Waterman fountain pens--can you help identify?

emdee

I have recently unearthed two Waterman fountain pens, and would like to prevail upon FPN members' expertise in assessing what models they are, and to perhaps give an idea of their value (given their condition, etc.). Both were used (minimally) with cartridges but were emptied/cleaned before being stored away, for about 20 years.

Markings on the top nib are: Waterman/18K 750/Made in France. The gold band on the cap has: Waterman Made in France Plaque DRG (as far as I can tell!). The color is a deep cobalt blue; slim, straight barrel. It has a bldder-type fill mechanism.

The marks on bottom nib are: Waterman/18K 750; the slim gold band on the cap has: Waterman Made in France. Black, slim, straight barrel. It has a piston-type fill mechanism (clean, unused).

Thanks for any information!

post-8905-1189705083_thumb.jpg

post-8905-1189705096_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emdee

• saintsimon

• jinzo1988

• gvl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The top one looks like a "Gentleman" model - but perhaps not quite. Seems to have the correct nib and the gold plated ring where the nib & feed meets or goes into the smooth laquered section. The pocket clip looks right. Does it have the Waterman script "W" on the flat top of the cap? If so, I would say it is a Gentleman model.

Bottom one looks like an "Exclusive" model - but again not quite. This has the wrong section or finger grip (not knurled or knobby) and is missing the triple gold bands on the cap. The nib seems a little wrong, but the gold plated ring where the nib & feed meets or goes into the section is correct and the pocket clip is correct. This may be an early variant that lead up to the Exclusive model.

Maybe I am not understanding you, but aren't both cartridge pens - maybe with ink converters inside?

Value??? Hard to tell. I picked up a Gentleman (like the top one above) on ebay for $15.50 (plus shipping) BUT it is a little rough cosmetically and the seller did not have it named correctly - so few were bidding on it. Both of yours look very nice as far as the pics show.

Edited by jinzo1988

I agree with jinzo1988 that the top pen is a Waterman Gentleman. Manufactured from the mid 1970s and often compared with the Sheaffer Targa and Parker 75 which were around at the same time. Great pen - value for one in good condition around $50 IMHO.

Hadn't noticed the Plaque DRG marking before but I can't say I have examined the small print that closely on these pens. Plaque Or is French for gold plated.

Not so sure on the second pen. From memory, I would say it is an Executive model but it is a while since I've seen one and I can't find any pictures anywhere to check the I.D. I believe the Executive dates to around the same time as the Gentleman but as a less substantial pen, it would probably be worth less.

I have recently unearthed two Waterman fountain pens, and would like to prevail upon FPN members' expertise in assessing what models they are, and to perhaps give an idea of their value (given their condition, etc.). Both were used (minimally) with cartridges but were emptied/cleaned before being stored away, for about 20 years.

Markings on the top nib are: Waterman/18K 750/Made in France. The gold band on the cap has: Waterman Made in France Plaque DRG (as far as I can tell!). The color is a deep cobalt blue; slim, straight barrel. It has a bldder-type fill mechanism.

The marks on bottom nib are: Waterman/18K 750; the slim gold band on the cap has: Waterman Made in France. Black, slim, straight barrel. It has a piston-type fill mechanism (clean, unused).

I don't remember the name of the lower pen but I have one exactly like it. It did not come with a converter as I recall. I will see if I can find the original box which should have the name of it.

I purchased the pen about 15, or maybe more, years ago at Staples in Canada. As I recall, the price was, at that time, around CDN $ 60.00 - 70.00. Don't forget that the Canadian Dollar was valued much lower then than it is today so less than $50.. is probably a good exchange rate to keep in mind.

Barry

The top one looks like a "Gentleman" model - but perhaps not quite. Seems to have the correct nib and the gold plated ring where the nib & feed meets or goes into the smooth laquered section. The pocket clip looks right. Does it have the Waterman script "W" on the flat top of the cap? If so, I would say it is a Gentleman model.

Bottom one looks like an "Exclusive" model - but again not quite. This has the wrong section or finger grip (not knurled or knobby) and is missing the triple gold bands on the cap. The nib seems a little wrong, but the gold plated ring where the nib & feed meets or goes into the section is correct and the pocket clip is correct. This may be an early variant that lead up to the Exclusive model.

Maybe I am not understanding you, but aren't both cartridge pens - maybe with ink converters inside?

Value??? Hard to tell. I picked up a Gentleman (like the top one above) on ebay for $15.50 (plus shipping) BUT it is a little rough cosmetically and the seller did not have it named correctly - so few were bidding on it. Both of yours look very nice as far as the pics show.

Hi, thanks for the info. Both pens take cartiridges, but they also have converters--a bladder (squeeze-type) one in the top pen and a piston-type one in the bottom pen.

