The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vintage Waterman Ideal 32A

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2007 - 13:47

First Impressions
First impression was the colors of the pen. They are very vivd and I can see no fading or poor craftsmanship

Appearance
The pen is in very good condition and has had no repairs. There are no cracks on the cap or barrel but it is missing the thin band for the cap. As the mottled colors are very bold it does not detract from the overall appearance. I would consider this pen Vintage Bling

Design
The design of the pen is very clean and low profile. The lever for the fill system has a small metal guard to protect the celluloid which I have not seen on other pens and the clip seems very sturdy. The length is 6-3/8" posted and 5" capped. The weight is 0.5 oz when full of ink.

Nib
The nib is 14 kt and Italic. This is the first time I have used an italic nib and I am surprised at how much I like it. It is very flexible and lays down a generous line that is also noticeably darker than a normal nib. The one picture shows the difference between this nib and an Esterbrook 2668 nib. The strokes are very smooth on paper even on a side stroke. The up strokes are a little rough but as stated, this is the first time I have used this type of nib and my writing style is not the best.

Filling System
Basic lever fill and so far the pens holds a nice supply of ink.

Cost and Value
This pen was a gift about a year ago so I am not sure of the cost. As for value, I am still working on that.

Conclusion
I find this pen to be a pleasant surprise. When I first got it and saw the nib, I was not sure but now that I have been using it for a week and written many pages of notes, I will try to find more like it. The colors are part of the theme of my collection so that works out well. I would recommend this vintage Waterman to all FPN members

Along with the attached picture, more can be seen here.

Edited by EventHorizon, 09 September 2007 - 13:32.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.
Frank Herbert, Dune
US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Sponsored Content

#2 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2007 - 15:09

Nice review and nice looking pen. Kind of a switch from the typical colors of the day for Waterman. Hope you continue to enjoy this great pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#3 hardyb

hardyb

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2007 - 15:44

I picked up a gray marbled/mottled one (medium fine stub nib) at the Miami Pen show and it real performs very well. Here is to vintage pens!
The Danitrio Fellowship

Sponsored Content

|