Sailor 1911 Classic

AndyHayes

Andy very nice review. Still can not believe you have given over to the dark side and put the Pelikan away for a Sailor!

Although I did see today a Sailor that interests me, the Sailor Professional Gear - Saibi Togi from Andy's Pens, but all new purchases have been put off for awhile, as I have ordered a new pen, will tell more after I get it...lol.

Enjoy your new pen.

Thanks. I have to say that the M805 still is the best of the lot. It's the filling system, style and heft that beats all of the others.

I think that it is unfair to keep us in the dark about the new purchase! Is it the long awaited Pelikan? Or something even more interesting? Do tell!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyHayes

• PelikanPenman

• Brian

• limesally

Thanks. I have to say that the M805 still is the best of the lot. It's the filling system, style and heft that beats all of the others.

I think that it is unfair to keep us in the dark about the new purchase! Is it the long awaited Pelikan? Or something even more interesting? Do tell!

:ltcapd: Sorry Andy you will just have to be patient, they said I should have it in 10 days, but not holding my breath. Sadly it is not my holy grail Pelikan, still searching for the Chicago, maybe the London show. I will say it is a break from my pelikans. I know gasp! It is even not German! But it will be my most expensive pen by far. Cheers.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

I think that it comes down to style. Every time I look at the better half's Sapporo I say mmm, that's a nice looking pen. I prefer the length of the 1911 Classic though, long but still light.

Thanks Andy and everyone else for the additional info. They both sound perfect, really. Given the similar performance, I think I might stick with the Sapporo and use the extra money to buy more ink....

Edited by limesally

I have realised that the reason that the 1911 doesn't feel as smooth as the Sapporo Mini it replaced is because of the angle that I hold the pen. I have quite a high angle of attack. Lowering the angle finds the sweet spot. If I am not mistaken one of the tines is slightly out. When my loupe arrives I will know for sure.

The pen is running Pelikan 4001 Black at the moment. I am going to fill it with MB Black next time to see if it writes any broader.

Nice review, Andy. Very readable as ever, and you lay it out so clearly.

Thanks Col. The secret is Jonro's database. Just type all of the details into the fields then push the button that says create FPN review- instantly nice layout - thanks Jonro. I believe that The Noble Savage started the layout idea. My apologies if I am wrong though.

Thanks, Andy. I'm always glad to hear from someone who is enjoying the database. Have you upgraded to the new version? I had mentioned in the original database post that the reviews were patterned after the FPN "standard" style, but didn't know that the format originated with The Noble Savage. I use the databse for my own reviews and aside from the automatic formatting, being able to save a half-written review until I'm ready to finish it makes reviews easier to write. I estimate that there are now more than 2,000 fountain pen users around the world who are tracking their collections with my database.

Regards,

Jon

....What would make it perfect is if they used a grown-up filling system like a piston filler.

I have reached the point of near critical mass with the pen collection. I now have 19 pens and have some that are so good, (for different reasons), that I only need to collect one more. (my italics)

Yes I lust after a Sailor King of Pen, a Pelikan Chicago, a DaniTrio Densho or Mikado raw ebonite plus many others...

...I intend to treat myself to a Nakaya (blackish red -tamenuri) writer portable size with a 2 tone nib. Needless to say, it will be fitted with a rhodium clip!

:ltcapd:

It reminds me of myself...no, I'm OK with the pens I have.... :glare:

Very nice review, it is a very pretty classical looking pen with a good reputation (that's what I've read here in FPN). And you're right! I like best the rhodium.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Sailor 1911 - A Short Term Update

I was really impressed with the nib on the Sailor Sapporo Mini that I bought but the size of the pen and the cartridge only system put me off so I gave it to my better half. I decided that I would get a 1911 to replace it. When it came the nib was smooth, but not as good as the Sapporo. I have discovered that this is because I rotate the nib when I use it, hence why obliques work well for me. Rotating the nib moves it away from the sweet spot so I have to consciously twist the pen in my grip to get it to where it should be.

I wrote a letter yesterday and it was necessary to fill up the pen afterwards as there was little ink left in the convertor - it started full. In the evening I wrote another letter and this time I completely emptied the pen and had to pick up my Pelikan 805 to finish off the last two pages.

So I get 9 - 11 A4 pages, (don't you just wish that I was writing to you!), out of the Sailor, but the Pelikan 805 does 20 or more. Both pens have broad nib variants.

What I would really like is a piston filling 1911 or King of Pen. Alternatively I would like a better convertor for the Sailor as they seem to have made it really slim compared to what it could be. In the meantime I think that my Pelikan 805 will stillbe at the top of my pen list for the sort of use that I put my pens to.

Great well-written review, AndyHayes. I really enjoyed the read! Plus I'm a Sapporo fan.

