Was at a MB boutique recently . . .

Centurion

and the experience was actually good!?!? I can recall in the past where the sales associates were utterly rude. Perhaps MB heard the complaints and decided to do something about it. I don't know how their customer service would be if I had a warranty problem, whether MB would truly stand behind their products or give us customers a hard time.

I checked out but didn't buy the MB 149 Diplomat. It was the display model that I wrote with in M and B. Pretty good, it was smooth (not ultra), flexible by modern standards, and a bit springy. It's a bit expensive at $575. I only used it for a few minutes. The sales associate said that the resin used is less prone to shatter than in the past. Any truth or experience regarding this? Did MB change the resin formula?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Centurion

• Roger

• Titivillus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why do I want the Diplomat??!! It's $575, and I think of many other pens to get at that price range. I already have two Etruria 991s and an OMAS Vision, that's the extent of my premium pens. What am I am going to do with a fourth? I don't take them out of the house because I would stress over them too much, as in somebody who doesn't know FPs might use them and damage the nib. If I were to get another premium pen I was originally thinking the Edson at $400. The Diplomat is all right looking. I wouldn't get the Le Grand (146) and definitely not the 144. Am I caught up in the Montblanc name and their renewed sales force telling me they make their own nibs and their fancy accessories? It's true, if I was assigned the task of buying a client a FP and it wasn't my money, I would choose the MB Diplomat, because the name and pen is so recognizable, sort of like the Rolex watch of FPs.

Right now, my everyday FP is either a Namiki Falcon or the Namiki VP. The VP is cool to have around with the click to use mechanism, the Falcon is a nice writer and pretty durable, although a bit plain looking. I was thinking of getting the Lamy Studio Paladdium as another everyday pen. Maybe I should just use one of my so called premium pens as an everyday pen and if something happens just get it repaired. In a sense what good is in having a nice premium pen if I don't use it. I don't know, just sounding off. :bonk:

Maybe I should just use one of my so called premium pens as an everyday pen and if something happens just get it repaired.  In a sense what good is in having a nice premium pen if I don't use it.  I don't know, just sounding off.

Absolutely! Life is too short not to enjoy what your labors have allowed you to acquire. :) If they depreciate somewhat because of use, who cares! Investments, they're not. Use 'em and love 'em :D

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Why do I want the Diplomat??!! It's $575, and I think of many other pens to get at that price range. I already have two Etruria 991s and an OMAS Vision, that's the extent of my premium pens. What am I am going to do with a fourth? I don't take them out of the house because I would stress over them too much, as in somebody who doesn't know FPs might use them and damage the nib. If I were to get another premium pen I was originally thinking the Edson at $400. The Diplomat is all right looking. I wouldn't get the Le Grand (146) and definitely not the 144. Am I caught up in the Montblanc name and their renewed sales force telling me they make their own nibs and their fancy accessories? It's true, if I was assigned the task of buying a client a FP and it wasn't my money, I would choose the MB Diplomat, because the name and pen is so recognizable, sort of like the Rolex watch of FPs.

Right now, my everyday FP is either a Namiki Falcon or the Namiki VP. The VP is cool to have around with the click to use mechanism, the Falcon is a nice writer and pretty durable, although a bit plain looking. I was thinking of getting the Lamy Studio Paladdium as another everyday pen. Maybe I should just use one of my so called premium pens as an everyday pen and if something happens just get it repaired. In a sense what good is in having a nice premium pen if I don't use it. I don't know, just sounding off. :bonk:

I got my Diplomat for less than $250 off the green board and use it often.

I have yet to pay MSRP on any pen that I own but I do have several of the mid-high premiums: Delta Nazareth, 149, Churchill, Dani Hana Nuri. None of which I paid more than 50% of value.

If you buy a pen and don't use it what good is it????? Unless it's part of a collection but I am a pen user so if I buy a pen it is going to be inked!

