Michigan Pen Show 2007

LTW

To attendees of our Michigan Pen Show 2007,

It was a pleasure meeting all of you Friday and yesterday.

I wanted to express the Michigan Pen Club's gratitude to the attendees, dealers, and our show sponsors Yafa, Delta, and Pear Tree Pens. With your participation we had a terrific show and I am happy to say that the attendance figures increased substantially over 2006.

I am especially appreciative of the many attendees and dealers who traveled from far away. Most notable was the Canadian contingent of around dozen people who drove 3-4 hours to our show. I don't ever remember when we had so many Canadian pen friends come to our show.

Also many dealers made a similar effort to get to us:

- Mike Conway and Susan Wirth from WI

- Paul Erano from upstate NY, Steve and Maryann Zuckers from NY City

- Dr. Nick Olmos-Lau and Tom Mullane from MD

- Lee Chait and Jimmy Dolive from GA

- Al Mayman and Doug Vicary from PA

- Bill Weakley from IN

- Terry Mawhorter and Pentiques from OH

- Scott Meyer of Only One Creation from the west part of MI

One more person gets special mention even though he's from the local suburbs. I won't identify him but he came on both days even though he has a heart condition and on the organ waiting list. He tires very easily and needs to make several rest stops just walking from the parking lot to our showroom. I would definitely say he made a herculean effort to attend our show.

You guys are terrific! I am honored to know all of you who come to our show.

In contrast to the above people there are pen folks in our local area who don't make the effort to come. People on this very list from Ann Arbor and other Detroit suburbs were missing.

Regards,

Lih-Tah Wong

Organizer - MI Pen Show

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LTW

• MikeW

• RayMan

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to express the Michigan Pen Club's gratitude to the attendees, dealers, and our show sponsors Yafa, Delta, and Pear Tree Pens. With your participation we had a terrific show and I am happy to say that the attendance figures increased substantially over 2006.

Congratulations are due to the Michigan Pen Club for putting this fine show together. It must take a considerable effort to plan such an event, and bring it to fruition. Thanks to all those who worked so hard to make the show a success.

Regards,

Ray

Congratulations are due to the Michigan Pen Club for putting this fine show together. It must take a considerable effort to plan such an event, and bring it to fruition. Thanks to all those who worked so hard to make the show a success.

P2p wrote: Hi All... another attendee w/short note of thanks.

I want to add my appreciation for everyone who made my 1st pen show experience a purely delightful experience..

EVERYone went out of their way to educate, & advise me in in the best way possible. It was truly a pleasure to meet several regular online condtribuors, & well known knowledgable folks in the penworld at large.

Tomorrow I will post my specific event experiences & my budget restrained, but exciting buys tomorrow.. long day in other event today, & weary brain can't quite string thoughts together well.

Hope all returned home safely.

Thank you for making my 1st show such a pleasant, & positive experience!

Warmly,

p2p

Edited by pen2paper

Li-Tah

I started a thread yesterday asking who attended, etc. but I am glad that you took the time to recognize all the dealers and sponsors, etc.. We all want to congratulate and thank you and the rest of the Michigan Pen Club for a successful event.

I was part of a Canadian contingent of 7 who came with Doug Ritchie (he is on the MPC board as well as in our club - SWOPC). As I noted in the thread, everyone in our group went home happy with a number of goodies. We had a very enjoyable day.

Mike Walker

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Li-Tah,

I want to thank you for going out of your way to make me feel especially welcome....

The show was fanatastic and I had a great time... hopefully I will make it back again next year...

My first pen show. Thanks all! Came away with a Parker "51" vac along with journals from Rhodia and Clairfontaine and some Lamy Black (thanks James!). I could have been a lot more expensive.... :rolleyes:

Dennis

I had a great time at the show! Unfortunately, I got waylaid on Friday, so wasn't able to make it at all, but I did manage to get there in time for the opening on Saturday. And boy, was the show hopping all day. I'm pretty sure that I didn't sit down once during the whole show, and I'm glad I brought some granola bars with me to eat, because I didn't get to take a lunch break either. The Michigan Pen Show just keeps getting better every year.

Friday, I was so behind schedule that I even considered not bringing any ink with me. What a mistake that would have been! My table was constantly humming with activity and ink was my biggest seller. Ink is one of those weird hit and miss type items - sometimes I bring a lot and sell none, other times, I don't bring enough. This time, though, I think I got it right. I probably could have sold some J. Herbin had I brought it, but there's only so much space available to transport and display. Speaking of transport, I brought so much stuff with me I literally had to rent a U-Haul trailer to carry it all. Unfortunately, even with my 3 tables (2.5; Old Griz had the other half), I didn't have enough room to display it all. One of these days I'll figure out how to do a pen show right!

