The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Concord Cross

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 zenpen

zenpen

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 19:00

Just got a very cool pen in the mail today. A Sailor Concord Cross nib on a standard large black 1911 body.

Could be the ultimate dual purpose nib. Writing normally, its a medium-fine line, inverted it's a wonderfully wet medum Fine to BBB.

I really like this pen! thumbup.gif

Inverted, it writes like a Togi, where the writing width varies depending on the angle you hold the pen. Inverted, it writes from a Medium-fine at a not too high 70 degree writing angle to a BBB (2 mm) reversed-stub at 45 degrees.

Joe Camosy

Joe Camosy

Sponsored Content

#2 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2007 - 19:44

Finally, a special Sailor nib that is more versatile than a standard Togi. thumbup.gif

#3 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2007 - 19:57

Wicked!!!!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#4 PelikanPenman

PelikanPenman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 20:13

Thanks for sharing the photos. They really bring the nib to life. Cheers.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
Winston Churchill

#5 Sciopod

Sciopod

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 21:24

That looks like a seriously cool nib. Please keep us updated as to how you get on with it. Oh, and great photos by the way.
Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

#6 alpha1

alpha1

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:24

QUOTE(zenpen @ Sep 23 2007, 12:30 AM)  
Just got a very cool pen in the mail today. A Sailor Concord Cross nib on a standard large black 1911 body.

Could be the ultimate dual purpose nib. Writing normally, its a medium-fine line, inverted it's a wonderfully wet medum Fine to BBB.

I really like this pen! thumbup.gif

Inverted, it writes like a Togi, where the writing width varies depending on the angle you hold the pen. Inverted, it writes from a Medium-fine at a not too high 70 degree writing angle to a BBB (2 mm) reversed-stub at 45 degrees.

Joe Camosy

Joe Camosy

This one looks like a cobra ready for strike!

#7 fjf

fjf

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:28

Nice!!. If they only made a piston filler as good as their nibs!.

#8 sam

sam

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 13:21

great close ups of the nib!
thx for the pics.

#9 LDF

LDF

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 13:25

Nice nib. Where did you get it, and how much?

#10 andyk

andyk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2007 - 16:51

Great looking nib, also very versatile from writing, fine to write a letter and nice and broad for a bold signature, (anyone else notice the resemblance from some angles to a Klingon warbird about to strike)

#11 zenpen

zenpen

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 18:13

Sam,

Aquired the pen on ebay from Taizo O. (aka Japan_antique) . I've never seen this type of nib before so it has to be pretty new. Heck, I might even be the first person in the USA to get one?

Taizo states "The production of the fountain pen of SAILOR is very little. " So this nib is a pretty rare bird right now. It's anybody's guess when the next one will make its appearance.

Here was the auction, so you can get an idea of what one might go for, if and when another one might make an appearance on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...mp;sspagename=A

Joe Camosy

#12 AndyHayes

AndyHayes

Too Many Pens

• Member - Gold

• 1,536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2007 - 20:11

No, that's just strange!!

#13 Shelley

Shelley

iPen

• Member - Gold

• 1,515 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 22:23

Wicked nib-almost enough to make me want another pen...but I have another already picked out-and its italian, but this is damn fine!!
Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

#14 RLTodd

RLTodd

Thor's Legions

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:32

I assume it was designed for some purpose but I can't figure out what it is? It has to be more than just a turn over and write a different size on the back of the nib as various pen companys have been doing that for decades with a simple grind. AIR, Richard Binder offers it as a service at the present time. SO, why the complicated designe? What was it really designed for?

YMMV

#15 Sciopod

Sciopod

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 18:14

QUOTE(RLTodd @ Sep 24 2007, 06:32 AM)  
I assume it was designed for some purpose but I can't figure out what it is? It has to be more than just a turn over and write a different size on the back of the nib as various pen companys have been doing that for decades with a simple grind. AIR, Richard Binder offers it as a service at the present time. SO, why the complicated designe? What was it really designed for?

The Sailor cross nib is effectively two nibs stuck together, one on top of the other. The divide between the two nibs forms the horizontal of the "cross", the tines the vertical. This design produces incredibly wet ink flow, unlike any other nib I've experienced. It also produces a huge sweet spot, delivering a very smooth writing experience. Finally, it obviously makes for a very broad nib, with the line varying according to the angle the pen is held at.

The original cross nib (which I have) produces a line varying between (I'd guess) broad and XXXbroad, according to angle of attack, when held the right way round. When inverted it produces a very fine (but for Sailor rather scratchy) line. I don't find it comfortable to use inverted for long stretches.

I love my cross nib dearly, and use it every day. but I'd be the first to admit that its not going to be practical for everyone. It's very wet, and very broad, so you need big handwriting (and a big ink budget - if this pen were a car it would win the friends of OPEC award).

This new version seems much more practical. Held the right way up you should get a super smooth wet medium fine line, inverting and you're back to the traditional cross nib. In other words, you should get a range of widths from medium fine through to XXXbroad in one nib. I'd love to try it out.

I imagine the cross nib (like many of Sailor's speciality nib designs) was primarily designed for writing Japanese calligraphy, where you need the ability to vary line widths extensively (I imagine). However, its qualities should also appeal to the rest of us as well.

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit

#16 RLTodd

RLTodd

Thor's Legions

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2007 - 18:42

QUOTE(Sciopod @ Sep 25 2007, 11:14 AM)  
QUOTE(RLTodd @ Sep 24 2007, 06:32 AM)  

I imagine the cross nib (like many of Sailor's speciality nib designs) was primarily designed for writing Japanese calligraphy, where you need the ability to vary line widths extensively (I imagine). ......

Hmmm, that makes sense. I couldn't see any reason for it to exist for writing 'anglishy' script...
YMMV

#17 zenpen

zenpen

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 15:49

Perhaps not so rare after all.

ebay 170153523842

jc

#18 Blorgy

Blorgy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 16:18

I admire the nib, and I understand its appeal. If the tines became misaligned, I wonder what techniques could be used to realign them ?

#19 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:27

QUOTE(Blorgy @ Sep 27 2007, 06:18 PM)  
I admire the nib, and I understand its appeal. If the tines became misaligned, I wonder what techniques could be used to realign them ?

I think, the nibmeisters at Sailor back in Japan would do their miracles.
Obviously, these numerous tines are there for a good, wet flow of a signature pen. You know, da big contracts and such ...

#20 burmeseboyz

burmeseboyz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 20:41

Good luck trying to get that pen past airport security. That nib is made to kill. Wow beautiful. Congrats.
Everyman, I will go with thee
and be thy guide,
In thy most need to go
by thy side.

-Knowledge

Sponsored Content

|