A Fine pen for a fine lady?

ayjayar

My wife has been watching me write with fountain pens for many years. I guess she is getting interested in trying some, because I see her looking longingly at my “weekly rack.” She has small, dainty hands and fingers. I could give her a cute little Noblesse Oblige or an M200 from my collection, but I first want to make sure she “takes” to writing with a fountain pen. I have several Sheaffer Triumph Imperials, which would be ideal, except for the fact that they are all Medium nibs and she would want Fine. Also they all have converters -- I don’t like cartridges at all, but she does.

Can y’all recommend some small/thin inexpensive, smooth writing pens that come with fine nibs and that are readily available for purchase? And, while we are at it, which cartridges (standard or International) contain wet inks?

TIA

AJR

http://www.rozsa.org/images/Img136.gif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ayjayar

• wimg

• freecia

• Dillo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depending on how small her hands are, I recommend either the Pelikan M300 or M400. Just to confuse things, the M300 is smaller. If you want to go a bit less expensive, the Pelikan M200 is the same size as the M400. These pens are known for their smoothness and are fun because they are piston fill, not cartridge/converter.

Waterman designed two pens especially for women:

- Ici et là

- Audace

The Audace collection is especially interesting by the look: pens look like make-up pen, and Waterman gets a lot of success with this collection.

Edited by mafiablues

I am curious about the recommendations to spend a lot for a "starter" pen on someone not used to fountain pen writing. Why not get a Sheaffer Prelude? Or has anyone tried the Pilot Knight? Both are under $40. I don't know if they may be too heavy for a starter? My starter was the Sensa Meridian, which I still think writes as good as my Aurora, but I don't like the weight and diameter of it.

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

You might try a lovely Japanese pen from Stan (see them at penpassion.com) or Russ (ebay). They're more slender and quite appeal to me aesthetically. (Well, the batch before last did, at least). Most Japanese pens are a F nib to EF.

I have a Sailor 21 and it writes wonderfully, takes cartridges and converters. Can't say that the 21k gold nib feels much different from any of my other nibs, but it does make me chuckle.

Stan may also have a few Pilot Slims left which are a very slim (good for planners) and easy writing nib. It takes pilot cartridges and I've refilled a cart with some SwishMix ink which writes pretty well, especially since the nib is F to EF. These are really affordable and make a good knockabout pen for those with smaller hands. Not sure if she'll think they're cute, though, since they're somewhat utilitarian looking. Note: Pilot cartidges are pretty easy to refill since the opening is larger than the standard international cartridge. You could probably refill it with a coffee straw, even, since the straw would probably fit inside the cartridge. http://www.penpassion.com/node/460

If you're looking to go out and buy one in store, you might consider a Waterman. Not the Phileas, since it might be too big of a grip for her dainty hands.

Ah, and the one she might just love the Pilot Petit http://www.pilot.co.jp/line_up/product/petit1/petit1.html but of course isn't avail., except via import, in USA. They take tiny cartridges and are under $5 for the pen. I have about 6 of these :rolleyes: in different colors.

It can be a real toughie getting a

1) thin pen

2) thin line

3) inexpensive price

4) cartridge filler

5) readily available

The Pilot Slim (slimmer than a Bic) fulfills 1-4. And almost 5 with the wonders of the internet. If you do go with it, buy a few more cartridges from Stan as the one included is "vintage" (read, I wouldn't put this in my pen 'cause the ink looks grotty). If you want a Petit, I have an unused one in Blue-Black that I might be persuaded to send to a good home, or possibly pick up one of the orange-ish pens and you could refill the cartridges with other colors.

Would any of the Estie lovers be able to suggest a specific nib and comment on the pen grip's thickness?

post-4-1125784647_thumb.jpg

You might try a lovely Japanese pen from Stan (see them at penpassion.com) or Russ (ebay). 

Thank you, Freecia. You are very kind to take the time to guide me through such great ideas.

I asked my wife (no more surprise, I suppose) what she would really like. It turns out that, because she is a piano player, she has strong fingers, so she would like pens that are not too thin. She likes solid, conservative colors, but I think she will, eventually, find the joys of having different pens for different moods. :-) I may use 5-6 different pens on any given day, dependent how I feel, or what I doing. She also prefers smooth transition between the point section (the part into which the nib and feed are pushed/screwed) and the barrel (main body), that this, “no bumps.” Which probably will mean a fountain pen without a screw-on top – just as well, since she would probably strip the threads in no time at all. Will have to show her how take the cap off with one hand. She also does not like metal... she likes a smooth, warm texture. What can I tell you?... Americans are spoiled and they want things exactly the way they want them.

You have given me some terrific ideas so my “job” to find the right pen will be much easier. Also, thanks to you, I think I found a whole new line of pens that I might want to “explore” myself. I don’t collect pens.... I use them.

I am very grateful, Freecia, for your generosity with your time and with sharing your knowledge with me. :)

Kind regards,

AJR

:D Glad she knows what she wants. She sure has been eyeballing your collection.

No prob for the suggestions. We're always here to enable. I'm a user myself since it gives me enjoyment to do so.

Please let us know what you two pick out. I'm always keeping my eyes out for a new pen, of course, and if it weren't for the nice pen collectors on the 'net, would never had gotten into Japanese pens. Or adding an m200 to my to-buy list. But hey, those criterions (and the finicky fine or extra fine nib) can really make it a fun challenge to find "user pens".

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I am not too sure about this, but is there any chance she likes fat pens?

My younger sister took my Phileas which I was struggling along with. Her next target is the uninked Reflex in my collection with a convertor in it.

