Benison

I am a new FPN'er but a long time FP user.  I have a total Parker fetish, mainly 51s, but with a bit of 61 and Sonnet on the side.

Jim,

Only been a modern type in my brief time in the interest, but think I'd like to take a baby step into vintage. My thinking, right now, is to come up with a clean user grade 51 Aerometric F nib. It looks like that should be available, with GF cap, at around $100.00 + or -. I've heard that the aerometric is a good 1st choice. Agree?

I should be able to see a bunch of them at the SFO Pen Show in late October.

Are the GF caps hallmarked with the percentage of whatever karet gold they contain, or does the customer just accept it on faith alone?

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benison

• Maja

• Roger

• KCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maja, :doh: Oops! Sorry for the tease. I tried to load a couple shots, but the forum apparently only allows one file upload per post. Here's the other half.

David

post-31-1128129250_thumb.jpg

David, welcome to FPN. Enjoy your stay!

Roger, you may be able to get a user-grade 51 for well less than that; I'm waiting for a $60 beat-up GF cap Navy Gray with a fine nib from Pendemonium. I've also seen other Parker 51s under $100 -- and don't forget antique stores also.

Maja, well, not mint; it has a small nick on the section, but I think it's nicer than any I've seen yet (I'm amazed at the prices people pay for some pens with clearly heavy wear). I listed mine tonight and added other photos. I think some sellers take liberties with the condition scale, and I don't want to be one of them. I really don't know what condition to assign it, so I just took a lot of shots of it.

Jeff, thanks for the welcome. There is is a great bunch of folks on this forum.

David

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files