Blackwing 602 Pencils

I can't speak for other Blackwing fans, but these pencils are just a pleasure to write with. They are very, very smooth. You can write so quickly with them, and for so long without fatigue. It's effortless. It feels like you are using a well-tuned fountain pen, on smooth plastic paper. It leaves a solid line with only the pressure from gravity.

I have some nice fountain pens - two very nice Pelikan M600's which I love, many Parker 51's, a Namiki Falcon, and a few others. I prefer the Blackwing pencil to them all for writing anything more than a few pages. And I prefer pen. It's just that I don't think of the Blackwing as a pencil. It's something different.

If I were rich, I'd buy the lot of 10 Blackwings on ebay and give each of those here interested in them one to try.

I would be very interested to hear what someone who hasn't heard of the Blackwing thinks after trying one. Their allure may be mostly psychological.

The Palomino is just as good if you're not writing for a long time. They do go dull very quick. I sharpen about 10 of them when I'm writing in pencil, whereas with the Blackwing, I'd sharpen just a few. But that may be because I consciously conserve my Blackwings. And write them down to a nub.

With a $30 pencil, you sharpen *very* carefully.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adair

• ramshacklemann

• BillTheEditor

• shoog10023

FSM, you are absolutely right. The Blackwing is more like a fountain pen than a traditional pencil (not to be confused, however, with the dreadful NOBLOT pencil, which claims to be a pot of ink in a pencil...). As a writing tool, the Blackwing is in the same league as Pelikan, Faber-Castell, Parker 51 and the other quality pens. It is truly unfortunate that Sanford/Papermate chooses not to listen to the many customers who are begging for the return of this superb instrument.

Todd, do you really buy their story that the crimping machine cannot be restored? It seems terribly short-sighted of Sanford/Papermate not to see the potential profit in resurrecting the Blackwing: if there are so many people willing to pay outrageous prices for old stock, just imagine how a new, reasonably priced version would sell. I don't believe that these pencils are merely being collected: writers, composers and artists really use them. There is a need for this pencil. If it were available again, even as a boutique pencil, slightly more expensive than other Sanford/Papermate lines, it would still prove successful and well worth rebuilding that crimping machine.

If I understand the history correctly, the machine was broken when the product line was taken over by Sanford. The equipment was sold for scrap and they continued selling them until they ran out of parts. The Blackwing wasn't the only pencil that used the square eraser, just the last one in production that did.

Doug Martin of www.pencilpages.com has directly spoken with the folks at the factory and I got the story from him first hand.

I know a number of artists that use them until they are short little stubs. There is a demand but it must not be enough to remake them. The Turquoise 4B is very very close. The addition of the wax makes the writing smooth and dark. If what the rep here tells me, that was also a problem and the main difference now is the reduced wax content of the graphite blend.

Just for fun I worked the crossword last night with a blackwing. Still a good pencil.

Bottom line, products come and go. I suppose compared to sales of the standard #2 Ticonderoga it just wasn't worth it. I guess one could compare a common FP to the clic bic. Economy of scale with the ball points just won out.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

In my opinion, the Turquoise is a vastly less interesting pencil and does not have the smooth feel or line of the Blackwing. Its barrel is thinner and lacks the Blackwing's tactile quality. It actually surprises me that the Turquoise is still being produced. If there is sufficient demand to justify continued production of a pencil as mediocre as the Turquoise, surely there is enough to justify the rebirth of the Blackwing, a pencil that every artist, writer and composer yearns to have. I'd bet that the Turquoise could die quietly and few would raise a furor like they have at the demise of the Blackwing. I believe everything that you are saying, Todd, and I appreciate it, but I just can't help feeling that Sanford/Papermate are missing a wonderful opportunity here.

There's an auction on ebay for 10 of the Blackwing pencils - does anyone want to go in for half? I'd be willing to pay $20/pencil for up to five of them. The auction for those interested:

Any other pencil suggestions for a Blackwing fan?

I've heard of these pencils before, never had one. I do not think that I'll be spending $20 for a wood cased pencil any time soon.

I will, however, partake of the special that Staples is running this week:

Dixon® #2 yellow pencils

8/PACK

Valid Aug 26 - Sep 1

One eighth of a cent for a pencil. Yeah. that's more my speed. As if I need more wood case pencils! I like pencils almost as much as I like fountain pens. I spent some time writing almost exclusively with pencils. And they were vintage pencils, all right. I was using Mongol 482s from the '50s or earlier. And those old pencils are definitely superior to the new ones. I have, shall we say, more pencils than I will ever live long enough to use.