But anyway, take a look at the Cross Classic Century II and possibly the Parker Sonnet. Those two seem to fit the description of "Not too thin" Just a side note, I would have mentioned the Waterman Ici Et La or Audace if you really wanted thin.

Fat pens provide writing comfort for short times (Some people like me cannot write with them though), but thin pens are better for extended writing.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Waterman designed two pens especially for women:

- Ici et là

- Audace

The Audace collection is especially interesting by the look: pens look like make-up pen, and Waterman gets a lot of success with this collection.

I have middling large hands for a woman, and I found the Waterman Ici Et La too small for my use. Oddly enough, Sheaffer Craftsman models are all right for me to use. I am fond of the Sheaffer Preludes, as a simple elegant model, and (unsolicited plug here) PenHero.com has a large number of finishes.

Edited by Velma

Edited by Moondrop

"We have only one thing to give up. Our dominion. We don't own the world. We're not kings yet. Not gods. Can we give that up? Too precious, all that control? Too tempting, being a god?"

Hi,

Yes, the fountain pen version of the Audace is not available in the US. Some Watermans are not available in the US as of now. I will have to organize to have someone get me an Ici Et La Turquoise in Australia.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

We all tend to be a little OCD, almost by definition, since we are collectors. Well, my beautiful, smart, utterly beloved wife is so precise about what she wants, she drove me nuts. I almost regretted her indoctrination into fountain pen arcana. I had to let her try a dozen pens, before we starting approximating a ballpark. After 25 years, I still have trouble reading her mind. :-P

Now, I didn’t really want her to have any one of my true treasures, which turns out to be a good idea. She holds the pen so close to the nib she ends up with ink between her index and middle fingers. So, I said, “ahah, hooded pens.”

Got her a couple of Parker 51 knock-offs (Hero 100) and milady just loves them. Also got her a Hero “Junior Engineer” pen (see pix) and she loves that one, too.

http://www.manchukuo.freewebspace.com/heropens/juniorengineer.jpg

I don’t want to sound nationalistic, but I am coming into Hero pen usage VERY reluctantly. I got more Sheaffers and Watermans than anything else. OTOH, while we (Americans) are drifting more and more away from our traditions (you should see my son’s chicken scratch he calls writing – when I complained to his elementary school teacher I was told “Don’t worry, he will be using a keyboard most of the time”) the Orient and Europe still take delight in the art of writing.

I AM impressed with the quality of some of these Hero pens. The prices are unbeatable. No way of telling how they are going to stack up in time against the “originals,” but for the time being, my wife is happy. And when momma is happy.... ;-)BTW, DO NOT get the Hero 616 (also a Parker 51 replica - it's tackily made, cheap, cheap, cheap.

Thank you all for the input. Through your suggestions I discovered some nifty pens that I will enjoy using for years to come.

P.S. For my avatar I scanned the bottom part the poem I wrote to my (then) future wife. I penned it on the morning of our wedding day using some nice parchment paper, but a really cheap dipping pen.

Hi Ayjayar,

Nice to know you succeeded, and that engineer's pen looks mighty interesting to me. Does it actually have any tipping at all? It is hard to make out, as the point seems so fine.

And thanks for explaining your avatar. That is a very nice touch indeed.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi Maja,

Very romantic, Andrew! :)
Isn't it just? I love it!
I wish my husband would ask around to see what pen I wanted next :D (not that I need another pen.... :rolleyes: )
Ha! I don't dare ask anymore. My better half told me she has enough fountain pens, now. Her table top pen box holding 6 is full...

Of course, she doesn't know that I have this marvelous little Lady Agatha for her, which just goes into her ... purse! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Does it actually have any tipping at all? It is hard to make out, as the point seems so fine.

Wife is out of town (she commutes once or twice a week) so I can't put the nib under a loupe, but here is the 'bigger brother' of the 'junior' I got her:

http://www.manchukuo.freewebspace.com/heropens/heroengineerfountainpen.jpg

The 'Junior' wrote VERY smoothly for an extra fine nib. Now you made me curious and will tell you tomorrow night after she gets back whether I see iridium or what. Until I started 'exploring' Esterbrooks I never realized that you can actually fold steel and make it write quite well. BTW, I ordered the 'Engineer' pen... couldn't resist $0.01 + $10 for shipping. How can I go wrong?

Go to Yi Cheng Trading Company's site and do a search with keyword 'engineer' on the Our Products page and you will retrieve both the 'junior' and the bigger one. I am such a sucker for utilitarian pens - that is, cheap and functional. Y'all can snicker at me if you want to... but when I see an FP being sold for $51K I have two reactions: 1) we are definitely on different tracks as far as what we do with our pens; and 2) some people have waaaaay too much money. BTW, Alan Koo sends these things from Singapore and I have never been disappointed yet. Love the Internet. ;-)

Edited by ayjayar

Hi Ayjayar,

Thank you for your reply. The bigger brother clearly shows tipping, so it is likely that the smaller one has tipping too. It is impossible to see whether it is steel folded over, though. It does look like regular tipping.

Looking forward to the results of your little investigation! :D Thanks for sharing!

Regarding cost of pens: I think it is entirely about what floats your boat, the budget you have available, and what you´re willing to spend. As long as you get what you really want, I guess all is fine. Just my 2c, of course... :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Ohhhh. Ok, an affordable one to be added to the "to buy" list.

Musn't blow my Grad School budget. Yet I caught myself yesterday thinking about an "interview pen". In my mind, it was the Vanishing Point. For me, a Software Engineer, not flashy but an interesting click mechanism, might be the fun way to go.