Kurt H

Roger and Kurt, oh I do ink and use them, but at home there's really no need to use any type of writing instrument, except for the occasional check or letter that I write. My dilemma is whether I should take those nice pens of mine outside and to the workplace. :-)

So Kurt what do you think of the Diplomat? Since I am more of a modern pen person, if I get any MB FP it would be the Diplomat. I've been intrigued by many of MB's Limited Editions, but while they look great sometimes they aren't balanced for good writing use. I saw the Cervantes LE, a pretty pen made from a brown/bronze lacquer, but can we really consider 15,000 a limited run?? Technicially yes, but wow 15,000. I know the Stipula Etruria 991 is limited to 991 pens. I would think that most LEs are limited to about a 1000.

Hi Centurion,

I have on average 20 pens or more with me at work, all inked up, and most of them are in the more expensive pen range. I carry 10 or more Etrurias with me, 2 Edsons, a Duofold, a VP, a few Pelikans, a Pilot, a few other Watermans, a Dupont, and often, in a second pen case, a bunch of cheaper pens, like Lamy Safaris, Waterman Allure, Kultur and a few others.

I use most of them during a working day. With all the different ink colours, it brightens up any meeting... :lol:

Regarding the quantity of LEs: that varies with the model. Many LEs are much lower in numbers. Some people argue that anything made in a series with more than 100 pens is not an LE. And many are even less in number, even with pens like, e.g., the Etrurias. An example is the Etruria Demonstrator from Swisher. That comes in a series of 50 only. And I think of the Etruria Amalfi only 25 were made...

MB is good at marketing, and gets away with as many pens as they can, especially in the writer's series. There is no limit on the number per se, just on the year that it is produced in. Of the Agatha Christie more than 15000 were sold (I can be mistaken, it could be 25000 too, not sure now; I'll ask..).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

My dilemma is whether I should take those nice pens of mine outside and to the workplace.  :-)

My answer to that, as well, is YES! :D

The chances are that you do more writing at your workplace than at home, so it becomes, again, a case of using your pens in a useful and enjoyable way. Might their use in the workplace make that workplace a bit more enjoyable? :)

Lastly, is there a pen person out there that doesn't wish to show off our instruments? Don't we revel, at least a little, when we attract the admiring or questioning glances from our peers when we break out that attractive FP?

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Hi Roger,

Lastly, is there a pen person out there that doesn't wish to show off our instruments? Don't we revel, at least a little, when we attract the admiring or questioning glances from our peers when we break out that attractive FP?
Well, yes, if I may answer that :lol:. Especially, when you pull out one after the other, all with different, colourful inks, and different nibs :lol:.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Centurion,

The 149 was my first "expensive" purchase. I purchased the 75th Anniversary Special edition which I did a review on. Take a look at it here

In my pen rotation, usually 5-6 pens inked at one time, the 149 has remained inked since day 1. Right now I have it inked up with Noodler's Legal Lapis. You can't go wrong with this pen, I'd definitely recommend it!

As for using expensive pens outside of the home, I too had problems with this at first which I address in my review. I don't let other people use my expensive pens; instead I always keep a Sheaffer Javelin, Lamy 2000, or Sensa ballpoint handy to borrow out if needed.

I dropped 2 pens in all the years I have enjoyed fountain pens (now going on 7 years!); once at home and once at work. Sure the nibs are expensive to replace, but in all reality, it's just not going to happen that often is ever. Don't worry, keep your pen in you pocket at all times and enjoy them. Though I agree that an expensive pen doesn’t necessarily write better then a less expensive pen, they are very enjoyable to use and should be used, IMHO, whenever and wherever possible.

This week I have my 149, Visconti Opera, Danitrio Wakasa Nuri, Conway Stewart Elegance Deco Diamonds LE, Conway Stewart Steinway LE, ST Dupont Andalusia LE, and Lamy 2000 all inked up and securely placed in my Venlo Pontifino (I did a review on this also, right here) carrying case (The Lamy 2000 stays my my shirt pocket) which I place in my backpack to take to school. In all, that's roughly close to $5,000 in pens I'm carrying around. Now I know that there are many more expensive pens out there that cost more then my entire collection, but to me this is a lot of money, however my philosophy on acquiring objects is, “If you can't afford to loose it, you really can't afford to buy it!”

