The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Conklin Word Gauge

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 inkyfingers

inkyfingers

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 21:31

Sorry about the dark color, hence what was planned to be a double review isn't so much since you can't see the green/blue shading in the Noodlers AirCorp.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
-Mike
So much ink, so little said...

Sponsored Content

#2 Apollo

Apollo

Handsome Devil

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 22:52

Nice review and nice pics! :drool:

I've been looking at getting one of these pens myself in midnight blue. The threads inside the cap are made of the same acrylic resin material as the rest of the pen, but it shouldn't be a problem if you don't make a habit of overtightening the cap. Still, I can understand your concern about the possibiliy of the cap cracking one day especially if one overtightens it. Perhaps Conklin could consider re-positioning the band toward the lip of the cap the way Pelikan does on their pens in order to reinforce it?

About the flow. I've discovered that Conklin feeds are a bit finicky so you may want to flush it out well with a drop of mild dishwashing liquid in a cup with water and avoid heavily saturated or slow flowing inks. Both my Mark Twain (filled with PR American Blue) and Duragraph (filled with PR Lake Placid Blue) began exhibiting the same issues as your Word Gauge. I had to flush them out a couple of times with soapy water, then flush again with clean water and switched to Waterman Florida Blue. I'm happy to say that there are no more problems with ink flow.
Posted Image Bendita mi tierra guanche.

#3 inkyfingers

inkyfingers

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 23:16

Thanks!
-Mike

#4 rak

rak

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 00:30

Beautiful pen. The color of the pen is very nice. I really like the two tone nib.
My understanding is that Conklin has their nibs made in Germany. I think that Bock makes the nibs. It looks like I will have to put the Word Gauge on my wish list as well.

Klaus

#5 Roger

Roger

FILCAO's Columbia. Photo:www.tryphon.it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:01

Thanks for a good, fun review to read. Was the paper really blue?
Roger
Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

#6 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:03

Inkyfingers,

Thanks for the review. I had been wondering about this pen lately and soliciting feedback from you. Great timing and a great look at the pen. Enjoy!
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#7 inkyfingers

inkyfingers

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 15:38

Thanks for a good, fun review to read. Was the paper really blue?

Alas, no. It's a bright white paper, but I snapped the photos under the cover of my front porch in the shade. I'm not a skilled photographer. :bonk:
-Mike

#8 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,028 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 22:55

Looks like a nice pen :thumbup:  :thumbup: Was it made by stipula?? Remembers be a bit of the vedo

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

|