The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook Cutaway

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:24

Again, I'll start by saying no pens were harmed that were repairable. (A 51 Vac filler underwent this treatment last week and can be found in the Parker forum.)

This J came to me for repair--the pen got into a fight with a car door and lost resulting in a crushed and cracked barrel. Not being willing to dispose of the barrel, it went into the parts bin and was forgotten. Yesterday, the barrel followed me into the machine shop and a short while later we had a cutaway version showing the assembly of the inside components.

This pen is fully functional and would write should one choose to do so. The sac is an original with ESTERBROOK stenciled very lightly on the surface.
Esterbrook_A.JPG

The same pen with the sac depressed ready for a slurp of ink.

Esterbrook_B.JPG

Enjoy

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sponsored Content

#2 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2007 - 15:14

Very nice. Not too far off what the factory did with cutaway demos. That might be a cool pen to take to work. Sure would be a great conversation starter!

Thanks for sharing-
Brian
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#3 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2007 - 17:25

Nice........

It would be nice to possibly add to penpedia (Quicksilver jump in here) to show how the pen looks and works!!
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.
Frank Herbert, Dune
US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

#4 kudzu

kudzu

Having a ball!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:37

I saw Farmboy's pen at the Pan Pacific Pen Club mtg today, and since I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of pens before I attempt any repairs myself, his cutaway pen really helped. Thanks, Todd, for the hands-on look at your cutaway Estie and for your pen repair tutorial after the mtg.

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

#5 Jack7770

Jack7770

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:10

Thanks for the photos. A closer look in the leverless pen sure enough showed the lever ring. Thanks for solving the problem for me (and others I suspect.)

#6 ntheo

ntheo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:24

Just a quick question,

The little plastic "tray" that holds the ink sac. That's something you modified or is that part of the original part.

Thanks.

#7 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,622 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:30

Hi,

The tray is part of the original pen. Esterbrook put that in so that they could use the same sacs across their product line (Or that's what I was told.)

Dillon

Sheaffer Lady and Parker Falcon fs
Apple Macbook owners, please read!
HP/RPN fellowship

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#8 Gran

Gran

U. S. A.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:30

Thank you for the photo tour of the pen interior! Very interesting!
May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

#9 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:15

Very interesting - it all adds to our fountain pen education! Thanks smile.gif

#10 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,742 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 22:50

QUOTE (ntheo @ Mar 15 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a quick question,

The little plastic "tray" that holds the ink sac. That's something you modified or is that part of the original part.

Thanks.

Like Dillon indicated, the tray was Esterbrooks way of using the same sac in all the pens. The official name was a sac support. I even have a stash of them nos but I'm not sure why!

T
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#11 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2009 - 22:55

QUOTE (FarmBoy @ Mar 16 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like Dillon indicated, the tray was Esterbrooks way of using the same sac in all the pens. The official name was a sac support. I even have a stash of them nos but I'm not sure why!

T

I KNOW! I KNOW! PICK ME! PICK ME!

'cause you're a c-worder? What do I win?

roflmho.gif

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#12 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 5,621 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 23:07

Thanks Todd!!! this is Great!
-esp for those of us who don't have an engineer's xray sight ability:)

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#13 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,742 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 23:58

QUOTE (OcalaFlGuy @ Mar 16 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (FarmBoy @ Mar 16 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

T

I KNOW! I KNOW! PICK ME! PICK ME!

'cause you're a c-worder? What do I win?

roflmho.gif

Bruce in Ocala, FL

You are just jealous that you have yet to ACCUMULATE a bag of NOS Estie things you will never use. Did I tell you about the display case . . .

T

#14 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 16:05

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#15 fenriz

fenriz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:03

I was digging out the ossified sac in an old SJ and didn't know about the plastic tray until I'd already destroyed it and pulled it out in pieces. I didn't know what it was and worked hard to get it out... Thought it was glue or something. :headsmack: I can't tell you how stupid I feel. The other pens I've worked with didn't have a tray like that in them, so I just didn't know!

So when I replace the sac, will the pen still work without the tray?

#16 Readymade

Readymade

.. the (ink) stains become a warning...

• Member - Gold

• 1,680 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:22

Great for showing to those new to fountain pens too :) Nice idea!
Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook
Writing without rhythm

#17 PaFitch

PaFitch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2010 - 00:01

I was digging out the ossified sac in an old SJ and didn't know about the plastic tray until I'd already destroyed it and pulled it out in pieces. I didn't know what it was and worked hard to get it out... Thought it was glue or something. :headsmack: I can't tell you how stupid I feel. The other pens I've worked with didn't have a tray like that in them, so I just didn't know!

So when I replace the sac, will the pen still work without the tray?

The sac support allowed J sized pens to use #16 ink sacs like the LJ & SJ. A larger size sac could be used (my transitional J didn't have the support and used about an 18 or 19 size sac.

But you may be able to find someone with an extra support--or, just buy some more Esterbrooks, including parts pens and find a support that way.

Just re read the thread and caught that you were talking about an SJ. I don't remember that my SJ's had supports.

Edited by PaFitch, 03 February 2010 - 00:02.

#18 David V

David V

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 18:51

They didn't. The tray was only in the full size J's to make up for the wider girth than the LJ and SJ. Fenriz, are you sure there was a tray in your pen? Are you sure it is an SJ? If there was a tray, it must be the larger standard J, but I wonder if what you saw was just part of the sac you were removing. Pictures of what you now have might also help.

#19 fenriz

fenriz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:42

Hmm- I called it an SJ because it's a little shorter than my J, but bigger than my LJ. I just called it based on the pics on esterbrook.net. What I removed looked a lot like the support in my J. What I dug out was hard, clear plastic. Like I said, it looked like glue to me, but it was more regular and clear than glue. Also, I was never able to remove the whole thing- its base won't budge. So what would be shorter than a J, but the same girth?

Sorry, no pics- can't find my camera at the moment.

Thanks!
F

#20 fenriz

fenriz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:49

forgot to say that the girth of the pen I thought was an SJ is the same as my J. So I guess it's a shorter J? That doesn't seem right. I am sure it wasn't part of the sac, it was clear.. actually looked like someone had already removed the sac, oddly enough. There was a chip or two of ossified rubber, but that was it. I'll see if I can post a pic or two.

Sponsored Content

|