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

Andy, there is a Sailor piston filler, the Realo, if you can find one.

Cheers.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

• 4 weeks later...

Andy,

OK, after all those posts about the Sailor 1911 I had to get one and here are my comparative notes about the Sailor 1911 Classic with Rhodium Trim:

-Ordering from Pam: This was a perfect experience and I don't think it gets much better than the prompt, courteous service from Oscar Braun.

-The 1911 is a very light pen perfect for long bouts of writing. Combined with an EF nib this pen goes for about a week before needing filling up.

-The nib is superb. Under a loup the tines are well aligned and the point fairly well polished. One thing about EF nibs is that you need to find a fairly smooth and hard paper to exploit it's abilities. Having the right paper makes this pen shine and the flow rate is near perfect...not too dry and not too inky. It writes smoothly and is a real joy to use.

-The 1911 is not a big pen. In fact, it is smaller than a MB 146 which was disappointing at first. However, after living with it for about a month I find it OK. After all if you want big Sailor makes the King of Pen.

-Summary: This pen has a terrific EF point perfect for performing edits. It is a handsome and understated copy of a MB design that they really don't need to follow because the goodness is built in.

Thanks for the review and sharing your experience.

• 3 years later...

Re reading this post has helped me decide to go for one at The Writing Desk... :thumbup:

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

The Sailor 1911 full-size is my most expensive pen and the one I am most often reaching for. Sailor Nibs are perfection! However, mine was a bit scratchy when I first got it....but on the second day, it was the perfection I now admire. Don't know if it was a Sailor trick :rolleyes: ...."aha! I will make you think 'scratchy' and then turn into your finest pen!"...and it did....it is beguiling! :happyberet:

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

I'm still agonizing over my first Japanese pen, to get a truly awesome nib. Although I have decided on a Sailor product, I am finding it hard to justify the expense of a full size 1911 or equivalent. I am very happy to write with Parker 61s, prefer a slightly larger 51. Will a Sapporo work out for me? Or a 1911 Mid (is that correct?)? Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Nimesh

• 2 months later...

I am back after a long time away. Just asking a question in the repairs forum, but notice that this has floated back up to the top again. The first post was made in 2007.

I got to about 40 pens and stopped collecting. Sadly I do little writing these days. I used to keep a journal but during a phase of depression I thought that I had best not write my thoughts in there in case any of my family ever read them! You will probably be horrified to know that I have discovered a gel rollerball that I like and mostly write with one of them these days - Stabilo Bionic Worker from www.cultpens.com - no affiliation with them. After having a £100 pen knife go missing at work I decided that I didn't want to lose any of my pens, so there is an incredibly cheap piston filler in my drawer that I can't even remember the make/model of. It is full of red ink for corrections - should have been a school teacher!

Nice to be back and glad to see that the reviews are still being read. I don't feel able to offer any advice at the moment as my knowledge is so out of date.

Best wishes

Andy

I'm a new proud owner of a Sailor 1911mid MF (couldn't make up my mind about F or M). I am a Pelikan devotee and I think I have reached the peak of pens in my collection. It is nice to own one good 14K smooth writer for that desert island companion. There are three recent posts about Sailors..I posted some writing samples.

Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps

W He

• 4 months later...

That is a very helpful review.

Thank you!

I own a Sapporo and I do want to buy a 1911 full size next month.

I truly love Sailors for every day use and I regret that I did not bought one earlier. My Sapporo already met the tile of my house for about 3 times (caped) and not even a scratch!!!!!

"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)

I am back after a long time away. Just asking a question in the repairs forum, but notice that this has floated back up to the top again. The first post was made in 2007.

I got to about 40 pens and stopped collecting. Sadly I do little writing these days. I used to keep a journal but during a phase of depression I thought that I had best not write my thoughts in there in case any of my family ever read them! You will probably be horrified to know that I have discovered a gel rollerball that I like and mostly write with one of them these days - Stabilo Bionic Worker from www.cultpens.com - no affiliation with them. After having a £100 pen knife go missing at work I decided that I didn't want to lose any of my pens, so there is an incredibly cheap piston filler in my drawer that I can't even remember the make/model of. It is full of red ink for corrections - should have been a school teacher!

Nice to be back and glad to see that the reviews are still being read. I don't feel able to offer any advice at the moment as my knowledge is so out of date.

Best wishes

Andy welcome back.

Although I do not know you I will wish you only one thing. Keep writing no matter what or when.

I do understand you though. What I usually do to secure my diaries is I lock them in my home office although my other half is dieing to read them....!

"Ignorance of all things is an evil neither terrible nor excessive, nor yet the greatest of all; but great cleverness and much learning, if they be accompanied by a bad training, are a much greater misfortune."

Plato (Greek philosopher 428-348 B.C.)