Mont blanc worth it ?

Alostdream

Hi recently i start looking on ebay, and found some really cheap fountain pens, have any 1 boght any fountain pen on ebay? Any buying tips on ebay ?

I will hate to buy a fake one, it will just be a waste of time and money.

Also recently i start looking at mont blanc fountain pen. Did any one tired them, are they any good ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alostdream

• sleek_lover

• PaulK

• jd50ae

MB pens are to some people very good pens. My personal thought is that they are over priced and not all that well made.

Buying a MB on eBay is chancy at best, it is from what I have read here the most counterfeited of all FPs.

If you do a search there are a bunch of MB reviews on FPN.

But my likes and dislikes aside the best way to decide is to try before you buy.

Welcome to FPN......... :D

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

Hi thanks for your reply. I wish i could try a MB pen here in New Zealand. As in NZ is a very small country, there arent alot of pen shops around, and almost all pen shops dont allow their pen to be inked. It is very diffcult to get a MB tested.

I think MB makes wonderful pens but I agree they are overpriced.I recoment you go for the 149 or 146.

I own few MB's and they are all high quality great writers.

I wouldnt buy them on eBay since there are so many fakes out there.

Respect to all

Seems like you're new to fountain pens? I would suggest that you look at some Pelikan pens to start you off. They're well made, reliable pens that are reasonably priced. I think they'd serve you better than a Mont Blanc, at this point.

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

1) Any buying tips on ebay ?

2) Also recently i start looking at mont blanc fountain pen. Did any one tired them, are they any good ?

1) Unless you have a lot of extra money to spend, are absolutely are sure of what you are bidding on, or are bidding with a very reputable Seller don't bid on eBay! Spend a little more and buy from a brick and mortar store, from an on-line pen seller, or from someone here in the market place.

2) I have tried a dozen or so MB fountain pens and don't like them so I don't buy them (except to resell them :rolleyes:). With the number of fakes and the way they perform (for me!) I would only buy one from someone I trusted where I could try it out first and return for service if needed. Which is good advise for anything you buy really.

Their "precious plastic" is quite brittle and prone to catastrophic fracture if dropped. Last time it cost me $70 to replace a cracked cap on my MB149 that fell off my desk onto hardwood floor.

Their marketing department is outstanding, having succeeded in branding their product in the luxury market.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

First, welcome to FPN. I hope you enjoy your time here.

I have found Pelikan and MontyB pens to be among the most dead on reliable pens that I own. I favor the larger sizes like the Pel M-1000 and M-800 and the MB 149 and 146. I have gotten a couple really good MB buys on the Bay, but I agree with the others that you have to know a little something about the pens to buy them in such a venue. If you are new to fountain pens, you might be wise to start your purchases with a Pelikan. If you decide to bid on the Bay, bring your concerns here to FPN and ask whether a pen seems genuine or not.

Good luck. I live in a fountain pen wasteland, too.

I own 16 Montblanc pens and the only reason I have ever purchased one was because I liked the way it looks or that it went with a collectors set I was working on such as MB's Writer's Series. The two tone nib with the platinum inlays are very nice aesthetically.

I purchased a MB Boheme this week along with a Delta Celluloid Papillon and a Lamy Al-star in Silvergreen. The Lamy writes better than any of my MB's. I haven't inked the Delta.

As you cannot try before you buy you are at a disadvantage. Don't let this dissuade you. You are doing the best thing by asking questions. Before I started reading this forum, I would have never even tried the Lamy, much less purchased one. The people here are wonderful and more than willing to answer any of your questions and you can be sure that they will give you honest opinions for genuine reasons. On that, you can make your decisions and will have few if any regrets.

As far as eBay is concerned, I have 9 years of experience on it. I can say that I have never been stung and have almost 400 positives feedbacks with 0 negatives. This is all personal transactions, not a business. And yes I have purchased several expensive MB's there. The real key is to read the sellers feedback and also LOOK at WHERE his feedback comes from.

The other day I was considering purchasing a pen from a seller with 169 positive and 0 negative feedbacks. As I looked deeper into his history, I found that most of his feedbacks came from him bidding on and winning 1 cent auctions that were only there to beef up the feedbacks of all concerned. Ebay needs to stop this practice, as without those activities this seller would not have had over 4 feedbacks and I would have never even considered making an expensive purchase from him. A casual glance said 169 positive feedbacks with 0 negs. A deeper look said 4 total viable positive feedbacks.

I have no hesitations about purchasing on Ebay, just look well into your goings!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

They are too expensive, and not as well designed as many other pens. What you get in an MB is aesthetics. They are the designer jeans of the pen world.

I have an MB 149 which I really enjoy. I like the way it looks, the way it feels, the way it writes. It is a good, reliable pen. I have other, "better" pens, but none of them do what the MB 149 does aesthetically.

