Estie nib rarety

Tberry010

I was looking at some nib listings and noticed that some nibs are labled 'elusive' or 'hard to find' and was wondering if anyone has a list of all the nibs available and the 'rareness' of the Estie nibs? I know some like the 9128 are more expensive but can't seem to find way to make reasonable buying decisions. Any one done this? Tberry010

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Anderson

• ntheo

• Quicksilver

• EventHorizon

Well, by the series, 1000 and 2000 series are pretty easy to find and cheap, except for the *314 stub points generally, call them uncommon to rare. 9000 points are better, most still pretty findable, except stubs and flex. Rate them uncommon. 3000 and 8000 nibs are holy grails and are rare no matter what the tip. You'll never get a 6000, so don't even bother.

Are you collecting for the sake of collecting, or collecting for the sake of use, but want to make smart buying decisions?

"Reverend, you will go to heaven with other good people. Even in heaven you be arguing about the various theories of religion. Your arguments will be an obstacle to my meditation. Therefore, I would prefer to got to hell. Then I will be of service to the suffering." ~ Bhante Walpola Piyananda

http://penpedia.com/sig.gif

Many months ago I received a couple of 5000 series nibs (which are specifically for dip-less pens) and feed with an Estie I bought on EBay. They must be fairly rare, because I haven't been able to find any more of them.

Regards,

Ray

5000s are pretty unusual, but aren't always referenced exactly as a renew point nib (even though they are!) since, as you say, they are specifically for dip-less pens. You wouldn't use it in a J or such. I know of 10 different 5000 series nibs. Out of those, I would guess to say the 5284, 5442, and the 5788 are the most rare.

7000s were also dip-less nibs, but I only know of 4 models. Expect them to be pretty rare.

As for Dip-Less nibs, the 3312 was also a dip-less renew point, but was the only non-7/5000 series nib to be such, so far as I know. I would defer to Brian's expertise to confirm that. A gold-plated, UK made 3312 would be a heck of a find!

"Reverend, you will go to heaven with other good people. Even in heaven you be arguing about the various theories of religion. Your arguments will be an obstacle to my meditation. Therefore, I would prefer to got to hell. Then I will be of service to the suffering." ~ Bhante Walpola Piyananda

I have a list of Esterbrook re-new-points listed here. There are five on that list I have never seen in person, so am not entirely sure they exist, but otherwise I've either seen an avertisement or catalog listing them or personally own that particular nib. The 6668 is probably the rarest nib and was a prototype. I think there are three known examples that I am aware of. Don't expect to find one anytime soon. Then the 8440 superfine followed by the other 8xxx series paladium nibs.

5xxx and 7xxx nibs, as already mentioned, are sort of their own animal, 7xxx are very much harder to find. If you're not into Dip-Less, you won't be worrying about collecting these. :)

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Hey Brian, do you actually know who owns the 6668 nibs out of curiosity?

First thanks for the responses. I think I am collecting to use and I have some Estie pens that need new sacs and even need a section or two that I plan to learn how to refurbish. I have been, I think, very fortunate to get some nibs that I haven't seen offered often- a 9128 and a 8556 top the list. The 8556 seems a little more 'F' than either the 2556 or 9556 and the 9128 is not as flexible as I expected but I really like the small amount of shading I get.

I do not apply a lot of pressure when I write so maybe I am not getting full advantage of the 9128. I grew up with older fountain pens-think first grade in '51- and I have trouble really mashing down on a pen.

If Brian doesn't have a full set no mere mortal such as I should even aspire to such, and I don't-not now anyway!

I don't have a 2442 and see that Brian has those so plan to order one. I hope in a short while to decide which I will use as a regular and narrow my accumulation by several.

I have been amazed at the wealth of knowledge here on FPN and the willingness to share that knowledge. Thanks again, Tberry

If Brian doesn't have a full set no mere mortal such as I should even aspire to such, and I don't-not now anyway!

One thing I was always taught growing up: There will always be someone who is better, does better, has more, etc. than you. It does not mean you can't do it too. :)

I still aspire to learn about Esterbrook. In fact I learned something just this evening I hadn't known before about pastel colored Brazilian models. (thanks AZ!) There's too much for any one person to conceivably learn. :)

I say go for it and teach us!

Best-

Brian

In fact I learned something just this evening I hadn't known before about pastel colored Brazilian models. (thanks AZ!)

OH COME OOONNNNN.........................are there any pictures?

When does it end?!?!?!?

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

In fact I learned something just this evening I hadn't known before about pastel colored Brazilian models. (thanks AZ!)

When does it end?!?!?!?

Try This site for starters. I just managed to pick up the black LJ style aerometric version shown pretty far down the page. (Thanks DocNIB!). Love those Blues!

Enough of a tease for you?

Brian

When does it end?!?!?!?

Try This site for starters. I just managed to pick up the black LJ style aerometric version shown pretty far down the page. (Thanks DocNIB!). Love those Blues!

Brian

Oh dear. (Frantically mopping the drool off the floor.) Is there no end to these pens to collect? And now Brazil!!!!

Oh dear. (Frantically mopping the drool off the floor.) Is there no end to these pens to collect? And now Brazil!!!!

And to think I haven't even pulled out the super special pens most people don't know about.

Hehehehehehehehehehe :roflmho:

I do plan on getting some pics ready within the next week of some new stuff, just so you don't think I'm teasing. :)

Brian

When does it end?!?!?!?

Brian

:drool: :drool: :drool: :clap1: :angry: :angry: :wacko: :wacko:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

• 3 months later...

Not sure if its -really- needed or if the text info is all 'repeat' info but if folks are interested I can take a stab at translating the text.

A translation? Yes please.

Isn't that grey 'Visumaster" wonderful?

Just how rare are 8440 nibs? I was toying with using my NIB one but if they are super duper rare I may not.

Jim - I have one... it was not NOS when I got it, but the first thing I did was shove it in a pen and WRITE!

So, I say, ink that thing.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

• 1 year later...
5000s are pretty unusual, but aren't always referenced exactly as a renew point nib (even though they are!) since, as you say, they are specifically for dip-less pens.

Just a quick question. Since the 5000s series are "Renewal Points" they would fit into any pens such as the J/SJ that accept renewal points as well?

You wouldn't use it [the 5000s/7000s] in a J or such

Why can't you? If they're renewal points, should they be able to screw in to a J/SJ unless the nib size is different and would prevent you from screwing the cap back on.

Thanks for clearing up these questions.

If they're renewal points, should they be able to screw in to a J/SJ unless the nib size is different and would prevent you from screwing the cap back on.

You can insert a 5000 series nib and feed into a J and write with it as a dip-less pen if you wish but it wouldn't work in the normal sense of a Renew Point. The feed doesn't have the needed ink channel to work properly as a reservoir pen.

T

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You can insert a 5000 series nib and feed into a J and write with it as a dip-less pen if you wish but it wouldn't work in the normal sense of a Renew Point. The feed doesn't have the needed ink channel to work properly as a reservoir pen.

T

Hmm :mellow:

Actually I think I would understand it more if you clarify what a dip-less pen is.

I associate fp as "dipless" since you don't have to dip it into it every few words/sentences.

Can you clarify that? So if you have a 5000 series nib into a J/SJ, you can't you fill it and use it as normally fountain pen (Level filler)? or can you?? :unsure: