Before I stamp on my 149 in sheer fury at it, could this be the problem?

Methersgate14

My 149 has been to see its makers twice; it still does not work as well as any of the (much) cheaper pens that I own.

Let me first describe the symptoms:

When purchased, it would run dry after a few lines.

After a visit to MB's official service people, it starts off very wet, then runs dry after three lines.

After a second visit, when for some reason the entire body of the pen was replaced (there was nothing wrong with it - did they drop it, I wonder?) it was just the same.

My amateur diagnosis is that the air channel is blocked, that it has always been blocked, and that an incompetent service person altered the ink flow instead of clearing the air channel.

Does this sound right, O Assembly of Experts?

And, if so, should I send it back to MB again or should I try to find someone who knows what they are doing?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Methersgate14

• Brian

• RSVP

• jd50ae

Thanks for both of those suggestions.

I'll try both.

It has only ever had MB ink in it; I've tried water flushing, with no sucess.

It sounds like a problem with the feed. What is the nib size? I've had problems like this with other pens and it's usually either the ink channel is too narrow or the air channel is either partially blocked or too narrow. The nib/feed assembly is set into a collar with a sealant and then that whole assembly is screwed into the barrel. So it could be some of the sealant got into the air channel or perhaps the nib/feed interface is off such that once the ink in the feed is used up, the ink from the barrel can't flow into the feed. No matter what the problem is, MB should correct it to your satisfaction. If it was me, I'd send the pen back to MB again with a rather strongly-worded letter letting them know that this is the third time it's been back and I would ask for a completely new pen.

I had the same problem with a new Delta Soiree. An energetic flushing of the nib took care of it.

bt

Edited by Bogtrotter

Also, you might want to try some other inks in the pen. Allow me to suggest Pelikan Brilliant Black, Waterman Florida Blue, and Parker Quink Washable Blue.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Thanks very much.

Nib reads: " 1810 - M (in star) - 14K - Montblanc - 585 "

The nib/feed interface looks correct, and I strongly suspect, having flushed the pen through umpteen times in the 20 years that I have owned it (some of which have been spent in the back of a cupboard, in disgrace, but most of which have been spent sitting idly in my jacket pocket next to a workaday Parker...) that you are right and some sealant is obstructing the air channel.

Strong letter to Mont Blanc follows!

Heresy:

Send it not to MB, but to a respected independent repairman. Richard Binder comes to mind, but check his waiting period. The price is worth it for a quality repair and a dependable diagnosis. He's worked on both vintage and modern MBs for me.

There are other people out there, but it's late and I've blanked on the names.

gary

Has the same problem with a Cross Century Classic, a quick burst of can air cleared the channel and has worked perfectly since.

I use a fountain pen because one ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to write a few reasonable words with a fountain pen.

• 2 weeks later...
My 149 has been to see its makers twice; it still does not work as well as any of the (much) cheaper pens that I own.

Let me first describe the symptoms:

When purchased, it would run dry after a few lines.

After a visit to MB's official service people, it starts off very wet, then runs dry after three lines.

After a second visit, when for some reason the entire body of the pen was replaced (there was nothing wrong with it - did they drop it, I wonder?) it was just the same.

My amateur diagnosis is that the air channel is blocked, that it has always been blocked, and that an incompetent service person altered the ink flow instead of clearing the air channel.

Does this sound right, O Assembly of Experts?

And, if so, should I send it back to MB again or should I try to find someone who knows what they are doing?

This is the exact same problem experienced with a 90s 149. I sent it back to MB New Jersey describing the problem and after about 4 weeks came back working properly. If there was a rub in all of this the pen was purchased from a local proprietor and because I was close to a MB Boutique I took it there for warranty work. At first the saleswoman refused to take the pen stating that it was not purchased from them. So I sent a letter of complaint on the basis that it was a MB, the MB Boutique is a MB representative offering their products for sale, and therefore that MB should stand behind its products whether purchased at a boutique or not.

To make a long story short I received an apology but sent the pen in myself anyway because I didn't want to further spoil how I was feeling about the pen. In the end the repair facility in New Jersey did a good job for this and other work for several other MBs on different occassions. The customer reps were great and I would not hesitate to purchase another MB from any vendor other than the boutiques.

Sorry for all this verbage. I recommend you simply take the time to write down what the problem is and then mail in your pen. Good luck and best wishes.

I forgot to mention that the written description of the symptoms are very important and that sometimes it takes more than one try to get it right. Also, I would speak to a customer rep first before you resend in your pen.