The customer requested

Eagle

I made this one for Wm F. Buckley's niece a while back.The pen was to be an anniversary gift for her husband.

The pattern is called herringbone.

She specifically asked that as much metal be "disguised" to show off the wood.

Woods used are what I call "common" walnut cherry and mahogany with bocote accents.

I also made a presentation box and had a plaque made with her choice of inscription,

"To have and to hold"( remember it was an anniversary present.)

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/294/294111/folders/241249/1934696herringbonefinished014.jpg

This pen is rather large and does not post

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/294/294111/folders/241249/1934704herringbonefinished008.jpg

Thanks for looking comments /critiques welcomed

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art". -- Leonardo da Vinci

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eagle

• Ruaidhri

• PAKMAN

• amh210

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather curious - the wood on the end piece and cap end - looks a little like Bocote?

If not please do tell :)

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Rather curious - the wood on the end piece and cap end - looks a little like Bocote?

If not please do tell :)

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Yes, I used bocote on both the end and the CB.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art". -- Leonardo da Vinci

Nice work!! Love the patern!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

How do you make the blank to come up with that patern when turned?

Edited by pakmanpony

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Very nice work indeed. Any chance of seeing more of your work?

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

How do you make the blank to come up with that patern when turned?

By experimenting.It is quite intriguing to come up with an idea and spend a lot of time cutting and gluing in the square and then turning it round to see if your idea works.

I cannot recall the last time I turned a pen using a solid material,

There are enough doing that.

For me making a pen is the entire process,design, selection of materials, testing to see if a concept works, not just drilling a hole and turning the pen and making it shiny.

I have a disdain for laser and CNC work there are too many computers in our life as it is.I would rather be a craftsman than a "production turner"

I guess it is the A.D.D. in me.

To have someone else put "artwork" on my pens to make it special is much like what the mfgrs do and I am not trying to compete with them.

All of the pens I make are "limited editions" rarely do I make 2 exactly alike.

Very nice work indeed. Any chance of seeing more of your work?

Thank you very much.

I have a couple of others posted in this forum and will upload others as time permits.

I am presently working on getting a website set up for now I will put a feew more here.

Again thanks

edit in Penturning has becaome extremely popular over recent years.Many do it I believe because they are intimidated by full scale woodworking machines.

I do all my work with tools that would be found in the most basic home shop.

I have enjoyed working with wood for 30 years. Crafting pens of my own patterns using woods and other materials allows me to make pens that are "different" from the masses, not necessarily any better than anyone elses.

I enjoy looking at pens regardless whether they are made of acrylics or resins with their beautiful colors or even corn cobs with a natural pattern the nature gives them.

I choose to work in woods and materials that I can meld together to make a useful object that is pleasing(I hope) to the eye.

The key to any quality piece of wood work is the finish.Protecting the surface and enhancing the appearance.

Edited by Eagle

I have a disdain for laser and CNC work there are too many computers in our life as it is.I would rather be a craftsman than a "production turner"

To have someone else put "artwork" on my pens to make it special is much like what the mfgrs do and I am not trying to compete with them.

While I personally prefer hand work, this strikes me as a bit heavy-handed ;)

You may be assuming that the artwork is provided by the engraver?

On a more humble note we often joke at guild meetings that the reason our stuff is all unique is because we are not accurate enough to make two the same :D

The main thing is to have a bit of fun, and if someone wants to buy a pen then hurrah :)

Before I go I should also point out that:

1. The only person I know here who uses engraving does his own designs (and really well)
  2. My own machines are most definitely NOT CNC

Cheers,

Ruaidhrí

While I personally prefer hand work, this strikes me as a bit heavy-handed ;)

You may be assuming that the artwork is provided by the engraver?

On a more humble note we often joke at guild meetings that the reason our stuff is all unique is because we are not accurate enough to make two the same :D

The main thing is to have a bit of fun, and if someone wants to buy a pen then hurrah :)

Before I go I should also point out that:

1. The only person I know here who uses engraving does his own designs (and really well)
  2. My own machines are most definitely NOT CNC
Cheers,

Ruaidhrí

Though I appreciate your remarks please note the quotation I use for my signature.

I think it best expresses my feelings about computerized "art".

When I first started out making blanks for pens in designs using methods of my own devices, I did not aspire to create "art".To this day I still don't call my work art.I try to make a utilitarian device that is useful and pleasing to the eye.

I have been accused of being an artist but to date I still work in a shed that was supposed to hold my riding lawn mower and I have not traded in my engineers cap for a beret.

Stop and think about it. Every plate used by the beaurau of engraging for every bill and every die used for every coin, the masters are all hand cut and engraved.

A lazer cut picture on a pen and then color filled is not craftsmanship it is a computer generated picture.

Though I appreciate your remarks please note the quotation I use for my signature.

When I first started out making blanks for pens in designs using methods of my own devices, I did not aspire to create "art".To this day I still don't call my work art.I try to make a utilitarian device that is useful and pleasing to the eye.

I have been accused of being an artist but to date I still work in a shed that was supposed to hold my riding lawn mower and I have not traded in my engineers cap for a beret.

Stop and think about it. Every plate used by the beaurau of engraging for every bill and every die used for every coin, the masters are all hand cut and engraved.

A lazer cut picture on a pen and then color filled is not craftsmanship it is a computer generated picture.

Just a few brief (-ish) points:

• Your use of the quotes around art - ...computerised "art" has its own implications.
  • Whether you call your own work art or not is really immaterial. Arguments have raged for years in Woodturning and a host of other publications without a definitive answer.
  • I'm afraid you are completely mistaken in your final two paragraphs - the original artwork is the subject of this discussion, not the methods used to realise it.
  • Da Vinci was a lousy woodturner :D

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

BTW - there are three Ruaidhrís on FPN

One is my son, Ruaidhrí jnr

One is myself Ruaidhrí (member), slightly doddery and with a good sense of humour

One is Ruaidhrí (admin). This chappie has zero sense of humour and has radical reactions to attempts to start flame wars. Not that any of that applies in this case.

Just a few brief (-ish) points:

• Your use of the quotes around art - ...computerised "art" has its own implications.
  • Whether you call your own work art or not is really immaterial. Arguments have raged for years in Woodturning and a host of other publications without a definitive answer.
  • I'm afraid you are completely mistaken in your final two paragraphs - the original artwork is the subject of this discussion, not the methods used to realise it.
  • Da Vinci was a lousy woodturner :D
Regards,

Ruaidhrí

BTW - there are three Ruaidhrís on FPN

One is my son, Ruaidhrí jnr

One is myself Ruaidhrí (member), slightly doddery and with a good sense of humour

One is Ruaidhrí (admin). This chappie has zero sense of humour and has radical reactions to attempts to start flame wars. Not that any of that applies in this case.

Not trying to start any wars.

I stand by my statements.

All work done on the pens I make is my own, no one else touches them.