My first vintage Scheaffer - Keith is right!

HesNot

I just today received a vintage Scheaffer Admiral touchdown filler - forest green with a nice medium/broad feathertouch #5 nib, and am amazed at the quality of these pens for their current market values. It filled perfectly, writes quite smoothly with some flex, has clarity in the visulated section and generally is solidly constructed. It isn't flawless but no brassing or major wear. Anyway in another thread Keith spoke of the value of vintage Scheaffers and I have to agree with him that I cannot imagine a better writing or performing pen for the price!

I may have just been converted ;)

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HesNot

• Keith with a capital K

• KendallJ

• Roger

Top Posters In This Topic

"I may have just been converted ;) "

Can I hear an amen from the congregation?

I am quite pleased that you thought my views (and probably many others) on vintage Sheaffers and their value was correct although too much of this thinking is going to drive prices through the roof. :lol:

I just happen to be packing a vintage 50's Sheaffer Craftsman TD filler with me today and have to say, they are a fabulous pen. I found this one in such good condition I expected it to still have it's original price sticker but then again, even after many decades of use, these pens keep looking just as good as the day they were new.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Amen! I did buy it on a whim after reading some of the things said here and the price was simply too good to pass up (admittedly I got a really good deal on it). Even at prevailing prices this would be a value. I'll keep my mouth shut, though, and not evangelize too much or we'll all be paying too much ;)

Now, get to smoothing that nib just a triffle so you'll be saying that it writes extremely smoothly!

Part of that is the user since I've mostly used fine and extra fine nibs with little flex I'm still getting used to the increased variation from the slight flex and the broader nib. I'll have to get a few Pilot Varsities to practice the smoothing before I touch this one - it is already too good for me to mess it up!

Now if I can just find that "51" I've been seeking I can call it quits for a little while since my budget is about gone...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

This might sound like heresy to those who worship at the "51" altar but I really prefer my Sheaffer Snorkels and TD fillers and their open nibs. The debate on whether the "51" is superior to the Snorkel (and vice versa) will endure long after we've passed on although for the record, I lean pretty heavily towards those Sheaffers.

The little bit of flex in those #5 Feathertouch nibs is what makes me choose them over their Triumph nibbed brethren which are, for the most part, pretty stiff.

There are exceptions as I have handled Snorkels with semi-flexible Triumph nibs... these are hard to find and will command a premium in most cases.

Before I'm crucified I will say the "51" really is a great pen and everyone should have at least one.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Keith - I have never used a "51" and have targeted one for a variety of reasons - not the least of which is simply to try one out. One thing I do for part of my job is document review which means fairly long spells between writing. Pretty much all my other pens I have to recap to keep from starting a little hard and I've wondered if the "51" design might make that daily task a little easier.

Maybe I'll stick to a real user grade for my first "51" in case it doesn't move me like it does so many others ...

"I may have just been converted ;) "

Can I hear an amen from the congregation?

Amen! bother.

HesNot if you get really addicted, I'll send you my spreadsheet listing the myriad of combintations you can start collecting. :P

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Kendall - I'm sure my wife will really appreciate that! ;) I did notice at penhero or richard binders site that there are a dizzying array of versions in vintage Scheaffers.

BTW - is that a miniature or standard in your avatar? Completely off topic but my wife and I welcoming a 3 yo miniature into our family in about 10 days. Long story of how we've come to be her adopted parents but we're looking forward to her arrival - they're fun dogs with great personalities.

Std. Love poodles. They are the best. I bet your mini will be as well!

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

There are exceptions as I have handled Snorkels with semi-flexible Triumph nibs...

Not snorkels, but I have two touchdowns with flex and semi-flex nibs. One is a TM Sentinal in black that I would describe as a full-flex, medium nib with a Richard Binder ball nib - EF on the reverse - one of my definite keepers. The other is a semi-flex fine 1st year touchdown that I have been considering putting up on the Marketplace.

This might sound like heresy to those who worship at the "51" altar but I really prefer my Sheaffer Snorkels and TD fillers and their open nibs. The debate on whether the "51" is superior to the Snorkel (and vice versa) will endure long after we've passed on although for the record, I lean pretty heavily towards those Sheaffers.

I would agree as well, though every time I use my 51 I think what a great writer it is. It may even be a better writer than my (many) snorks and TDs. However, there is something aesthetic about the Snorks that leads me to have a collection of those, and only one 51 (which usually sits in my bag as a trusty backup pen). I have a small hypothesis as to why, but will save that for a topic of it's own ;) .

One thing I do for part of my job is document review which means fairly long spells between writing. Pretty much all my other pens I have to recap to keep from starting a little hard and I've wondered if the "51" design might make that daily task a little easier.

You won't be disappointed. I often use it to take meeting notes at work - it's always ready to go, even during long pauses between notes.

J. Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"