The 18th Annual Michigan Pen Show

mp3

Greetings all!

The 18th Annual Michigan Pen Show is coming up fast!

The show is scheduled for September 7th & 8th (Friday & Saturday, NO SUNDAY!!!)

FRIDAY: 2 pm – 8 pm

SATURDAY: 10 am – 5 pm

SUNDAY – NO SHOW

Located at the Hilton Northfield Detroit/Troy 5500 Crooks Road, Troy, Michigan, 48098-2806 800-HILTONS or 248-879-2100

The Michigan Pen Show is the one of the oldest and friendliest. It's organized by the Michigan Pen Collectors club.

The purpose of our show is to have fun and benefit the attendees in the form of knowledge shared and camaraderie with other pen folks.

Come join us for the upcoming 18th Annual Michigan Pen Show, September 7th & 8th.

For more information, visit our website http://www.michpens.com

Regards,

Mark

Edited by mp3

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mp3

• pen2paper

• MikeW

• RayMan

Top Posters In This Topic

I will bump it again for you.

We have two carloads (about 8 people) coming from the South-Western Ontario Pen Club on Saturday. Looking forward to it!

Maybe we should get "team" jerseys? :eureka:

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

[The 18th Annual Michigan Pen Show is coming up fast!

The show is scheduled for September 7th & 8th (Friday & Saturday)

SUNDAY – NO SHOW

Located at the Hilton Northfield Detroit/Troy 5500 Crooks Road, Troy, Michigan,48098-2806 800-HILTONS or 248-879-2100

Mark]

I have a question about some of the pen related items & advice which might be found at the MI show..

Besides new & vintage pens, inks.

Will there be a variety of ink friendly papers..

will anyone have ink friendly Planners? or are such items not usually at shows due to brick & mortar big box availabilty?

any possibility that the whiteline papers will be available?

Have concerns about inkflow on my new Carene... perhaps its just inferior paper checks I'm using... or how this medium nib is... have only used Waterman purple ink so far.. ..will there be specific people I should make inquiries to at this show?

Thanks,

p2p

Greetings all!

SUNDAY – NO SHOW

Located at the Hilton Northfield Detroit/Troy 5500 Crooks Road, Troy, Michigan, 48098-2806 800-HILTONS or 248-879-2100

The Michigan Pen Show is the one of the oldest and friendliest. It's organized by the Michigan Pen Collectors club.

The purpose of our show is to have fun and benefit the attendees in the form of knowledge shared and camaraderie with other pen folks.

Come join us for the upcoming 18th Annual Michigan Pen Show, September 7th & 8th.

Regards,

Mark

I'll be there. My first pen show.

Regards,

Ray

There will be dealers with paper - Susan Wirth, Jim Partridge, etc.

As to the flow problem, feel free to talk to repair guys, but don't forget vintage dealers too, vintage guys are great at twiking and eager to help and share knowledge.

[The 18th Annual Michigan Pen Show is coming up fast!

The show is scheduled for September 7th & 8th (Friday & Saturday)

SUNDAY – NO SHOW

Located at the Hilton Northfield Detroit/Troy 5500 Crooks Road, Troy, Michigan,48098-2806 800-HILTONS or 248-879-2100

Mark]

I have a question about some of the pen related items & advice which might be found at the MI show..

Besides new & vintage pens, inks.

Will there be a variety of ink friendly papers..

will anyone have ink friendly Planners? or are such items not usually at shows due to brick & mortar big box availabilty?

any possibility that the whiteline papers will be available?

Have concerns about inkflow on my new Carene... perhaps its just inferior paper checks I'm using... or how this medium nib is... have only used Waterman purple ink so far.. ..will there be specific people I should make inquiries to at this show?

Thanks,

p2p

Edited by mp3

We have two carloads (about 8 people) coming from the South-Western Ontario Pen Club on Saturday. Looking forward to it!

Please do take note of the travel hours necessary from your london gathering spot to Troy.. might be a fun visit to your London meeting sometime, should work schedules allow.

Use to frequently visit friends in Windsor & Harrow.

p2p

Please do take note of the travel hours necessary from your london gathering spot to Troy.. might be a fun visit to your London meeting sometime, should work schedules allow.

