The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

De Atramentis Merlot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 The Legend

The Legend

Serious writing

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 14:09

Well this is an interesting ink.
De Atramentis Merlot.

As all other scented Atramentis inks, this inks combines the colour with scent.
So mint will be green, coffee will be brown and merlot will be darker red.
These inks are on the thinner side so they will dry more easily but tend to feather lightly on e.g. Moleskine paper.

I have just put a shot of Merlot in my Tranparent Red Pelikan M200 with a nib form Richard Binder (ItaliFine).

During writing it is a pleasure to sniff te nib, as if you where having a glass of red wine nearby.
Especially in office situations, where you (normally) do not have a Merlot wine on your desk.
It also helps during a diet at home when writing, only with a glass of water as a permitted drink.

You do need a broader nib, such as the Pelikan, because smaller or hooded nibs (e.g. 51 or capless) cover up the scent.
I can also recommend the Erdbeere (i.e. strawberry) which took my Pelikan Madrid through the summer.

Finally, I have a scan here for you (Q-tip, Itali-side of the nib (0.9mm italic) and the F-side of the nib).
I put it down on Clairfontaine papier velouté, which combines nicely.

Edited by The Legend, 25 August 2007 - 14:14.

Keep writing.
Keep doing it and doing it.
Even in the moments when it's so hurtful to think about writing.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2007 - 14:34

Hmm, isn't this one of De Atramentis' real wine inks? They make inks from several different types of grape with resulting specific wine colours and original scents. smile.gif

http://www.de-atrame...74/tpl/-/lang/1

Addition:
Obviously Dr. Jansen has opened up his business for international sales and modernized the look of his ink line. Until recently he seemed to be reluctant to sell abroad. Also his regular ink line got new black labels and each ink colour is identified also by a number alongside its colour name.

Edited by saintsimon, 25 August 2007 - 14:44.

#3 Opus104

Opus104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 14:45

And we shall recognize you on the street by the conspicuous burgundy red nose, yes?

#4 lefty928

lefty928

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,081 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 15:08

Thank you for the look at an interesting ink! It's really helpful to see how an ink looks in a broad nib and then written finer.

And santsimon, thanks for the link -- wow, De Atramentis has really changed its Web site. This is exciting news, if dangerous for the wallet. Perhaps virtual ink swatches will be added as well.
Posted Image

#5 lalindsay225

lalindsay225

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2007 - 15:28

Wow, the variety of products on this site is fascinating! Thanks for posting about it.

Lisa
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

#6 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2007 - 15:33

Just keep in mind that many of the De Atramentis special name inks (business, sports, myth etc) are just rebadged regular ink colours.

Edited by saintsimon, 25 August 2007 - 15:37.

#7 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2007 - 15:40

QUOTE(lefty928 @ Aug 25 2007, 05:08 PM) View Post
.. Perhaps virtual ink swatches will be added as well.

Here you can find the regular colour samples with their names: http://community.fou...nt/view/184/96/

#8 Tricia

Tricia

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 905 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 18:16

QUOTE(lefty928 @ Aug 25 2007, 03:08 PM) View Post

This is exciting news, if dangerous for the wallet.

Dangerous don't begin to cover it! (Please, oh, please tell me that I'm reading the shipping costs wrong!) yikes.gif

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

#9 Margana

Margana

The Inkophile

• Member - Gold

• 2,164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2007 - 19:00

QUOTE(Tricia @ Aug 27 2007, 11:16 AM) View Post
QUOTE(lefty928 @ Aug 25 2007, 03:08 PM) View Post

This is exciting news, if dangerous for the wallet.

Dangerous don't begin to cover it! (Please, oh, please tell me that I'm reading the shipping costs wrong!) yikes.gif

No color swatches on the site? Maybe it is still a work-in-progress.

$125.60 to ship three bottles to the U.S.? I knew the dollar had weakened but that's ridiculous! sick.gif
A certified Inkophile
inkophile on tumblr, theinkophile on instagram, inkophile on twitter

#10 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2007 - 19:23

I love the two bottle of his ink I have that I got from Winedoc
BUT I'll me damned if I am going to spend 92 Euros to ship a couple of bottle to the US...
With an average price of 9.9 Euro a bottle you would need to buy 20 bottles of ink to get the best deal on the 92 Euro shipping...
In the end that comes out to almost $20.00 a bottle.... I don't like the ink that much...
I am going to have to ask my cousin in Bavaria about shipping cost for a couple of bottles of ink and see what he says...
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#11 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2007 - 23:25

These export shipping costs are certainly not those of the post office. They taste like UPS or FedEx or similar company prices. They really rip you off here in Europe.

I once calulated that I had to pay four or five times as much to ship a pen to Malaysia than Pengallery's 48h FedEx shipping costs from Malaysia to Europe. rolleyes.gif

And don't give up: our member Rolf Thiel ( info@missing-pen.de ) from www.missing-pen.de sells De Atramentis inks among others, and he sells worldwide. wink.gif

Edited by saintsimon, 27 August 2007 - 23:31.

#12 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2012 - 23:32

No, you shouldn't drink this ink. The ink is made out of the wine but it's more than just wine.

Sponsored Content

|