What if Sheaffer re-introduced the Targa

PenHero

Should Sheaffer bring back the Targa?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sheaffer bring back the Targa?

• Yes! Bring back the original!
    • Yes! Update it!
    • Yes! Surprise me!
    • What's a Targa?

This pen, jade green barrel and section, inlaid nib, and gold cap. That would be it.

Enjoy,

Hans.

So I say: make the reintroduced Targa the resin-barreled/metal-cap Sheaffer (besides the Opalite Crest) that actually gets into production. The metal cap (I might add a contrasting cap band in the manner of the old Sentinel) would pay homage to the Targa's jewelry heritage, and the resin barrel would be utterly contemporary.

post-2029-1188484807_thumb.jpg

smilehttp://home.kpn.nl/geele160/pinno.gifand enjoy the moment

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• bushellk

• bernie

• POE

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hated them. I think they're cold and stark, tubular and not graceful at all. They don't deserve inlaid nibs! Bring back: ANYTHING BUT TARGA! The only thing worse than a Targa is that crummy cartridge pen called Valor.

Edited by rivieraranch

Out of all the pens they should bring back I'd say bring back the Imperial, that pen was a beauty. It was cheap and looked wonderful with the inlaid nib.

Brad

I vote "No", bring back something else instead.

1) Targas were/are too thin for me.

2) With their straight tube styling they look like the FP equivalent of the stick ballpoint.

3) The painted on finishes (sorry lacquer) did not say "quality" to me. Maybe I've just seen too many chipped ones for sale at antique stores.

Hallo

I have 2 Targas. I like the balance and the nib. Its simply a pleasure to write with them.

I would like to see it reintroduced in a wide range of finishes with both cheap and

expensive models. I think it should be marketed in a similar way to the Parker

Sonnet.

If there are any "re-introductory" offers please let me know. Since I am hard up

at the moment (I'm scared to check my bank balance), think of me as a client

for the Targas with a fine nib in the $40-60 range

Yours

Chaim Seymour

Israel

Chaim Seymour

David Elazar 8

Givat Shemuel

Israel

The Targas that I've seen were too slim for me to want to use as a regular writer, but I haven't seen a lot of them. If they release a Targa II, I'd like to see somewhat wider bodies. I would prefer a wider range of styles and prices. There should be stainless steel and 14K nibs available. The Targa was nice, but, too me, not among the most exciting Sheaffers made. I would be inclined to buy one, if I found one that caught my fancy.

I know the Targa LOOKS cold, but it is oh so wonderful in the hand. Even the stainless version just seems to hug my fingers back. I hope it returns.

This is my first post on this forum, and what a wonderful possibility! I have been a fountain pen freak for years, starting with three s/s Targas with s/s nibs (one full size, 2 slim). For work-related reasons, I had to give up fountain pens for about 8 years, and during that time my three Targas evaporated (I still hope I will find them somewhere in a still-packed carton in the attic, but hope grows ever dimmer).

Anyway, by the time I reached a point where I could start using fountain pens, mine were AWOL. Several years passed, and then I discovered eBay. Over the last 2 1/2 years, I have accumulated 5 Targas in various finishes. (The process is even slower because I prefer an XF nib.) I am not a collector; I use my pens daily, and smile at them every time.

Back when I was in elementary school (1960s), we were required to use cartridge pens starting in about 5th grade. It got a little inky sometimes, but some of us got hooked and stayed hooked. Now kids barely use a pen at all any more - keyboarding is the essential skill, not penmanship.

So - if Sheaffer does bring the Targa back, it should consider the impecunious who can't afford to spend $300 and up for a pen. At that point, you're selling to the choir. Offer a less expensive Targa (possibly resin? Naah - stick with the brushed s/s for entry level) with a s/s nib for $50-$75 or so, get 'em hooked on fountain pens in general and Targa in particular, and then have the more expensive finishes available for higher prices. I know that when I bought my first Targa, I thought about it for weeks before spending that much money on a single pen. I couldn't have bought the Regency Stripe or the blue lacque I use now. If SHeaffer doesn't provide an entry level Targa, us hard-core fountain penners will eventually die off - and there will be no new ones in the pipeline.

Started out to be 2 cents, turned out to be at least $1.25 -

njomd

Wow Jim what terrific news. Just when I was depressed about the demise of the FM plant we have this news. I'm glad to see Bic wants to keep the "brand" in the forefront and not just use the name. I have recently purchased 3 Targas. A sterling p/p set and a fluted goldplated fountain pen and I really love the pens. I lwould love to see a new Targa with maybe some slight updating but stay true to the original design. I too would love to see them bring back the snorkel or the other classic filling systems instead of the old cartridge/converter afterthought. The snorkel was revolutionary and should still be in production IMHO.

I was just daydreaming the other day about how good it would be to see regular production Balances, Targas, Flattops etc but with levers, snorkels etc so your email is kind of surreal. Ever since the 7th grade when my mom bought me a Sheaffer ballpoint for back to school have I been a fan of the brand and now all it's history. I just started collecting again so this comes at a great time; so far besides the 3 Targas I've purchased a Legacy I, a modern Balance and 2 vintage Balances.