As usual, I was the last table packed, and I didn't get home until almost 10 pm on Saturday. Slept in Sunday then unloaded the trailer after breakfast with the kids. Took a whole bunch of orders over the web while I was at the show, so they'll take a day or two to clear out, then it'll be (hopefully) business as usual.

A quick shout out to Chris (P2P), MikeW, SMG and the other Canadians who weathered the border patrol to make it to the show, and to my new friends Dennis Shubitowski, John Henderson and the countless others who stopped by to chat, try and buy. Thanks everyone! (and a HUGE thanks to Tom Mullane, who saved me his beautiful Toothbrush Duofold button filler that it is in MINT condition! Wahooo!!)

And, of course, my hugest thanks to the Lih-Tah, Eric and the other Michigan Pen Collectors who made this the best Michigan Pen Show yet. Your hard work was evident in every aspect of the program. Thank you!

Back to the grind now.

James

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

Thanks guys.

Some of you really traveled far. I'm glad to see you got home OK.

Mike, there was actually a few more besides your bunch traveling with Doug Ritchie. Pearce and Paul Jarvis, James Trepanier, Marilyn and Barry Rose, and a few more whose names slipped my memory. One fellow brought his wife and two small kids, so I was glad one of the club members brought cookies and brownies that I gave the kids. :-)

To those of you in or near the GTA, I hope to see you at the next Toronto Pen Show 2008. This year's show was problematic due to the venue being Casa Loma, but I really hope Bob and Shari succeed in finding another location next year.

Regards,

Lih-Tah

www.Parker75.com

Li-Tah

I didn't mean to suggest that we we the only group - I bumped into several other Canadians that did not come with us. Next year, you will have to put up a Canadian flag!

James

It was nice to meet you. Thanks for the WES Special ink - I love it. The other guys are happy with their buys and when Doug gets back from his trip, I am pretty sure he wants a few Lamys.

Old-Griz

Nice to talk to you and thanks for showing me your personal Bexley - now that's a real looker!

Fun, fun, fun had by everyone!

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Lih-Tah- I am a bit bothered that you chose to insult folks like me , from Ann Arbor, for not making it to the show. I have serious health issues and am unable to drive. In choosing to gratuitiously insult all the Michigan pen collectors who couldnt make it to the Michigan Pen show, you have just made it less welcoming to those who couldnt attend this year.

Lih-Tah- I am a bit bothered that you chose to insult folks like me , from Ann Arbor, for not making it to the show. I have serious health issues and am unable to drive. In choosing to gratuitiously insult all the Michigan pen collectors who couldnt make it to the Michigan Pen show, you have just made it less welcoming to those who couldnt attend this year.

Just post on this and other boards. There are people who come from Ann Arbor and I'd like to think some of them would be generous enough to offer you a lift.

Don't let your inabilty to drive prevent you from coming and enjoy the camraderie of like-minded folks enjoying the hobby!

LTW

Li-Tah

I didn't mean to suggest that we we the only group - I bumped into several other Canadians that did not come with us. Next year, you will have to put up a Canadian flag!

Understood.

This show was such a pleasant surprise with the number of people from across the border. In the past there were but one or two besides Heinz of www.penchant.ca.

Yes, I may just have to do that bit with a flag. :-)

I think my participation at the past 3 Toronto shows is showing some reciprocation. Great! We need to continue this. I'm going to try and get a Michigan contigent to make the trip with me for 2008. I know there is quite a few from the Michigan Pen Club who attend the Columbus show in November.

Lih-Tah

Li-Tah,

I want to thank you for going out of your way to make me feel especially welcome....

The show was fanatastic and I had a great time... hopefully I will make it back again next year...

Tom,

It was great to meet you! And thanks for that spur-of-the-moment Parker FP to add to the prize to the leather portfolio from James Partridge. I'm certain Mr. Shapiro will enjoy both.

Lih-Tah

The show was quite enjoyable, it's always nice to see some familiar faces, and some new ones! Both my dad and myself quite enjoyed the show, and to have the local Jaguar club have a show in the parking lot on Saturday just made the Troy experience that much better! (There was a boat load of E-Types and a few nice XK120's).

Lih-Tah,

Look forward to seeing you as well at the Toronto show next year, hopefully it will continue to grow in popularity like the Michigan show. Always nice to have a good show in your own backyard!

Pearce.