A Newton Review

Titivillus

About 5 years ago I bought a Delta Newton but soon after got the opportunity to get a CS Churchill so the Newton was sold and I have been regretting it ever since.

So last week I was paging through ebay and found one for sale so I put in a bid $5 more than the start and Won! So now here is my second "right from the box" review.

First Impressions. (4.5/5)

The box the pen comes in is a paper/ light cardboard cylinder about the size of a pringles can. Not quite the Baracca tube but it is nice. The top paper cap comes off to show a plastic seal that you open to get to the pen. Inside is a booklet and black velveteen wrap that is embossed with an apple and has two slots for pens. It would have been nice to be suprised by a bottle of ink in the tube but as the pen seems to be second hand I won't complain much. Everything in the packaging goes together.

The pen is a solid black with gold over silver hardware- There are beaded rings on the blind cap, body, cap lip & cap top. There is also a carbachon sapphire on the top with a small ring around it mounted so you can see light through it if you hold the cap up. The blind cap is threaded so the cap screws on making posting a breeze ( if you do that) and don't scratch the body. The vermeil hardware is interesting in that the more expensive lever fill version is silver and I'd think that the gold would find the highest level. Remember this was one of the last reasonably priced Delta LEs before they increased their prices I think msrp was $545 on this ( not that I paid anything close to that :ltcapd: .

I would almost say that this is a conservative pen until you look at the clip. The clip is a slab of metal writ large with his famous equation ( F=mA). There is a urban pen myth that the original pen was suppose to be an Einstein but they could not come to an agreement with the holders of the copyright but a prototype was photographed and used in a Newton ad with E=mc2 on the clip. :headsmack::ltcapd:

Filling mechanism (4/5)

It's a cartridge/ converter but it's a Delta converter so it gets a little higher mark as none of them have been a problem for me.

Writing (4/5)

This is my foray into thicker lines as I ususally like a F/ EF/ Needle. The medium puts down a consistent thick line that looks about as medium a width as you can get. The

Sustainability (#/5) To be filled in after a few weeks of using the pen.

Overall (4.25/5)

Let's face it this is a pen I have been wanting for awhile and it came off my OODL ( objects of desire list) into my collection by luck so it's going to have high marks. That's why I added a sustainability rating to the list, to show whether it has legs enough to stay in my collection.

Hope you enjoyed the review. And I will try to get some pic up

K

Please note that this is my review of the pen so it is chock full of my opions and emotions about the pen, don't criticize me for this as it is rather rude to believe that your opinions matter more than someone elses. If you have different opinions then please review the pen yourself. :thumbup:

Edited by Tytyvyllus

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titivillus

• PelikanPenman

• greencobra

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really just made aware of this pen recently and it's a stunner. I like the look of it a lot. It's how the MB writers series should have been handled in my opinion.

If you can manage it, can you post a writing sample? I just want to see how it compared to a Med Delta I had (that has since been turned into a 0.7 Stub by Deb Kinney.)

Enjoy the pen, glad you were able get another to replace your other one.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Nice review. One reason I enjoy the review section is that it exposes me to new pens. Question is this the Newton 1K?

Cheers.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

Nice review. One reason I enjoy the review section is that it exposes me to new pens. Question is this the Newton 1K?

Cheers.

Yes this is the 1K but not the 1K special

K

Okay, now you are going to have to explain a bit more. What is the difference between the 1k and 1k special? Also why did the 1k come out in c/c versus lever fill? And was your last one a c/c or lever fill? I am glad you have gotten back a pen that you enjoy.

Cheers.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

Okay, now you are going to have to explain a bit more. What is the difference between the 1k and 1k special? Also why did the 1k come out in c/c versus lever fill? And was your last one a c/c or lever fill? I am glad you have gotten back a pen that you enjoy.

Cheers.

Here's what I found on-line

SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION

Newton Platinum - MSRP $3200.00 : Fountain pen with diamond. Rings on cap and on body in platinum 950‰, 18Kt gold nib

Newton Celebration - MSRP $2200.00: Fountain pen with diamond. Ring on body in 18Kt solid gold, 18Kt gold nib

Newton 1K Special - MSRP $650.00: Fountain pen with sapphire. Rings on cap and on body in sterling silver 925‰, 18Kt gold nib

Newton R-2 Special - MSRP $325.00 : Rollerball pen with ruby. Rings on cap and on body in sterling silver 925‰

LIMITED EDITION

Newton 1K - MSRP $525.00 : Fountain pen with sapphire. Rings on cap and on body in vermeil*, 18Kt gold nib

filling system: Lateral lever filling system for the Platinum, Celebration and Special Limited Edition in silver.

The Limited Edition fountain pen in vermeil features the filling system with converter and cartridge.