I say bring on the Targas!! And don't stop there!!!

Thanks for sharing.

BTW how long do you think the nibs will continue to be made in Iowa?

Thanks,

Jimbones

• 3 weeks later...

My vote was to bring back the Targa but perhaps in the spirit of the original and not necessarily exactly like the Targa appeared for 2½ decades. Keep in mind that Sheaffer introduced the slim Targa which reflected the spirit of the original but was different. Remember, also that Sheaffer produced the Targa in a wide variety of finishes and materials; and with both the superlative gold inlaid nib and a steel inlaid nib. An Australian pen I saw a photo of had an opal on the cap end. Nice variation.

Further variations on the theme are quite consistent with Sheaffer's original design.

I consider the Targa to be one of the best pens ever made -- by anybody, anywhere, any time. The real joy of a Sheaffer Targa is the quality of workmanship and materials. It's a solid pen that works year after year after year.

Let me emphasize to Bic that production of pens at places other than Fort Madison leave a lot to be desired. Quality control is unacceptably poor.

Bic will need to deliver consistent quality if the Sheaffer Targa line is to be re-introduced.

All,

Thanks for the great responses!

I've passed this and other responses back to Sheaffer for their review. They are serious about the Targa and I hope to hear more in the coming months.

As to the nib unit, Sheaffer is still making them in Fort Madison. No one else has been able to do it.

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

• 3 weeks later...

All,

As to the nib unit, Sheaffer is still making them in Fort Madison. No one else has been able to do it.

Jim-

I always liked the Targa- It's incredible (and wonderful) to learn the inlaid nibs are still made in FM. I wonder if Sheaffer is training new workers to keep the skills alive?

Jim A Williams

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late to the reply - but I would be very interested in an 'entry level' Targa. Better yet, I'd love to see a reintroduction of the Triumph Imperials that were manufactured during the 1990s. (I have a couple of '440s' that I use as daily writers, and would love to know that I could replace - or simply have similar on hand - in case of accidents, etc.)

I'm not much of a collector/high end type of user - but I do so love the imperial styles, even in the lower end/entry level models.

Fellow collectors,

I've been discussing with Sheaffer's USA distributor about a reintroduction of the Targa as a regular production pen line (not as a one-off special edition). The Targa is one of Sheaffer's iconic pens, having a nearly quarter century run, and was offered in more finishes than many other pens ever made.

Sheaffer is very seriously considering re-introducing the Targa and would like input from pen collectors as well as those not familiar with this pen.

post-225-1188428461_thumb.jpg

Sheaffer Targa in sterling silver

Please consider the following as possibilities:

1. The Targa is reintroduced as the same pen - no changes in size, nib unit, materials or style. Classic and new finishes are part of the line. It's essentially a reissued classic.

2. The Targa is updated - same size, nib unit, materials and style but some updating changes made, so the pen is clearly the same pen, with possibly an updated cap top or clip, for example.

3. The Targa is rethought - visually the same concept, but the pen could be longer, wider, made of resin, etc. Think Parker 100 to the Parker 51.

Second, where would you position the new Targa?

1. Wide range, priced from low cost steel nib pens in the top of the Prelude price range through super high end solid gold pens (essentially as before).

2. Between the Prelude and Legacy in price ($100-$300 price range).

3. Super premium, in terms of finish and availability ($300-$1000 and up).

Your comments are really going to be brought back to Sheaffer, so please consider this as an opportunity to give feedback on bringing back one of the prized pens of the last 30 years.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Jim Mamoulides

www.PenHero.com

Sheaffer Targa needs no changes. It was and still is the perfect pen. I am very sure that Sheaffer would make a lot of money by reintroducing this masterpiece which is very presentable, affordable and reliable. Surely, they can sell one of these for less than $100.00 and still make money.

Sigh.

Triumphs are nice but: :hmm1:

What if they brought back the thinner snorkels with the Triumph nibs (not the big PFMs)?

I would get really excited about that! :puddle:

I am addicted to the snorkel pens, too. I am collecting as many as possible. I would like to see the snorkel be remade. The snorkel is the coolest pen. I hate cartridge/converters and don't buy them.

• 3 weeks later...

I would buy all the Targa models that would be produced of course if they would market it with a resonable price.

Targa was always my favorite inlaid nib model and second only to the Snorkel as my favorite Sheaffer pens.

Respect to all

• 5 weeks later...

The Targa was a superb writer and quite a looker.

I won a brushed steel one (1001 me thinks) in a poetry contest in 1984

I would love to have another one!

I would like some updated targa, with the same basic models: steel, gold trim, matte black, chrome but since FP have become more a luxury item in the last years a lacquer/gold version or some special editions will probably make sense as well.

As per the price range I think they can have the standard in the 100-200 range and some premium ones in the 300+ range