Use to frequently visit friends in Windsor & Harrow.

p2p

Yes we will thanks. The border crossing times have been terribly lately - 2-3 hours in some cases. We are hoping that an early start will prevent us from being parked on the bridge for a long time. However, we won't know for sure until we get there.

You are always welcome to attend one of our meetings.

MikeW

The border crossing times have been terribly lately - 2-3 hours in some cases. We are hoping that an early start will prevent us from being parked on the bridge for a long time. However, we won't know for sure until we get there.

I haven't been to Canada for a long time, but I always had better luck crossing at Port Huron/Sarnia than at Detroit/Windsor.

Looking at a map, I'm guessing you'd cross at Port Huron/Sarnia. Is it THAT bad now?

The border crossing times have been terribly lately - 2-3 hours in some cases. We are hoping that an early start will prevent us from being parked on the bridge for a long time. However, we won't know for sure until we get there.

I haven't been to Canada for a long time, but I always had better luck crossing at Port Huron/Sarnia than at Detroit/Windsor.

Looking at a map, I'm guessing you'd cross at Port Huron/Sarnia. Is it THAT bad now?

Yes, our closest crossing is at Sarnia/Port Huron on the Bluewater Bridge and it is that bad. We have to travel that bridge all the time because my in-laws are in Fenton and around the Detroit area.

Our other option is the ferry at Sombra, just south of Sarnia.

The Windsor-Detroit crossing (either the Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel) is just too far out of our way.

Edited by MikeW

MikeW

Yes, our closest crossing is at Sarnia/Port Huron on the Bluewater Bridge and it is that bad. We have to travel that bridge all the time because my in-laws are in Fenton and around the Detroit area.

Our other option is the ferry at Sombra, just south of Sarnia.

The Windsor-Detroit crossing (either the Ambassador Bridge or the tunnel) is just too far out of our way.

On the 5pm local news they reported on traffic backups at the Bluewater Bridge Sarnia...

so esp if you are traveling after work on Friday, I suggest you do some online pre-checks

& adjust your crossing time & place accordingly... Sat should be ok.

MI expressways have live camera & signs, + helicopter traffic reporting...

3 more days! getting excited!

p2p

wait ..news update now.. 402 at ... bluewater bridge authority.... reports smoother today. wow, 4.900 trucks cross each day..

see online traffic update for both bridges>>>for you... next post below

Edited by pen2paper

Greetings all!

SUNDAY – NO SHOW

Regards,

Mark

http://www.bwba.org

http://www.ambassadorbridge.com/bridge-report.php

added Bluewater & Ambassador Bridge Traffic Udate Links > see above:

p2p

Edited by pen2paper

On the 5pm local news they reported on the huge backups at the Bluewater Bridge Sarnia... (including porta-potties for those stranded waiting)

So I suggest you do some online pre-checks & adjust your crossing time & place accordingly...

MI expressways have live camera & signs, + helicopter traffic reporting...

not sure of the border issues & specific reports, but there must be something to help you decide & plan ahead?

My last crossing was pre-9/11 & waited maybe 10 minutes tops.! like pre-WWI, another era long ago.

Don't be discouraged though.. just find correct crossing info.

3 more days! getting excited!

p2p

wait ..news update now.. 402 at ... bluewater bridge authority.... reports smoother today. wow, 4.900 trucks cross each day..

perhaps the BWBA has an online site... will check this out.

see info for you... next post

Folks, I am gratified to learn of the large contigent of pen friends from Canada! I look forward to meeting all of you at our pen show this weekend.

FWIW, when I drove to the Toronto pen show in July, I went through the border crossing in Port Huron/Sarnia and there was nothing but a 10-minute wait. That was of course at 7am Saturday, so your experience may be different at 9am on Saturday of our show.

I suggest that you monitor AM 950 for WWJ (US) or AM800 WCKLW (Canadian) for border traffic information. Crossing the border during rush-hour traffic from 3-6pm would not be optimal.

For those of you attempting to make the drive on Friday evening and staying the night, the hotel still has rooms. If you are quoted a different rate than US$89, make your reservation and give me your confirmation number. I will have my hotel contact make the adjustment. My email is LTW(at)Parker75.com after you replace the (at).

Regards,

Lih-Tah Wong

www.Parker75.com