Hello from Arizona

bugZ

Hello everyone,

I am VERY new to the world of fountain pens. It all began less than two months ago when I borrowed a pen that my husband kept in a travel bag for emergencies. It was not a fountain pen but I loved the way the ink flowed from the pen. He said "You need one of those fountain pens!" A what pen?

I soon forgot all about it but several days later a small box arrived for me which contained a Lamy AL-Star fine with a blue cartridge. He had heard that it is a good starter pen and being the first and only fountain pen I have used I think it's the best thing ever.

I went online and was just amazed at the ink choices available so I ordered two inexpensive Lamy inks and added orange scent to one and black cherry to another. I figure these will be fun to mess with. I also ordered the Noodler's Legal Lapis because it is a beautiful color and permanent. I purchased two converters as well.

What I have come to figure out is that I have lots of pretty ink and not enough pens!

I am now looking to expand my horizons and would welcome any suggestions as to what pen would be a good "next step". I have been reading and researching as much as possible and am leaning towards a vintage pen but I just don't know for sure.

Lisa

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bugZ

• KendallJ

• Roger

• Ray

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pel 200 is a great start. You might also consider a Sheaffer Legacy or maybe a Sailor 1911M.

welcome and do stay a while!

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Welcome BugZ.

Just keep your eyes glued to the forum here, and based on what you read that agrees with your sense of values and priorities, you'll soon build a "Want List" that will be large, indeed! :D Soon you'll be so engrossed in FPs that when someone says something about a ball point pen, you'll say...A what point pen? :)

Edit: Oh, and where 'bouts in AZ? I'm down here south of Tucson, fighting to make the border secure.

Edited by Roger

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Welcome aboard and it does indeed sound like you are hooked and good. Let the obsession begin! Soon you'll have many inks and many pens. Seriously, I'm a newbie myself (since April) and this is one of the most friendly (or is it fiendly for encouraging such spending ;) ) and informative places on fps in existence. I know you'll enjoy it. See you around the boards.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thank you all for your suggestions. Maybe I need one of each :-)

I agree that this is a very friendly place. I am fairly shy and usually just lurk but it is very comfortable here.

Roger I am in Lake Havasu City. That's a dangerous job you have there!

Be safe,

Lisa

Bugz -

I would also suggest a new avatar! Something pen related!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/justiniano/Spork.jpg

:P

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Heh heh, good one Kendall! But I like the spork. I would suggest you keep your avatar as you like it.

Oh yeah, and welcome to our lunacy!!

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Roger I am in Lake Havasu City. That's a dangerous job you have there!

Be safe,

Just joking about what really isn't a joking matter, BugZ. But, even at my age, I can use the binoculars and be another pair of eyes.

You won't be shy, here for very long, I'll bet. The large number of members from the distaff side will make you very comfortable, very quickly.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Hi bugZ (Lisa),

Welcome to FPN :D

I have to agree with Ray about the Pelikan M200; it's a great modern pen.

There are many different vintage pens you can try out...you just have to figure out what you want in a vintage pen. For starters, do you want a pen that has a flexy (flexible) nib or one with a stiffer nib? I tend to write quickly so though I love the small # of flexy-nibbed pens I own, I feel more comfortable writing with a fountain pen that has a stiffer nib. In my case, the vintage Sheaffers are right up my alley :lol: If you want a vintage pen with more flex, check out some vintage Waterman or Swan pens (among others).

Edited by Maja

Hi Lisa and welcome to the Fountain Pen Zone, where becoming addicted is a good thing!! Or at the very least we see it that way. Since I have joined this forum, I too have developed a broader taste for various inks. If anything the FPN will enlighten you in many ways!

:D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Hi Lisa. I'm kind of new here myself. I have a Pelikan M200 and it is one of my favorite users. For an inexpensive pen the Sheaffer Preludes are great(I have five of them). Try Pam Braun for the M200 at a great price, or get a custom nibbed M150 or M200 Pelikan from Richard Binder for under $100. For a good deal on Sheaffer check out Pendemonium. I have dealt with all of them many times. Great people. Welcome!

Welcome Lisa! Your husband sounds like a gem! How unusual for a non-fountain pen user to recognize the signs of fountain pen desire (aahh, watching the flow of ink). And then to choose such a perfect pen to start with. I generally collect (well, actually, I accumulate) vintage pens, but I've recently discoverd the Lamy Safari and I've been using mine a lot lately. So much for being a starter pen.

I recommend you look into Esterbrooks. They're pretty and durable, and you can often find them around $25 - 40. Just make sure you find one that is fully restored. (It's going to take just a little longer to get you hooked on fp repairs :o

Welcome Lisa,

You may just find yourself a lot like myself. There is so much in pendom, I never know what lies around the corner when it comes to collecting and using pens. Just keep youself open to everything and you will be constantly suprised.

I am now looking to expand my horizons and would welcome any suggestions as to what pen would be a good "next step". I have been reading and researching as much as possible and am leaning towards a vintage pen but I just don't know for sure.