I have the Palomino, but no black wing. I think there are differences in pencils, just as they are in pens. That's why I have a variety of both writing instruments, including pencil sharpeners. Pencil Revolution is a great site for information regarding the Black Wing and pencil related info. Beware, you might get addicted to pencils, too. :headsmack:

Too late for me! A soft lead pencil on a sheet of paper that's on a clip board is really something I like. Not quite as good as a fountain pen on the reverse of a page that I've already written on, but a ssensuous pleasure indeed :puddle: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Back seven or eight years ago, I read about the famous Blackwing in the Petroski book ("The Pencil"). I went to my local stationery store (remember when we had those?) and ordered six boxes. I think I paid 5 or 6 bucks for each box.

Around that time they went out of production, so I just held on to my remaining boxes. A few years later I sold the five boxes I had left to a designer for about $275! And he was happy to pay it. I loved the pencils, but he loved them a lot more than I did. They were a great-writing pencil, but the erasers were worthless: hard as brick and besides, you can use any eraser you want on a Blackwing mark and it will smear horribly.

It's sad to see what has become of the high-quality general writing pencil. My favorite Ticonderogas all seem to be Hecho en Mexico today, and it shows--look at the quality of the paint on the pencil and ferrule. I'll switch back to the Black Warrior, a classy-looking pencil still made in the US. I stopped using them when PaperMate put the goofy hearts on them, but I think those are gone now. (I also have five boxes left of vintage USA-made Mongols that I like using. Don't buy the Mongols made in the Phillipines; they are nowhere near the quality of the old ones made in the US.)

Dixon® #2 yellow pencils 1¢ 8/PACK Valid Aug 26 - Sep 1

You get what you pay for. Made in China.

Good luck with your penciling,

Don

They were a great-writing pencil, but the erasers were worthless: hard as brick and besides, you can use any eraser you want on a Blackwing mark and it will smear horribly.

It's sad to see what has become of the high-quality general writing pencil.

You get what you pay for. Made in China.

I don't want to bash any country's products in general.

But if the super duper $20/each pencil has a "worthless" eraser and erasing the Blackwing mark will cause it to "smear horribly", exactly what do you get for your $20?

It sounds to me like the 1/8¢/each pencil is a far better value.

Maybe the price break is a $1/each pencil ....

But if the super duper $20/each pencil has a "worthless" eraser and erasing the Blackwing mark will cause it to "smear horribly", exactly what do you get for your $20?

Beats me. That's why I was selling them. They are ONLY pencils, fer cryin' out loud.

Rationality flies out the window when an item becomes scarce or unavailable. Savvy salespeople use this "scarcity principle" all the time. What I find amusing is that the guy who will pay you $20 each would have laughed in your face had you offered the same pencils to him for a buck each, five minutes before the news got out that Sanford was no longer making them.

Beats me. That's why I was selling them. They are ONLY pencils, fer cryin' out loud.

Rationality flies out the window when an item becomes scarce or unavailable. Savvy salespeople use this "scarcity principle" all the time. What I find amusing is that the guy who will pay you $20 each would have laughed in your face had you offered the same pencils to him for a buck each, five minutes before the news got out that Sanford was no longer making them.

AHA!! That's why they've been discontinued. Someone high-ranking at Sanford has a stockpile of Blackwings and is selling them for a huge profit under an intricate web of aliases. Once this stockpile is depleted, Sanford will start production again. :ltcapd:

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

The last time that I checked, the ugly Papermate hearts were still on the barrel of the Black Warrior. I'm glad to hear that this has changed. I will be on the lookout for the "heartless" version. As for the Ticonderoga, I thought that it was still made in the USA. The Philipine Mongols may not be as great as the vintage American ones of the 1950's, but they do write a nice dark line, especially the no.1.

$20 for one Blackwing really is excessive, but I repeat, it is an unbeatable writing tool. Let's keep the pressure on Sanford/Papermate and maybe...just maybe...they'll listen.

As someone who used Blackwings in the 1990s before they went out of production, I agree with Adair that we Blackwing fans should lobby Sanford to make them again. Personally, I would be happy to have it even if it had no eraser at all.

Until that happens, I am very pleased with the California Republic Palomino 2B. I have bought and tested a number of other pencils for comparison:

California Republic Palomino B & HB

Tombow 2558 HB

Tombow Mono J 3B & 4B

Mitsubishi Uni-Star 2B & 3B

Staedtler Mars Lumograph 100 2B & 4B

Sanford Turquoise 02268 (375) 4B

Koh-I-Noor Hardtmuth Toison D'Or 1900 4B

Sanford Design Ebony 14420

Sanford Noblot Ink Pencil 705

For me, the Palomino 2B is the winner in this field, with the Staedtler Mars Lumograph 100 4B as a close runner-up. The Staedtler 4B feels very similar to the Palomino, and sometimes it seems like it has a slightly smoother lead.

