Benison

Hi,

Thanks for this forum. :) It looks like a great forum for those who own fountain pens! I'll admit upfront, I'm quite the novice, so I'm looking to learn (and know where to go to learn). I've read through a few of the forums, but cannot find a whole lot about the Wahl Eversharp Coronet. I want to find about where to buy & sell pens, how to find/assess values, the good auctions/dealers and those to avoid, databases on production numbers of different pens, rarity, etc. Perhaps there are discussions/info here; I'm still looking and getting used to how the forum works. :bonk:

David

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benison

• Maja

• Roger

• Mannenhitsu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi David,

It's nice to see greenhorns coming on board. <5 months ago, I came in here, nakid, barefoot with innocence galore. :D Well, that's all changed! :huh: I now feel that it is my duty to be a total bore at social gatherings, regaling all around me with the knowledge that I've gleaned from FPN, whether they wish to hear it or not. :rolleyes:

The upside, though, is that invitations have reduced, markedly, leaving more time for learning about, buying and thinking about FPs. All this, mind you, in less than 5 months and all due to my wandering in here. :lol:

Note that most of the welcomes you receive here will be remarkably AA like and there's a reason for that. :o

Enjoy!... Just funnin' ya know!

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Note that most of the welcomes you receive here will be remarkably AA like and there's a reason for that. :o

Enjoy!... Just funnin' ya know!

I have no idea what Roger means by that..

just because i've gone from one pen and one ink to about 40 of each in the last 7 years.... does not make me an addict!

Welcome to the group, David.

I hope our forums can help with all the information you want to learn. There are other forums for pen nuts and you should look through them all to find what fits or if they all fit. :)

But there are lots of good folks here with a wide range of knowledge albeit a narrow range of humour. That is, we're all rather twisted. :)

if you can find "syd the Wahlnut" then you may find more info about that particular pen. it's not one I'm familiar with.

i'll check around to see where syd's hanging out these days. Here is a topic from him back in December so you might be able to reach him by sending a PM. You can start however with posting a question in the Pen History forum re: this pen and hopefully get some answers there.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...p?showtopic=748

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Roger and KCat,

Thanks for the warm greetings! KCat, I'll look for posts from syd the Whalnut and look through the history column. :D Thanks for the suggestions!

David

Welcome aboard Benison! I've been hanging around now for a mere 4.5 months and it's been amazing. These folks are fantastic. However, heed the words of caution - it will feed your addiction :P ! In the time I've been here I've gone from zero fps to 25 with 19 bottles of ink (not counting numerous fps I've sold off). Wonderful place, wonderful people, wacky & weird hobby (but loads of fun)!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hello Benison.

I'm grasshopper, and I'm a fountain pen nut.

It's been 16 days since I bought my last pen. To celebrate this glorious achievement, a very considerate fellow member, Johnny Appleseed, will be selling a pen to me. :bonk:

Oh well. :bunny1: :bunny1: :bunny1:

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

Hello Benison.

I'm grasshopper, and I'm a fountain pen nut.

It's been 16 days since I bought my last pen. To celebrate this glorious achievement, a very considerate fellow member, Johnny Appleseed, will be selling a pen to me. :bonk:

Next time you get an offer like that, Grassy, call me first on the telephone. You need help in temptation management. :lol:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Welcome! One word of caution for you... When you ask about a particular fountain pen, everyone here is so knowledgeable that thay always compare it to several other models. So instead of thinking about and buying 1 pen, you start your must have list. Now, I spend every day lusting over pens... all because of the FPN.

Guest Denis Richard

Hi David,

welcome to FPN. I hope you will find the information you are looking for, and more. One remark though, is that the hobby is still pretty much developing, so accurate values or precise information on certain vintage models are not that easy to dig.

Enjoy the forum !

Denis.

Hi Denis and Macuser, and thanks for the greeting! :)

Follow-up:

Macuser, actually, I'm not looking to buy a Wahl Eversharp Coronet. I have had one (sitting in a jewelry box) for almost 20 years (didn't know what I had). I received it from an old friend back in the 80's before he passed away. He told me he had kept it stored for several decades, and I remember he indicated that there was something special about the pen.

Originally, I was unable to find any information about this pen -- pre Internet days -- I wasn't able to find any pictures, advertisements; I found nothing. I didn't even know it was called the "Coronet" until a couple days ago. So, the pen sat, and every once in a blue moon I'd open the box, look at it and admire it and then it would go back into the dark for several more years of hibernation.

Jump ahead two decades. In three days of hunting around on the Internet -- nothing on this forum except two minor references from the Wahlnut -- I was able to find a handful of pics and references to this pen. It seems to be a scarce commodity, and there seems to be some interest in the pen in certain circles. It was made around 1936-40. There is none for sale that I can find anywhere, but I was able to find three or four old auctions listing one. I found a couple pen "dealer" websites that mention they specialize in the Coronet (among other pens), but nobody seems to have one. I found a couple sites that have histories on Wahl Eversharp fountain pens, and they have blue links to pictures of different ones, but not for the Coronet. That's it; just a few pictures and references, and one romantic story (link below). The apparent scarcity of information and low availability on the market makes me wonder, were production numbers very low, or perhaps those remaining are in collections and thusly rarely come on the market?