So get those 991s and take them with you to work or where ever. They'll be alright, you'll be able to take care of them just fine and then you won't have to miss out on getting full use out of them. :D

Take Care,

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

So Kurt what do you think of the Diplomat?  Since I am more of a modern pen person, if I get any MB FP it would be the Diplomat.  I've been intrigued by many of MB's Limited Editions, but while they look great sometimes they aren't balanced for good writing use.

The 149 is a nice big pen. Good size and well balanced. Like I have said elsewhere MB does make some nice pens, it's their snob marketing that gets up my nose :lol: If you're interested in a MB 149 with a medium nib give me a backchannel maybe we can do business:rolleyes:

I saw the Cervantes LE, a pretty pen made from a brown/bronze lacquer, but can we really consider 15,000 a limited run??  Technicially yes, but wow 15,000.  I know the Stipula Etruria 991 is limited to 991 pens.  I would think that most LEs are limited to about a 1000.

I guess in truth as long as there is an agreed upon number starting out then you could have a 1,000,000 numbered series! I think my button filler Churchill is 1 of 300 and my Nazareth is one of 1830. Most MB LEs are in the tens of thousands and other manufacturers are of an order of magnatude less. There are some companys that do intentionally limit the number of pens to a signifigant number in reference to what the pen is honoring- Delta does this alot while other companies just pick a round number probably based on economics more than anything.

Kurt H

Ok everybody, I am going to have to ease into this. I have 2 991s after all, so if one has to go into repair then I would have another to use. I do like it when people are exposed to the FP world, and maybe convert them into it.

By the way, when I bought my second 991 the warranty was hand filled out with the correct number pen, but the warranty booklet is printed with another number. It seems as if Susanna's company mixed up the booklets. I am not worried about warranty serive, but I am concerned about resale price. If I sold the pen, would it be reduced just because the warranty booklet isn't printed with the correct pen number while the warranty is filled out correctly.

Bryan, any info on the resin MB uses, whether or not it is now more durable and less likely to shatter? The 149 did fit well with my hands. The other pen I am thinking of is the Pelikan M1000, similar size and I suppose a direct competitor to the 149. If I get the M1000, not sure if I want to go all black or the green stripe one. Both look just as good to me. Never used the M1000, although I do have a M805. Since I do have a Pelikan, very tempted to get the Rolex of pens, a Montblanc! Not sure what MB did, perhaps require all associates to go through training, but the sales people are definitely more personable and knowledgeable. Oh in the past, I was afraid of going in, and stepping in you would get the "look." Perhaps in the past, the sales force was all on commission so if they thought you weren't MB material they would ignore you or just be plain rude and didn't worry about repercussions.

Bryan, any info on the resin MB uses, whether or not it is now more durable and less likely to shatter?  The 149 did fit well with my hands.  The other pen I am thinking of is the Pelikan M1000, similar size and I suppose a direct competitor to the 149.  If I get the  M1000, not sure if I want to go all black or the green stripe one.  Both look just as good to me.  Never used the M1000, although I do have a M805.  Since I do have a Pelikan, very tempted to get the Rolex of pens, a Montblanc!  Not sure what MB did, perhaps require all associates to go through training, but the sales people are definitely more personable and knowledgeable.  Oh in the past, I was afraid of going in, and stepping in you would get the "look."  Perhaps in the past, the sales force was all on commission so if they thought you weren't MB material they would ignore you or just be plain rude and didn't worry about repercussions.