If that aesthetic is worth it to you, then they are worth the money. But there is nothing about the pen as a writing instrument that justifies the cost.

Scott

I suggest buying one from either the marketplace on the fountain pen network or the pentrace green board. This way, you have a HELL of a lot moer chance of having a genuine pen. Also, you can have a previously inked one with no wear for a better price. This will limit the ''overpaid''amount for the pen.

Commit to be fit

ClaudeP.com

I suggest buying one from either the marketplace on the fountain pen network or the pentrace green board. This way, you have a HELL of a lot moer chance of having a genuine pen. Also, you can have a previously inked one with no wear for a better price. This will limit the ''overpaid''amount for the pen.

Amen.

I have a MB149 from 1994 that is an amazing writer but I wouldn't buy another one at full price.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Hi recently i start looking on ebay, and found some really cheap fountain pens, have any 1 boght any fountain pen on ebay? Any buying tips on ebay ?

I will hate to buy a fake one, it will just be a waste of time and money.

Also recently i start looking at mont blanc fountain pen. Did any one tired them, are they any good ?

I am afraid if you buy a Mont Blanc...which, roughly transliterated from its root language (Middle Avarice) means "empty the fool's pockets" your site name A LOST DREAM will become a reality. You will pay good money for, as has been pointed out by others, a very cheaply made pen. One of the best minds Frank Dubiel, opined that a Mont Blanc (or hollow hill) probably costs about $2 to $10 to make. The rest of the several hundred dollars you are going to spend goes to enhance "lifestyle"--although whose lifestyle is enhanced the ads do not specify.

Caveat Emptor

Bill

Hi thanks for all these advices, i probably wont buy a mont blanc now, after reading some of the feed backs.

Also i have decide i wont go through ebay, i dont like to risk stuff.

Anyway many thx

I suggest you go for other fountain pens, such as Parkers, Lamy, Waterman, Pelikan, Rotring, and others. Some good choices are Parker Frontiers, Lamy Safari/Vista, Waterman Phileas, Any Pelikans. Prices of these are quite moderate, around $30 or so.

These will probably better suit you as a first fountain pen. Perhaps once you have a better feel for fountain pens, and have some money to spare, you could go for a Mont Blanc (Though I warn you, you may find that it doesn't perform as well as some of the inexpensive ones I stated above ;) ).

Whatever the case, there is a fountain pen for just about any price, for anyone, anywhere. Welcome to FPN!

MBs are not inexpensive. But heck, look at the new Waterman Edson: $1,000. The new Mandarin duofold is selling for around $450-550.

I have not priced a 149 in a long time, but I bet it is around 550-600 dollars. Take a look around at all the other pens and you will find lots of pens in this price range, many of them no better or worse than the 149, though it is true that MB is tough to get on sale or at a real discount.

The few 149's I have written with wrote nicely and were no more prone to break than other pens.

But I think you can get a really great Pelikan 800 for $235 - 275 and would probably be very very happy with that. j

Edited by John Cullen

As the owner of a Montblanc, I say go ahead and buy one. But a few tips first:

1. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. If the retailer doesn't let you test the pen, then forget it.

2. DO NOT buy one off the 'net. It's just not worth the risk. If you must, then go after someone who people trust. Don't search around Ebay.

3. Ignore the naysayers and buy what you want.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Although I've been participating here for a while, I've stayed above the Mont Blanc fray. My friend, there's not been a pen I've seen in my time here that hasn't suffered from some issue. Let me repeat: NONE.

The next issue is service: again, that's been all over the board, like others. Fortunately, there's a few go-to people that seem to give better service (you'll find out who they are as you go along on here).

As for general reliability, check out some of the unhappy comments with Conklin, Conway Stewart, the ol' style Stipula 22's, etc. etc. -- stuff just happens. Personally, I think the "Pen Gods" have lots to do with it. When you get a new pen, I'd recommend pouring some sacrificial ink down your sink while chanting your pen's warranty information three times.... :-)

Is Mont Blanc worth it? If you like it...buy it. Preferably test the pen first because you may not like how it feels in your hand. Happens with the best of 'em also. As for "opinions", you'll find this one is all over the board (just like Rolex on the wristwatch 'site I frequent). Personally, the MB pens I own have been marvelous. Are they worth their cost? I would try very hard to pick one up used (like any pens, let the previous owner(s) pay the original cost).

Anyway, just one person's opinion.

My best,

Paul

Edited by PaulK

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Although I've been participating here for a while, I've stayed above the Mont Blanc fray. My friend, there's not been a pen I've seen in my time here that hasn't suffered from some issue. Let me repeat: NONE. {{HEAVY SNIPPING}}

Anyway, just one person's opinion.

My best,

Paul

Believe that the Esties have little or no controversy. They just write...no muss no fuss. The Dip-less deskers are even better...NO CONTROVERSY...no bladder, no filling mechanism and a wide range of nibs.