I would be interested in opinions from others who are searching for a pencil to approach the Blackwing.

As someone who used Blackwings in the 1990s before they went out of production, I agree with Adair that we Blackwing fans should lobby Sanford to make them again. Personally, I would be happy to have it even if it had no eraser at all.

Until that happens, I am very pleased with the California Republic Palomino 2B. I have bought and tested a number of other pencils for comparison:

Tombow 2558 HB

Tombow Mono J 3B & 4B

For me, the Palomino 2B is the winner in this field, with the Staedtler Mars Lumograph 100 4B as a close runner-up. The Staedtler 4B feels very similar to the Palomino, and sometimes it seems like it has a slightly smoother lead.

I would be interested in opinions from others who are searching for a pencil to approach the Blackwing.

If you're still in the testing mode, try the Musgrave 100 Test Scoring Pencil (http://www.pencilthings.com/servlet/Detail?no=278)

Tombow 2558 HB

Tombow Mono J 3B & 4B

If you're still in the testing mode, try the Musgrave 100 Test Scoring Pencil (http://www.pencilthings.com/servlet/Detail?no=278)

Thanks for your recommendation. I'm going to buy a dozen of those Musgrave 100's next time I place an order with PencilThings.com.

Your recommendation reminds me of another pencil recommendation from my past. I'm a composer, and about 15 years ago I asked a colleague of mine to recommend a good pencil for scoring music. He told me I should buy the IBM Electrographic, which I believe was an electronic scoring pencil like the Musgrave 100. I bought one and liked it, and then a few years later I bought 6 Blackwing 602's, which I liked even better.

Tombow 2558 HB

Tombow Mono J 3B & 4B

Thanks for your recommendation. I'm going to buy a dozen of those Musgrave 100's next time I place an order with PencilThings.com.

Your recommendation reminds me of another pencil recommendation from my past. I'm a composer, and about 15 years ago I asked a colleague of mine to recommend a good pencil for scoring music. He told me I should buy the IBM Electrographic, which I believe was an electronic scoring pencil like the Musgrave 100. I bought one and liked it, and then a few years later I bought 6 Blackwing 602's, which I liked even better.

I think I heard somewhere that Musgrave made the Electrographics for IBM, and that the Musgrave 100 is essentially the same pencil, just has a different paint job. Don't quote me, though.

I've been very pleased with the green-barreled Musgrave pencils, which are not available in stores but only through Pencil Things (or direct from the company if you are an institution). They must be one of the oldest lines of pencils still in existence in the USA (dating from the early 1900's, I think). In their green paint and lovely gold printing, they stand up nicely to the Faber-Castell 9000 and the Mitsubishi pencils, and can be had with or without erasers. If only the Blackwing had belonged to a company like Musgrave, one that really cares about and conserves its well-crafted products.

Edited by adair

I have spent a long time and a bit of money looking for an "in production" pencil that approximates the writing quality of the Blackwing. The Tombow -Mono 100 3B and 4B and the softer Palominos come the closest IMHO.

Unfortunately I understand that the Mono-100 was discontinued in about December 2005 in favour of the "Professional", which although marketed by at least one on-line stationer as being the same pencil, is a much scratchier writer and clearly uses different wood casing. The Palominos write very very well but the colour schemes don't grab me.

As for the high price and perceived uniquiness of the Blackwing, my assessment is that just as in golf there will only ever be one Jack Nicklaus regardless of the later achievements of other golfers, Blackwings have, through their associations with historic writers and artists and many positive rants on page such as the late and very lamented" Pencil Revolution" , achieved their position as "Best Pencil Ever".

Interestingly I have never read an adverse comment about the Blackwing's writing qualities. Whether that arises from their truly excellent quality or the fact that no one wants to admit that thay have paid $25+ for a dud pencil I don't know. I find them better than any pencil I have ever used and use them nearly every day at work and home .And yes I have accumulated a stash which I treasure.

Tombow 2558 HB

Tombow Mono J 3B & 4B

You get what you pay for.

Not always.

Made in China.

Yeah, maybe. Or else India or Indonesia. The latter was making Staples pencils for quite a while. I'll see where the Dixons are being made these days. The old Dixon I have in front of me was made in the U.S.A. I saw during a recent STaples visit that the Ticonderogas are made either in Mexico or China these days, I forget which. But I don't plan on eating the paint off any of them.

Good luck with your penciling,

Well thanks! I sure do have plenty of them :) .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Ticonderogas made in Mexico or China? A world has been lost...

I believe that General's Pencils are still made in Jersey City, New Jersey, with supervision by a German pencil master who once worked for Faber-Castell. General's Cedar Pointe pencils are truly wonderful. And Musgraves, of course, are still made in Shelby, Tennessee.