To my knowledge, and please don't quote me as any expert, the problem in the resin was short lived and was mainly a concern with the 144, smaller pens. I do not believe the 149 has ever had this problem, though I do know that many would have liked to see the 149 retain it's celluloid construction from past years. But hey, if you really want a celluloid body for the pen, buy vintage or give Rossi a call, he does splendid work with the 149! :lol:

As for a comparison between the M1000 and 149, I owned a M1000 and IMHO it didn't even begin to compare with the 149 in style or writing. Had a M805 also, but ended up selling it too due to performance problems. I don't own any Pelikans at the moment, the last couple of Pelikans I bought just left a bad taste in my mouth, though I did like the feel of their all brass construction piston fillers. They were quite a bit smoother then that of the MB.

Bryan

post-4-1126484192_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bryan
http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Hi Roger,
Well, yes, if I may answer that :lol:. Especially, when you pull out one after the other, all with different, colourful inks, and different nibs :lol:.

Of course you may answer that, Wim, but don't forget that you are a bit of phenom in the boardroom. :rolleyes: "Flamboyant" might be too tame a word. :lol: As said, I'd give a lot to be a fly on the wall when you get into your act! But, I guess that your co-workers have become used to it by now.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Just one more, my favorite pen of Rossi:

I like this one the best so far. So what does Rossi do, you send him/her your ordinary MB and s/he turns into a unique creation? Or you buy directly one of the creations?

Just one more, my favorite pen of Rossi:

I like this one the best so far. So what does Rossi do, you send him/her your ordinary MB and s/he turns into a unique creation? Or you buy directly one of the creations?

I think you send him a pen and he creates a binde for it. He also does incredible overlays as well!

Kurt H

Hi Rog,

Of course you may answer that, Wim, but don't forget that you are a bit of phenom in the boardroom. :rolleyes: "Flamboyant" might be too tame a word. :lol:
:lol: Tamed down a bit, lately, on request :lol:. The past year we were trying to reach specific results, as in, get things done by such and such a date. Usually, way too late to act on things. Even so, with the aid of the team, and my bulldog antics, we managed regardless :D. But now we're trying to professionalize the achievements of the past year. Which means I don't run along the corridors anymore, just walk slowly... Shame really... :lol:
As said, I'd give a lot to be a fly on the wall when you get into your act! But, I guess that your co-workers have become used to it by now.
My immediate co-workers, yes, and I converted many of them to fountain pens along the way. My boss started with zero fps, now has three and uses all of them, each with a different colour of ink :lol:. I have converted two who said they'd never ever use a fountain pen, too :lol:.

Great fun. And so are all the meetings using many pens :lol:.

Warm regards, the Mad One :lol:

the Mad Dutchman

Lookit all the smilies in Wim's post... Bet you talk with your hands too!

The meetings must be a hoot with everyone flourishing a FP and flashing flamboyant colours. I get a giggle just thinking about them.

Cheers

Gerry

Hi Centurion,

I have on average 20 pens or more with me at work, all inked up, and most of them are in the more expensive pen range. I carry 10 or more Etrurias with me, 2 Edsons, a Duofold, a VP, a few Pelikans, a Pilot, a few other Watermans, a Dupont, and often, in a second pen case, a bunch of cheaper pens, like Lamy Safaris, Waterman Allure, Kultur and a few others.

I use most of them during a working day. With all the different ink colours, it brightens up any meeting... :lol:

Regarding the quantity of LEs: that varies with the model. Many LEs are much lower in numbers. Some people argue that anything made in a series with more than 100 pens is not an LE. And many are even less in number, even with pens like, e.g., the Etrurias. An example is the Etruria Demonstrator from Swisher. That comes in a series of 50 only. And I think of the Etruria Amalfi only 25 were made...

MB is good at marketing, and gets away with as many pens as they can, especially in the writer's series. There is no limit on the number per se, just on the year that it is produced in. Of the Agatha Christie more than 15000 were sold (I can be mistaken, it could be 25000 too, not sure now; I'll ask..).

Warm regards, Wim

Hi Wim, do you leave them there at work? It's more convenient for me to leave my Falcon and VP at work, but I wouldn't hurt too much if they were stolen. However, if one of my 991 got stolen . . . How many pens do you carry around daily, for example, if you were to go to the supermarket?