Just crossed my mind...

Ruaidhri

An interesting distinction just crossed my mind while looking over some of the initial posts here.

What about criticism??

This is somewhere we'll need to thread carefully. I personally normally don't comment, except on actual workmanship and/or materials.

Design is a very personal thing!

I do know from my own turning (only about 30 years of it) that what one person thinks is "Oooooo BEAUTIFUL" is to someone else ridiculous or plain HORRIBLE :)

This also applies to tastes in pens - I tend to like mine fairly plain in design - others love intricate overlay.

Just a few thoughts. Your comments would be interesting.

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruaidhri

• CasmiUK

• jd50ae

• hardyb

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossed your mind?

That suggests something that I am not ready to grasp.

Yes......any thought that successfully crossed his mind without falling into the abysss is powerful indeed! :ltcapd:

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

Perhaps a phrases like "Suggestions Welcome" "Improvements?" "Design critique invited" "Positive insights/No death threats please" "Exceed it or Beat It" could be included to let the reading audience know the wishes of the submitter?

The Danitrio Fellowship

I can not believe the members on here would be so crass and rude as to insult someone's hard work and artistic experience. At least I hope they would not. And for the odd one or two here or there, how about the moderator just editing them out.

Cheers

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

Perhaps a phrases like "Suggestions Welcome" "Improvements?" "Design critique invited" "Positive insights/No death threats please" "Exceed it or Beat It" could be included to let the reading audience know the wishes of the submitter?

Sounds like an idea :)

Personally I welcome criticism, so long as it is constructive. Advice is also VERY welcome - hopefully we can all learn from one another.

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Personally I welcome criticism, so long as it is constructive. Advice is also VERY welcome - hopefully we can all learn from one another.

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

So far I agree with the statements quoted here. However, I have seen these "good intentions" explode into flame wars within the space of a heartbeat. I wold love to see the membership here prove that we are more civilized than members at other internet sites.

Larry Korn

Virginia Beach, VA

"An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert Heinlein, "The roads Must Roll"

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

So far I agree with the statements quoted here. However, I have seen these "good intentions" explode into flame wars within the space of a heartbeat. I wold love to see the membership here prove that we are more civilized than members at other internet sites.

I think that as long as someone puts out the caveat "criticism welcome", then thumbs up.

I know that sometimes forums can be flamey, but this one in particular is pretty tame (very refreshing).

Personally, I would love to be able to post a new design of mine, and have the feedback of this international forum to tell me if they like the design, or what they would change about it.....it would help me plenty as a pen designer/maker.

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

I think that as long as someone puts out the caveat "criticism welcome", then thumbs up.

I know that sometimes forums can be flamey, but this one in particular is pretty tame (very refreshing).

Personally, I would love to be able to post a new design of mine, and have the feedback of this international forum to tell me if they like the design, or what they would change about it.....it would help me plenty as a pen designer/maker.

Could'nt agree more with all of the above statements!! I'm really new into turning pens and honestly, just getting back into turning anything since high school(almost 20 years ago!!), so, 'bout anything would be welcomed by meself. (Except for comments on my choice of Football team :rolleyes: , I hear enough of that from my cousin's soon to be husband - dern Irishman!! Forget Man City - WE had Keane!!)

So far, all of the comments I've gotten on the few pens I've held onto long enough to show anyone have been along the lines of "What do you mean you made it??" and "Where's mine - I want one!" so, anything is something....

Edited by Red Devils forever

"Never mind the mind of a madman!!" - Sir Alex Ferguson