel the same diameter, I don't know why an SJ wouldn't have a sac support, same as a J.

Zeiss, SJ and LJ are the same diameter. LJ is about the same length as a J; SJ is shorter.

Thing is, looking at my J's, they don't have consistent lengths--one J can be a tad shorter than another J.

Edited by Enai, 07 February 2010 - 00:50.

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark
"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick
"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?
I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

#23 David V

David V

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 19:29

Thing is, looking at my J's, they don't have consistent lengths--one J can be a tad shorter than another J.

:blink: Well if that don't buy the farm...

I knew the barrels of the SJ's and LJ's were skinnier, that's why the cap jewels are the same as the barrel jewels. I never knew about the inconsistency.

#24 David V

David V

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 19:39

Hmm- I called it an SJ because it's a little shorter than my J, but bigger than my LJ. I just called it based on the pics on esterbrook.net. What I removed looked a lot like the support in my J. What I dug out was hard, clear plastic. Like I said, it looked like glue to me, but it was more regular and clear than glue. Also, I was never able to remove the whole thing- its base won't budge. So what would be shorter than a J, but the same girth?

Sorry, no pics- can't find my camera at the moment.

Thanks!
F

Deffinitely get pictures when you can. I wonder, can you fit a very small xacto kife down to the remaining piece to cut it out? You have to be very careful, of course, but a good sharp hobby knife may just be the thing to get that piece out. Then you can address the question of whether to replace the shelf or get a bigger sac. The shelf was there to make the filling system more reliable, so if you can get one from Farm Boy, perhaps, it might be the better way to go.

#25 dbncoloured

dbncoloured

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 13:31

I came across this demonstrator as part of a batch of stock from a store shutting down - it clearly shows the workings of the lever and the sac is still pliable / working.

The only other reference is a different model of esterbrook fountain pen a J model i suspect (any help in identifying would be appreciated). There is a link on this website but the pen i have is slightly different - will upload photos on here.

Link is here https://www.badgeran...m-miami.356234/

regards 

Attached Images

• thumb_IMG_8863_1024.jpg
  • thumb_IMG_8862_1024.jpg
  • thumb_IMG_8861_1024.jpg
  • thumb_IMG_8860_1024.jpg

Edited by dbncoloured, 13 August 2017 - 13:36.

Sponsored Content

|