In case anyone is interested, yesterday I found one website article -- link directly below -- repleat with photographs and a love story about one woman's search to find this pen -- wow, such romance! It made me smile. :)

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/archive/jan03/04cor.htm

David

Hi David

....and welcome to FPN :D

Yes, the Coronets are an uncommon (dare I say "rare"?) Wahl Eversharp pen model. I'm no expert but tonight I took a gander at my 2004 edition of Paul Erano's Fountain Pens: Past and Present reference book and found some info for you. I spotted a Wahl Eversharp Coronet fountain pen (length: 5 1/16") from 1936 with a "green webbed plastic" barrel and gold-fill cap that was priced at $250-$350 (USD). It looks similar to the middle pen in this photo from Penhero.com ...

I then leafed through another pen book of mine--the 1998 (2nd) edition of Fischler and Schneider's Fountain Pens and Pencils (a/k/a "The Blue Book" ;) ) and found several different Coronet pens pictured:

--a Coronet goldfilled (cap & body are goldfilled) pen & pencil set: $300-$500 (USD)

--a Coronet gold-filled cap & plastic bodied pen & pencil set : $250-$400 (USD)

--a Coronet pen with a gold-filled cap and plastic body: $250-$350 (USD)

--a Coronet pen with a rhodium-plated cap and plastic body: $250-$350 (USD)

So, as you can see, the Coronet pens are worth a pretty penny...and they are gorgeous pens :drool:

Hope this helps!

Found a site that is/was selling a couple of Coronets--Gary & Myrna Lehrer's GoPens.com

Link to the particular catalog here. Check out items #204 and 205 (photo here). I have no affiliation to the site--except as a happy customer-- but they always have wonderful items for sale :drool:

Edited by Maja

Maja,

Thank you for the reply and the links! :) When I first began this search I had no idea of the rarity of the Coronet. Coincidentally, after I began looking for info on my pen last week, one came up for auction on eBay. Someone has an Eversharp Coronet at auction -- looks nice, but it is engraved and "reconditioned" with replacement (non-adjustible) nib, going for $710 at this point: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6556254720

I'm not sure what the reconditioning and replacement nib does to value (apparently not much) but mine appears as all original -- has original flexible nib with the (adjustible) chrome slider (as shown in the Stylophiles photos link in my post above) and it has no personal engravings. I would assume this condition is even more rare. Makes me wonder what mine would go for should I decide to sell it. :eureka: Hmmm. This is getting exciting! :bunny1:

David

Hi David and welcome to the Little Fountain Pen "Nuthouse" on the Web! I am sure you will develop a fine addiction in no time at all if you hang around in these forums. Half the fun of collecting fine writing instruments is trying various types of inks that are available. I am sure you will find something to your liking very soon! :)

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

• 2 weeks later...
Maja,

Thank you for the reply and the links!    :) When I first began this search I had no idea of the rarity of the Coronet.  Coincidentally, after I began looking for info on my pen last week, one came up for auction on eBay.  Someone has an Eversharp  Coronet at auction -- looks nice, but it is engraved and "reconditioned" with replacement (non-adjustible) nib, going for $710 at this point: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6556254720 

I'm not sure what the reconditioning and replacement nib does to value (apparently not much) but mine appears as all original -- has original flexible nib with the (adjustible) chrome slider (as shown in the Stylophiles photos link in my post above) and it has no personal engravings.  I would assume this condition is even more rare.  Makes me wonder what mine would go for should I decide to sell it.  :eureka:  Hmmm.  This is getting exciting!  :bunny1:

David

Hi again David,

Well the seller of that Ebay pen is Berliner Pen in NYC (I believe) and they do fine pen repair work, so the reconditioning (which just means "restoration") in question is not necessarily a drawback, given that the pen in question has no cracks, etc. They most likely just re-sacked it and changed the nib (I don't know the particulars, however). I bought a lovely Green Marine Sheaffer Balance from Bernie at Berliner Pen back in 2003....)

As for the replacement nib, vintage Eversharp Skyline nibs are usually really good writers, but having the original (or original type of) nib on the pen would make it even more valuable... Personal engravings usually lower the price of a pen, as well, so it sounds like the pen you have is worth a fair amount (assuming it has no dings--dents--etc.)!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ron and Maja,

I'm sorry for so long in replying to your posts; it has been a busy three weeks to say the least. Time, as well as other considerations give way to the decision that this is not the time for me to to begin a pen collection, although I was truly fascinated with all the knowledge I learned about old fountain pens over the past month or so. With that said, I've decided to sell my Coronet, although I must say I have had vascillations. But, a true collector deserves this pen, so I'm putting it on the market.

Thanks again to all for the warm welcomes and information.

David

Welcome David,

I am a new FPN'er but a long time FP user. I have a total Parker fetish, mainly 51s, but with a bit of 61 and Sonnet on the side.

However a few on this board are trying to convert me to Sheaffer and now Pelikan.

Enjoy your stay, buy a 51, who knows you may enjoy the experience :rolleyes:

Regards,

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Thanks Maja. Most likely it'll probably begin next Sunday on eBay.

Hi Jim, Thanks for the tip on the Parker 51. I'm sure you know Parker took over Wahl Eversharp in the 50's. ;) My brushed alloy user Sheaffer FP hasn't seen ink in a long time; I was never crazy about it, so I might just pick up a Parker. I used a Parker -- dare I say it -- ball point pen for many years. I loved it (even after I lost it) :doh:.

David

post-31-1128027096_thumb.jpg

Edited by Benison