Pilot/Namiki vs Sailor vs Platinum

mafiablues

Hi,

I am about going to by my first "expensive" pen (USD 100-150), and my choice is going to be a japanese pen, as I have heard and read all over the web about their quality, balance and the smoothness of their nib.

In your opinion, which one of theses 3 big: Pilot, Sailor, Platinum produce best pen ?

I especially hesitate between a Sailor Profit Standard (aka 1911M) and a Pilot Custom 74 (no sold in western countries as far as I know).

I cannot try them, they are not sold where I live.

Both have 14k nibs, the Custom 74 is slightly bigger than the 1911M.

Please help me :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• mafiablues

• soesano

• imnotaniceboy

like askin' me to choose between cheesecake, brownies, or Key lime pie!

sorry - really have no way to compare these. I've heard nothing but good about all three. I might say - choose based on which one aesthetically appeals to you the most because in terms of quality I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

the 1911M remains at the top of my list. In fact, hubby keeps joking about me earning a new pen by prepping the house for sale... he better stop joking or I'm gonna take him up on it and get the 1911M in Yeller.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I've got a 1911M (the demonstatrator, with a music nib. Though I want to get another with a F or EF, as I'm finding that I strongly prefer finer points), and I adore it.

It feels good in my hand, is begging to become an ED (has anyone tried that yet? It's even got a little rubber ring where the section and body screw together!), and looks wonderful. People always want to play with it.

I don't have any Platinum pens yet, and while I've got two Pilots, neither are the Custom 74 (I have a Murex that is my pride and joy, and a VP that's getting a workout because I can't seem to put it down for long. My other pens are getting jealous.)

Edited to add:

Umm.. wait. Make that three Pilots. I have a Namiki Falcon, too. Which is still a Pilot.

(I have a Sailor Profit brush pen and the calligraphy pen, too, but those aren't even close to the 1911M.)

Edited by roisnoir

My vote is:

1. Namiki

2. Sailor

3. Platinum

Namiki has best esthetics, and nibs.

Sailor has great nibs, but plainer Janes

Platinum.... hmmm... Platinum has good nibs too. Wait platinum is Nakaya... Hmmm

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

You could get a Namiki Falcon which has some good nibs on it, or go with Sailor and get the option of the Zoom or Music nibs, the more variety to a nib the more fun ultimatly better expierence with a pen.

P.S. Pelikan is just as good "quality, balance and the smoothness of their nib." If you want to venture over there, plus customized nibs come very easily.

Good Luck in your first big pen purchase.

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

Hi,

They all have different characteristics. Get one of each and try them out.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

sorry - really have no way to compare these.  I've heard nothing but good about all three.  I might say - choose based on which one aesthetically appeals to you the most because in terms of quality I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

the 1911M remains at the top of my list.  In fact, hubby keeps joking about me earning a new pen by prepping the house for sale...  he better stop joking or I'm gonna take him up on it and get the 1911M in Yeller.

Easy - Key Lime Pie, Brownies and then - if I can still stuff something else down...cheesecake. Now if you had mixed in Lemon Meringue Pie, I would have had a real problem...

Gerry

Of the three that you mentioned, I have heard a lot of great things about Sailor and Platinum. However, my favorite Japanese fountain pen maker is Nakaya and they can be found here: http://www.nakaya.org/eindex.html

They are one of the most friendly pen companies my friends have ever dealt with and I can think of a few of their pens I would love to have.

Good luck! :)

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

I prefer french patisseries :P

Sailor has great nibs, but plainer Janes

what does it mean ?

Get one of each and try them out.

It is be the best idea if I had more $$ :D

choose based on which one aesthetically appeals to you

the problem is... all look like the same, cigar-shaped.

Thank you for your advise... but it doesn't help me to decide :)

Is there anyone who tried the Custom 74 or another Custom pen ?

Edited by mafiablues

I prefer french patisseries :P

choose based on which one aesthetically appeals to you

the problem is... all look like the same, cigar-shaped.

Thank you for your advise... but it doesn't help me to decide :)

Is there anyone who tried the Custom 74 or another Custom pen ?

well... i'm just a boring American with simple tastes...

true re: the shape of these pens for the most part. I suppose, based solely on my experience with the VP, if I did not already have three Namiki pens, I'd choose a Namiki.

since I do have those, then Sailor is next on my list of Japanese pens that appeal to me. The Dani Trios are all very nice - but either very large or just too durned pricey for me.

"plainer Janes" - not as embellished as the others.

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Yeah, I'd go with No Snow's advice. ;)

I have 2 14k nibs - one on a Mosaic and one on a jade Magellan, both in Medium Fine. Both excelllllllllllllent. My other modern Sailors are fitted with 21k nibs - which are just a touch springier than the 14k, and that's probably due to its larger size.

I have always (meaning, since I was exposed to japanese pens) been under the impression that Sailor is not as popular as the other two, probably because they weren't as innovative or daring in their designs (apart from the trident, I suppose). But that's B) with me. I usually like to support the underdog anyway.

Not sure if any of this helps.

G.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

• 2 weeks later...

Platinum stainless armor, below half price now at platinumpenstore.com until 21-Sep-2005 midnight. I picked up one when they had this promotion in May, and I'm very happy with it. Extremely smooth 14k white gold nib, excellent writer. :D

• 5 years later...

I would recommend all three

get the higher makie range for pilot

pro gear for sailor

and higher range maki-e for platinum

• 2 months later...

but which one is more flex? I already own a namiki falcon, and im willing to buy a sailor if I get more variable lines with it.

AFAIK the only way to get a flex nib in a Sailor pen is to have it custom ground by a nibmeister. Even then, some of the nibs (eg the 1911 mid-size) are not long enough to be made very flexible (according to advice provided to me by one of the nibmeisters).

I've got two Sailor 1911s (one large F, one medium/standard M) and a Namiki 912 Custom Heritage with Falcon nib and I prefer the Saiors. Namiki may have more variations in styles, but I really like the classic look of the Sailors.

Quality wise I would say the fit and finish is virtually the same, but I too like little things like an o-ring on the nib to seal it against the body.

For flex, the Namikis are your best bet (IMO). The Falcon nib is highly flexible, and they offer many nibs in a "soft" option (Soft Fine). Sailor nibs are rock hard, no flex.

Hope this was some help to you.

I have little experience with japanese pens - I only have a Pilot custom 742 and a Sailor Sapporo.

The Pilot's nib is much better. But I see the same models differ in quality so much that this is

not much to go on. So I'm reading this thread to learn also...

I have little experience with japanese pens - I only have a Pilot custom 742 and a Sailor Sapporo.

The Pilot's nib is much better. But I see the same models differ in quality so much that this is

not much to go on. So I'm reading this thread to learn also...

Some of these old threads are very helpful. I'd differ with your comment on quality variation. I've got a number of Japanese pens with Pilot, Sailor & Platinums all represented. I've not run into any quality issues with any of the brands. Each company's products have their own character but, overall, I'd describe the three brands as consistently exceptional in regard to quality and performance.