These pens date from the late 80s so it may be that there is no exact analogue in the extant Waterman line. I can't quite believe that the top pen would only be worth $15, as I recall that they were somewhere up around $50–$60 when I got them. But being new to this world, I just can't say. Is E-bay my only option for trying to sell these?

Thanks again.

I agree with jinzo1988 that the top pen is a Waterman Gentleman. Manufactured from the mid 1970s and often compared with the Sheaffer Targa and Parker 75 which were around at the same time. Great pen - value for one in good condition around $50 IMHO.

Hadn't noticed the Plaque DRG marking before but I can't say I have examined the small print that closely on these pens. Plaque Or is French for gold plated.

Not so sure on the second pen. From memory, I would say it is an Executive model but it is a while since I've seen one and I can't find any pictures anywhere to check the I.D. I believe the Executive dates to around the same time as the Gentleman but as a less substantial pen, it would probably be worth less.

The markings on the cap band were very hard to read; I used a loupe, and yes, I do know that plaque d'or means gold-plated, but as far as I can tell from squinting at the darn thing the letters are DRG. Still, plaque d'or makes a lot more sense!

Thanks for the help!

I don't remember the name of the lower pen but I have one exactly like it. It did not come with a converter as I recall. I will see if I can find the original box which should have the name of it.

I purchased the pen about 15, or maybe more, years ago at Staples in Canada. As I recall, the price was, at that time, around CDN $ 60.00 - 70.00. Don't forget that the Canadian Dollar was valued much lower then than it is today so less than $50.. is probably a good exchange rate to keep in mind.

Barry

Hey Barry--

Thanks for offering to check out the box, and for the idea as to value. Other posters are saying that the lower pen is an Executive model.

Best,

M

emdee - Your Gentleman (with good pics which clearly show a clean/undamaged nib) would surely net significantly more than $15 on ebay if you name the pen right in the listing and there are no other problems, scratches, dents or chips on it. [The top zoomed out pics above are pretty far away and show little detail.] Remeber, I said mine was a bit rough and not ID'd right in the listing. Sometimes trolling ebay pays off.

Or.....you could always run it out here on the forum in the FPN Marketplace - naming what you think it is worth and asking for reasonable offers if viewers think you are too high. From what I have seen, that appears to work.

Edited by jinzo1988

The lower model is definitely an "Executive". It was positioned directly below the Gentleman line and above the later Exclusive line. It was not cheap. I paid the equivalent of DM 200 in Italy back in '86.

The Executive seems to be the most unknown Waterman from the 80s. It has na 18K nib and is c/c. There are every now and then RFIs here on FPN, and hardly anyone of the experts recognizes it. :o ;)

So I post my pic of my Executive again:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7669/watermanexec1we4.jpg

Edited by saintsimon

emdee - Your Gentleman (with good pics which clearly show a clean/undamaged nib) would surely net significantly more than $15 on ebay if you name the pen right in the listing and there are no other problems, scratches, dents or chips on it. [The top zoomed out pics above are pretty far away and show little detail.] Remeber, I said mine was a bit rough and not ID'd right in the listing. Sometimes trolling ebay pays off.

Or.....you could always run it out here on the forum in the FPN Marketplace - naming what you think it is worth and asking for reasonable offers if viewers think you are too high. From what I have seen, that appears to work.

Thanks, Jinzo. I am planning to try to sell all the pens right here at FPN. I don't particularly like eBay and I'd like to give all you passionate pen people the first opportunity to buy them. I'll entertain any reasonable offer; not looking to make a "killing," but would like to get fair value, and I also would like to have these beautiful instruments go to good homes.

The lower model is definitely an "Executive". It was positioned directly below the Gentleman line and above the later Exclusive line. It was not cheap. I paid the equivalent of DM 200 in Italy back in '86.

The Executive seems to be the most unknown Waterman from the 80s. It has na 18K nib and is c/c. There are every now and then RFIs here on FPN, and hardly anyone of the experts recognizes it. :o ;)

So I post my pic of my Executive again:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7669/watermanexec1we4.jpg

Thanks, Saint Simon. The photo really helps. I also have another Waterman pen that has just this kind of finish, but in mottled gray. I didn't put it up because, unfortunately, the nib has some corrosion, though it still writes fine. Was planning to keep that one.

Might you be bale to tell me roughly what DM 200 translates to in 1986 dollars?

Might you be bale to tell me roughly what DM 200 translates to in 1986 dollars?

The exchange rate back then was about $ 1 = DM 2

Regarding the corroded nib: try to clean it with silver pollishing cloth. I use it for oxydized gold alloy surfaces, too.

Edited by saintsimon