Pelikan Extra fine nibs

entropy_00

I have a few Pelikan's that currently have a fine nib...I generally like fine to extra fine nibs..and the ones on my Peli's

are a bit closer to medium.

Question on extra fine Pelikan nibs..how scratchy are they? Is it better to go through Chartpak or to a nibmeister?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clive Merrick Morel

• Phthalo

• Bo Bo Olson

• ac12

Factory EF's are know to tend to be scratchy. I bought one and found this to be true. Richard Binder won't sell you a Factory EF without 'tuning' it first. I would go to him if I were you.

Edited by pakmanpony

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I've had so so luck with Pelikan XF. (All seem scratchy to me and they write wise). If you really want an xf (which I prefer to use myself) one really needs to send it to someone to get it ground and smoothed properly. The other possiblity is to go vintage Pelikan. My vintage XF's are the best I own. When thinking about purchasing a Pelikan I calculate into it the cost of having the nib worked on by a nibmeister. The best moden XF I have found is a Sailor F (since they run narrower than American/European widths). Sailor proves it is possible to make a smooth, reliable XF.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

From the sounds of it much depends on your luck, I only have one EF in an M800 and it writes very smoothly, looked pretty new when I got it and seller said only used a couple of times but just too fine for him, so probably hadn't been smoothed down by use.

Andy

Pel EFs have a reputation for being very inconsistent, both in terms of smoothness and line width. Unfortunately, your best bet is to get one from a nibmeister. Richard is great, as are others. No affiliation, just a happy repeat customer.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Lets see if I remember this correctly as it was from reading different posts................

""Pelikan gold EF nibs have such a bad rep that Richard Binder sells Pelikan EFs that he grinds from Fs and Dillon attends to all that pass through his hands.""

If I have that wrong, someone will correct it.

I understand the safest bet is to talk to either of them or one of the other folks who both sells and grinds them on a regular basis.

I have an M605 EF and it truly sucks. It was the replacement for the first nib I got with the pen which also truly sucked. Eventually I will have to discuss doing something with it but I haven't been in the mood for the last year.

I have a Steel Pelikan EF in a M200 and it, although it is nothing special, is satisfactory.

Best of luck.................

YMMV

I enjoy my EF Pelikan nibs and after more than a dozen of them I am fairly confident in them. I have not had to send any back to Pelikan nor have I had to purchase a F ground to an EF, all of them are factory ground EFs. I have purchased two custom nibs that are finer than the EF. But all in all I have had a great experience with the Pelikan EF nibs and will continue to purchase them. :thumbup:

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

I got one correct Pelikan EF out of seven I tried last year... of the pens I kept, I eventually had Richard grind the nibs to XXXF.

Two new Pelikan pens should arrive in my mailbox this week, both with factory EF nibs - it will be interesting to see if things are any different this time around.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

I got one correct Pelikan EF out of seven I tried last year... of the pens I kept, I eventually had Richard grind the nibs to XXXF.

Two new Pelikan pens should arrive in my mailbox this week, both with factory EF nibs - it will be interesting to see if things are any different this time around.

please let us know how this turns out--I'm in the same boat--send the F's to be exchanged for free or just assume they will suck and have someone work on the F's. I'm thinking I need to stop buying Pelikan Pens...

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

I have a Pelikan M100 with EF nib (factory) and it is not scratchy at all, nor is it particularly EF. It writes pretty much the same as my M200 with Binderized F nib. In any case, Richard Binder, according to his web site, does not tune the factory EF nib, but rather regrinds another nib down to EF size, which I suppose would enhance the consistency of flow, etc, which apparently the factory EF does not have.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

please let us know how this turns out--I'm in the same boat--send the F's to be exchanged for free or just assume they will suck and have someone work on the F's. I'm thinking I need to stop buying Pelikan Pens...

Okay guys let us remember one thing Pelikan gets their nibs from Bock. The pen bodies are very good pens. Take the M605, you can pick that up for $119, what other pen with a piston filler and 18k nib of that size can you get for that price? So if you have to spend another $30-$40 getting the nib customized, so what. Yes I know you should not have to, but to have a pen that holds that much ink and is that reliable then modify the nib.

Otherwise, that just means more for me! :thumbup:

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

The M400 had a pretty good EF nib - as in, I can actually use it and not have my letters obscured by ink. The M450 EF is sort of hopeless. Richard will receive it in a couple of months and turn it into a 0.3 Cursive Italic anyway! ;)

I don't have access to a facility like Chartpak... Pelikan AU charge $25 just to hear about your pen, so I would at least give Chartpak a try! :)

Edited by Phthalo

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

• 2 weeks later...
I have purchased two custom nibs that are finer than the EF.

Hi PelikanPenman,

• How much finer are those custom nibs compared to a 'standard' Pelikan EF?
  • Were they purchased from a nibmeister?

OK. One more question . . . I am still planning to buy a Majesty, but I'm between a rock and a hard place trying to decide which nib (F vs. EF) to get with the darned thing... I fully realize it always boils down to a personal choice, but even so, your suggestions would be most welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers!

-Clive Merrick Morel

. Please do not send PMs...E-mail me: clivemmorel@earthlink.net

Clive,

Do you have a fine in one of your current Pelikans? I have a few and they write more like everyone elses mediums. I have grown to like the ef size and ordered one to replace my BB in my 800. It was as everyone said inconsistant and scratchy. I tuned it up my self and was finally happy with it. If I was doing it over again I would go to Richard Binder and get an EF from him. He can make all the way down to an XXXXF so it can go as thin as you are brave enough to use!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Clive,

Do you have a fine in one of your current Pelikans? I have a few and they write more like everyone elses mediums. I have grown to like the ef size and ordered one to replace my BB in my 800. It was as everyone said inconsistant and scratchy. I tuned it up my self and was finally happy with it. If I was doing it over again I would go to Richard Binder and get an EF from him. He can make all the way down to an XXXXF so it can go as thin as you are brave enough to use!

Hi Perry,

Not one Fine in the bunch... But I hear you regarding the EF from Richard Binder... it makes a great deal of sense - thanks!

BTW - How did you tune your Fine?

Would you consider ordering a finer nib than a EF (from Richard) in the future?.. The reason I ask is that I received a VP Decimo a couple of weeks ago with a scratchy F nib, then, almost immediately, ordered a 'tuned' Fine nib from Richard Binder to remedy the situation... I really like the width of the new nib -- and was wondering, based on your experience, just how much finer, say, a Pelikan XXF (Binderized) would be compared to the Decimo Fine?

Thanks a lot for taking your valuable time to help me, Perry.

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

. Please do not send PMs...E-mail me: clivemmorel@earthlink.net

well, I have all F's on my Pelikans and have finally decided to have the two newest swapped to XF's by Chartpak to see for myself how Pelikan XF's do--I'll post my experience when I get them back. Their regular F's tend to be too broad for my tastes, though there is some pretty significant variance between different nibs of the theoretic same width I notice with Pels.

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

Congrats on 1500 Phthalo!!!

With the nibs you like, you should change the note under your avatar to Super Fine!!

Clive - I have a polishing stick (think big emery board for pens) I picked up from a restorer, it has three fine grades of polishing surface (two on one side one on the other). Start on the roughest making figure 8's and making writing motions with an inked pen, then to the finer grade and then to the finest. Try the pen and if not smooth enough repeat process. I've fixed up about 1/2 dozen fine to EF nibs this way. The only thing to be carefull about is if you get carried away you end up with a broader writing nib in addition to it being smoother. Made that mistake once, so I am more careful.

PAKMAN